Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

We're All Guinea Pigs in a Failed Experiment

Featured Replies

You're absolutely right, I haven't. And I'm incredibly proud of that.

 

What makes you proud of that? Not being snotty, sincerely curious.

 

For instance, I am proud of myself for bettering my circumstances. But I fully acknowledge I managed to wind up in some circumstances that presented opportunities to me not avaliable to others. In most cases, it literally was dumb luck. I never forget that. It would not be a stretch to say that without those opportunities, I'd still be struggling.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes you proud of that? Not being snotty, sincerely curious.

 

For instance, I am proud of myself for bettering my circumstances. But I fully acknowledge I managed to wind up in some circumstances that presented opportunities to me not avaliable to others. In most cases, it literally as dumb luck. I never forget that. It would not be a stretch to say that without those opportunities, I'd still be struggling.

 

Because I worked my butt off in school, because of my hard work I didn't have to pay a dime for my college. I worked hard in college and have been able to turn my education into a successful career. I'm damn proud of that. I got a job when I was 15 and have been working ever since. Outside of tuition and food, I pretty much paid for everything for myself since I started working. Same with my brothers.

 

My parents worked their tails off when I was little to make sure we never wanted for anything. My mom put herself through high school because her mom didn't have the money to pay for it. My Dad worked for 8 years going to school a couple nights a week to get a degree while working full-time to better his career and put us through Catholic schools and make sure we were provided for. I'm incredibly proud of how hard they worked.

 

Yes, I was born into a good situation, but they created that situation with hard work and instilled in me (and my brothers) a work ethic that allowed us to carry it on to be successful and be able to (hopefully) provide the same and then some to my kids.

 

It wasn't handed to them, or me. They and I have worked for everything we've had and I'm not ever going to be anything but proud of that. I don't know why some (and I'm not talking about you or anyone on here) feel that people shouldn't be proud of their success, especially when it's come from hard work.

 

Just as your proud of what you've accomplished, why shouldn't others be proud of their accomplishments?

 

As far as it being dumb luck in your situation, luck is simply where opportunity meets preparation. You should be proud that in those situations you recognized the opportunity and took advantage of them. A lot of people don't do that.

MJ, I most certainly was not of the extreme. And I like to think you are not intentionally being condescending. But the tone you of your words is very dismissive of a very large segment of society. Part of me I'd happy for you that you are unaware, because that means you haven't ever had to live like that. The other part of me is upset, because your lack of awareness is indicative of societies attitude as a whole, toward that group of people who receive no benefits, but make too little to even have the opportunity to make better choices. It's not a political statement. It's just a statement of fact for millions and millions of people.

@rockmom. I do apologize, I don't mean to come off as condescending and I can definitely see that I have.

 

I think I'll just shut up now and quit digging deeper into the hole.

You can list as many reason as you want. I'm in the camp that believes personal responsibility is the number one reason for our America's weight problems and it is by far.

 

Haven't we always had people that struggled to get by? Yes. For the most part, haven't we always lack of access in certain areas? Yes. Heck, me asking and answering those two questions just bumps up's @mexitcuky's idea about the government to an even larger factor.

 

To the embolden portion, I both agree and disagree. Someone eating nothing but junk and is just sloppy over weight, needs look no further than the mirror to place blame. But what about those who make what they believe are all the right diet choices but just can't get to a health weight or just don't feel healthy and can't figure out why?

 

The problem is what they believe are the right choices is based on the information from our government, our doctors, and so called experts? When it turns out it's actually bad information. How many food pyramids or plates or what ever they want to come out with is our government going to publish before they get it right?

 

It's not as black and white as blaming the individual.

Because I worked my butt off in school, because of my hard work I didn't have to pay a dime for my college. I worked hard in college and have been able to turn my education into a successful career. I'm damn proud of that. I got a job when I was 15 and have been working ever since. Outside of tuition and food, I pretty much paid for everything for myself since I started working. Same with my brothers.

 

My parents worked their tails off when I was little to make sure we never wanted for anything. My mom put herself through high school because her mom didn't have the money to pay for it. My Dad worked for 8 years going to school a couple nights a week to get a degree while working full-time to better his career and put us through Catholic schools and make sure we were provided for. I'm incredibly proud of how hard they worked.

