June 6, 20179 yr Did you feel hungry? You shouldn't feel hungry when you change the way you eat. that is a recipe for disaster. I'd say that the fats were too low. I'd sub whole eggs for egg whites, or add an avocado. That is where satiety comes from. The general idea behind any change in the way you eat is not to "diet." That fails for so many reasons. It is to find the healthiest lifestyle that you will be able to follow. It isn't about 100% adherence. 80/20 is fine. If you life a healthy lifestyle, indulging at a family party, or on a Sunday with neighbors actually helps you. It allows you to reset yourself a little physiologically and psychologically. It actually progresses to exactly what you say, as you cycle through the remaining cycles, including treating yourself on weekends. It is called a diet, but it really becomes a life style change. It worked for me for two years. I could kick myself for slowly going back to "the old way." Thanks for your time.
June 6, 20179 yr Author If anyone is bored tonight, search "sugar" on Netflix. Fed Up and a few others are good, if not completely biased against the food industry. They do, however, give you pause and something to think about. The McGovern report and the WHO sugar study are examples of lobbyists paying off members of Congress. They are worth the watch
June 6, 20179 yr Author I think we're arguing the same thing from two different perspectives. The only part of this I took issue with was the notion that it was somehow a conspiracy by those responsible for our health that led to people having a misunderstanding of basic human health. Too many carbs are bad. Too few carbs also bad. Too much fat is bad (particularly saturated fat). Too little fat is also bad. As I've said multiple times, a well balanced diet is the best recommendation. I don't know what to say. It was a blatant conspiracy on the part of certain industries. Google Sugar and Harvard.
June 7, 20179 yr Since no one in this thread was born with innate knowledge of how our bodies react to various foods/additives/chemicals/etc there are only two ways to KNOW what's good for you or what's bad for you. You are either a scientist who does your own experiments on a regular basis OR you learned it from somewhere else which was probably a study by scientists. To say you just know what's good for your child without acknowledging you got your info from a study - flawed as it may be - is pure ignorance. The OP has validity. Watch "Food Inc" if you want to see how conglomerates influence the FDA message and rulings. Took 71 posts for someone to finally get what @mexitucky was getting at.
June 7, 20179 yr I guess I'm confused by what you mean when you say "Access". Are you saying there aren't grocery stores in urban areas? You should do a lot more research on food deserts before you speak on topics you obviously have zero familiarity with.
June 7, 20179 yr Others are shunned on BGP for diverting a conversation about the norm and majority of society to an extreme. If you want to talk complete extremes, as you are trying to do, this discussion will go no where. If you want to act like her examples are an extreme then you set yourself up for a statement like what PP92 made. Millions of Americans live what Rockmom has described every day. Many with even less.
June 7, 20179 yr I don't think that there is 1 real problem. It is a combination of factors touched on in here. This thread was to highlight one of the major factors. I'd say the factors are 1. Willful neglect/personal responsibility 2. Willful lying to the public regarding nutrition 3. Sloth (which, in many cases, is a result of foods impact on already overweight individuals) 4. Lack of education 5. Lack of access to healthy alternatives whether due to finance or geography. Kudos. One of the best posts in here. This issue isn't black and white. Yes, it is about personal responsibility. But there is a myriad web of other contributing factors.
June 7, 20179 yr You should do a lot more research on food deserts before you speak on topics you obviously have zero familiarity with. Thanks Mom. I'll ask whatever questions I see fit to ask.
June 7, 20179 yr Thanks Mom. I'll ask whatever questions I see fit to ask. If you want to show you don't have the slightest clue or understanding of a topic that is on you. In this case you obviously don't and it's painfully clear.
June 7, 20179 yr If you want to show you don't have the slightest clue or understanding of a topic that is on you. In this case you obviously don't and it's painfully clear. Again, your cold and callous view of the world as always this black and white entity couldn't be more wrong. Isn't me asking him for clarification about what he meant a sign that I'm looking to understand his point? You're reaching and looking for something that wasn't there. My whole and only point in this thread is that the reason for people being overweight and unhealthy is not the government's fault as was suggested in the OP.
June 7, 20179 yr Isn't me asking him for clarification about what he meant a sign that I'm looking to understand his point? You're reaching and looking for something that wasn't there. My whole and only point in this thread is that the reason for people being overweight and unhealthy is not the government's fault as was suggested in the OP. The rest of your posting in this thread shows your intent was pretty clear...
June 7, 20179 yr Isn't me asking him for clarification about what he meant a sign that I'm looking to understand his point? You're reaching and looking for something that wasn't there. My whole and only point in this thread is that the reason for people being overweight and unhealthy is not the government's fault as was suggested in the OP. I think the bigger issue is that there are lots of reasons, and you cannot exclude the issue of access, and you can't exlude the government's role, and you can't exclude the food industry's role, and you can't exclude personal responsibility. It's actually a complex issue. Since Mexitucky listed both financial and geographic access above, I assume you and MJ will now allow a discussion of those factors.
June 7, 20179 yr If you want to act like her examples are an extreme then you set yourself up for a statement like what PP92 made. Millions of Americans live what Rockmom has described every day. Many with even less. We can completely turn the conversation into talking about the poorest of of the poor, what they have to experience and what there lack of choices are. Sounds like a solid thread. Or we can talk about the difference between the studies and knowledge that is provided to the general public, while at times corruptly as @mexitucky is trying to argue and what it seemed the thread intended was intended to do. All because someone posted that people have choices doesn't mean we need to turn into a discussion over who has choices and who doesn't.
June 7, 20179 yr The rest of your posting in this thread shows your intent was pretty clear... What other posts did I have that said anything about people having access to grocery stores other than asking that question and answering his follow-up? I don't think it's the government's fault that people are unhealthy. I don't agree with him in any way, shape, or form about that. Neither do quite a few others in here.
June 7, 20179 yr We can completely turn the conversation into talking about the poorest of of the poor, what they have to experience and what there lack of choices are. Sounds like a solid thread. Or we can talk about the difference between the studies and knowledge that is provided to the general public, while at times corruptly at @mexitucky is trying to argue and what it seemed the thread intended was intended to do. All because someone posted that people have choices doesn't mean we need to turn into a discussion over who has choices and who doesn't. Again. "The poorest of the poor". Seriously. C'mon man. That is NOT what we are talking about. Your verbiage and language continues to assert that these are extreme examples when I can assure you they aren't. It's not just the West End. Go to any number of rural counties sprinkled throughout our state and checkout what food they have access too.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.