Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

We're All Guinea Pigs in a Failed Experiment

Featured Replies

  • Author
What exactly is the wrong information?

 

It's no secret sugar and processed food is bad for you. Eating a plant based natural diet is and always would be the best way to go. It's a matter of laziness and making your own bad decisions. (Guilty here)

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but we should be take the brunt of the responsibility for letting it happen.

 

Read the article. It gives the background.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Should they be allowed to advertise something as "healthy" that isn't? Heck no.

 

Do I still think most of the blame for obesity falls on the individual in the overwhelming majority of circumstances? Yeah. If you fat, eat chicken and vegetables. Go for a walk. Ride a bike. Use the stairs. Take up smoking to curb your appetite(just kidding. But seriously it kinda worked for me...)

 

Without a doubt, lack of self control is a MAJOR player. My point here isn't pointing out that obvious explanation. My point was the complicity of the MAN in all of this.

The world isn't black and white like that. People believe that they have done the right thing. Watch cholesterol, watch fat intakes, exercise. All this time, that was a lie. They listened to the AHA and other health agencies. I'm not just talking about obese people here. I'm talking about people that at 10-20 lbs overweight who keep trying to do the right thing.

 

So the individual shoulders none of the blame in your mind?

 

Seems like common sense to me....

 

Fruits/Veggies = good

 

Carbs/sugars/salts = not so good

  • Author
So the individual shoulders none of the blame in your mind?

 

Seems like common sense to me....

 

Fruits/Veggies = good

 

Carbs/sugars/salts = not so good

 

I never said that, in fact, below I said the opposite. My point is that it isn't that simple. You guys are sharp. Most of you are ex-athletes. You educate yourselves beyond what ABC Nightly News or whoever reports. This is about the people who don't, or don't know what they are looking at when they do. Most people don't dump spoonfuls of sugar on their cereal. But...they also don't realize that Cheerios are the same thing as sugar in the metabolic process. They don't pay attention to the fact that their organic orange juice has almost as much sugar as a Sprite.

Not significantly it isn't.

 

It's why we decided to make our own baby food for our little man. It's way cheaper and it's completely free of preservatives and additives. All it takes is a little bit more time.

 

I get it. And I don't disagree. My point is only that not everyone is in the same situation as you. Access is a major problem in many urban areas. For many, convenience can outweigh the monetary savings.

I never said that, in fact, below I said the opposite. My point is that it isn't that simple. You guys are sharp. Most of you are ex-athletes. You educate yourselves beyond what ABC Nightly News or whoever reports. This is about the people who don't, or don't know what they are looking at when they do. Most people don't dump spoonfuls of sugar on their cereal. But...they also don't realize that Cheerios are the same thing as sugar in the metabolic process. They don't pay attention to the fact that their organic orange juice has almost as much sugar as a Sprite.

 

And that all circles back to personal responsibility in my eyes.

 

Who's fault is it that they don't know about that stuff?

 

You blame the "MAN". I blame the individual.

I get it. And I don't disagree. My point is only that not everyone is in the same situation as you. Access is a major problem in many urban areas. For many, convenience can outweigh the monetary savings.

 

I guess I'm confused by what you mean when you say "Access". Are you saying there aren't grocery stores in urban areas?

Again, not saying it isn't possible, especially if you are more fortunate. But, as I said, healthy choices for many are very limited, especially in the inner cities. And even for those with access, just take a look inside your local Kroger. You have whole aisles loaded with cheap, processed foods. Healthy choices aren't always easy to find, and in some cases, things are labeled as healthy really aren't so healthy. And I'd bet the farm (pun intended) that a cart full of healthy stuff is going to be more expensive than non healthy stuff.

I've never seen the produce and veggie sections empty.

 

The reason my cart isn't full of them is because I'm lazy some of the time and it doesn't taste as good as Twinkies and cinnamon toast crunch. You are letting the public off too easy IMO. If more people made better decisions you woudn't see an entire isle with only sugar filled cereals. You'd see an extra section of veggies.

 

I'm sure the cereal companies and processed food companies are trying to get in bed with anyone they can throwing all kinds of $$$ around with lobbyists. It's our job to be educated and make the good decisions. We can look at a label and see whats in this stuff. We have an incredible wealth of knowledge from the internet we never had before. Look at the label and google it and do some research. (Not you specifically, just people in general)

I guess I'm confused by what you mean when you say "Access". Are you saying there aren't grocery stores in urban areas?

 

Yes. Or that the grocery stores that are available, are smaller and not as well stocked. How many grocery stores have you seen in the less fortunate areas of Cincinnati?? I lived in Philly for several years, and in a nice area. Even so, the Closest grocery store was a 20 minute drive, or 30+minutes by bus. Plenty of small local convenience stores though within walking distance. And the further away you are, the more storage becomes a problem. Fresh food doesn't last as long, and you're making less trips to the store. We are very lucky here in the burbs. Lots of choices within reasonable distance.

Yes. Or that the grocery stores that are available, are smaller and not as well stocked. How many grocery stores have you seen in the less fortunate areas of Cincinnati?? I lived in Philly for several years, and in a nice area. Even so, the Closest grocery store was a 20 minute drive, or 30+minutes by bus. Plenty of small local convenience stores though within walking distance. And the further away you are, the more storage becomes a problem. Fresh food doesn't last as long, and you're making less trips to the store. We are very lucky here in the burbs. Lots of choices within reasonable distance.

 

It's easy to not know what is going on in other places different from how you are accustomed to living.

I've never seen the produce and veggie sections empty.

 

The reason my cart isn't full of them is because I'm lazy some of the time and it doesn't taste as good as Twinkies and cinnamon toast crunch. You are letting the public off too easy IMO. If more people made better decisions you woudn't see an entire isle with only sugar filled cereals. You'd see an extra section of veggies.

 

I'm not disagreeing. And the point you make, refers to convenience. Convenience is a major factor for many people. Convenience in storage, how long food lasts, how it tastes, often outweighs what's healthy. It's a struggle for many, myself included.

I'm not disagreeing. And the point you make, refers to convenience. Convenience is a major factor for many people. Convenience in storage, how long food lasts, how it tastes, often outweighs what's healthy. It's a struggle for many, myself included.

 

And who's fault is that? Surely you aren't placing the blame for that on the "MAN", are you?

Yes. Or that the grocery stores that are available, are smaller and not as well stocked. How many grocery stores have you seen in the less fortunate areas of Cincinnati?? I lived in Philly for several years, and in a nice area. Even so, the Closest grocery store was a 20 minute drive, or 30+minutes by bus. Plenty of small local convenience stores though within walking distance. And the further away you are, the more storage becomes a problem. Fresh food doesn't last as long, and you're making less trips to the store. We are very lucky here in the burbs. Lots of choices within reasonable distance.

 

While I don't know for certain, I don't think there is an area of Cincinnati that you can't get to a grocery store within a 10-15 minute drive. To me that's a reasonable distance.

It's easy to not know what is going on in other places different from how you are accustomed to living.

 

Which is a fair point and I'm sure it effects some areas. As far as what @rjs4470 referenced not sure of anywhere in Cincinnati that it would take 30 minutes to find a grocery store.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.