 

Yes, I was born into a good situation, but they created that situation with hard work and instilled in me (and my brothers) a work ethic that allowed us to carry it on to be successful and be able to (hopefully) provide the same and then some to my kids.

 

It wasn't handed to them, or me. They and I have worked for everything we've had and I'm not ever going to be anything but proud of that. I don't know why some (and I'm not talking about you or anyone on here) feel that people shouldn't be proud of their success, especially when it's come from hard work.

 

Just as your proud of what you've accomplished, why shouldn't others be proud of their accomplishments?

 

As far as it being dumb luck in your situation, luck is simply where opportunity meets preparation. You should be proud that in those situations you recognized the opportunity and took advantage of them. A lot of people don't do that.

 

Honest question. If your parents didn't start you in a great situation do you think you would have gotten to be where you are? At the very least. Do you think it would've been substantially harder.

@rockmom. I do apologize, I don't mean to come off as condescending and I can definitely see that I have.

 

I think I'll just shut up now and quit digging deeper into the hole.

 

I've been there myself and it's easy to do. I grew up with a rather privileged upbringing and it's taken life experiences to see that the reason many people don't or can't get out of bad situations isn't always as black and white as we see.

 

I try and strive to see things from other perspectives as it's the best that I can do.

 

I know you're a good dude and I feel you'll attempt to do so as well.

Honest question. If your parents didn't start you in a great situation do you think you would have gotten to be where you are? At the very least. Do you think it would've been substantially harder.

 

Honestly don't know. Would like to think so, but I'm a firm believer that you get your work ethic and ambition from what's instilled in you as a child.

 

But yes, I'd venture it probably would've been more difficult.

 

Regardless I'm very proud of what they and I have accomplished and don't understand why anyone would think I shouldn't be.

Honestly don't know. Would like to think so, but I'm a firm believer that you get your work ethic and ambition from what's instilled in you as a child.

 

Regardless I'm very proud of what they and I have accomplished and don't understand why anyone would think I shouldn't be.

 

No reason not to be proud of what you've accomplished. Your original wording just seemed weird. Like there was something wrong with having experienced that. Your longer explanation made a lot more sense.

Honestly don't know. Would like to think so, but I'm a firm believer that you get your work ethic and ambition from what's instilled in you as a child.
Do you think people in impoverished situations don't have work ethic and ambition. This post seems to imply that if you do no matter what you will come out of a situation.
No reason not to be proud of what you've accomplished. Your original wording just seemed weird. Like there was something wrong with having experienced that. Your longer explanation made a lot more sense.

 

That wasn't my intent. My phrasing and ability to convey my point doesn't really come across as well as I expect or would like them to far too often on here.

Do you think people in impoverished situations don't have work ethic and ambition. This post seems to imply that if you do no matter what you will come out of a situation.

 

What I was meaning is that I'd like to think that the work ethic they instilled in me would've been there regardless and gotten me through it even if they hadn't put me in a good situation. It definitely would've been harder though.

 

Now that I'm re-reading it, I can definitely see how it seems to imply what you're saying.

  • Author

10 pages. This is a personal record for a thread I started.

What I was meaning is that I'd like to think that the work ethic they instilled in me would've been there regardless and gotten me through it even if they hadn't put me in a good situation. It definitely would've been harder though.

 

Now that I'm re-reading it, I can definitely see how it seems to imply what you're saying.

 

I appreciate the additional info. That's why I asked. I am not saying you shouldn't be proud. BUT, I am imploring you to look outward and realize that there is a whole group of people out there that for any number of reasons are not as privileged as you or I. I know SO many of them. Their work ethic is strong. In fact, you'll find many of them working 2 or 3 jobs. You'll find them doing so to make things better for their kids. And I was one of the. But where you say luck is opportunity meeting preparation, it's not that simple. I literally should never have been given some of the opportunities I had. And under any normal circumstances, I'd never have been in the position to capitalize. Please don't assume people are poor because they are lazy, or choose not to better their circumstances. It is absolutely not as simple as working your way out of it.

@rockmom. I do apologize, I don't mean to come off as condescending and I can definitely see that I have.

 

I think I'll just shut up now and quit digging deeper into the hole.

 

Please don't shut up. It is good that there is discussion. All I ask is that an open mind be kept. Just consider the points. That's all.

I feel bad for those that are obese, but the bottomline for me.......it's not my problem so I really don't care, I've got other things going on in my life to concern myself with.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.