President Trump's First Foreign Trip

You have to think about it in real terms. The GDP of the United States last year was over 18 trillion dollars. The largest economy of another NATO member is Germany, which was just over $3 trillion. Even if all these countries met the 2% of GDP threshold, the USA would STILL vastly exceed the military spending of the rest of NATO due to the relative sizes of our economies.

Take out the number two economy, China, and the American economy is bigger than the next 8 on the list combined, most of which are NATO allies.

That only leads me to wonder why we aren't holding countries like Germany accountable? They need to be contributing more than anyone else (outside the US) and they aren't even hitting the 2% threshold.

That only leads me to wonder why we aren't holding countries like Germany accountable? They need to be contributing more than anyone else (outside the US) and they aren't even hitting the 2% threshold.

The 2% threshold was a new idea that began in 2014. All member nations have until 2024 to hit that objective. I think it's a good idea and I think most members will hit it by the deadline.

The 2% threshold was a new idea that began in 2014. All member nations have until 2024 to hit that objective. I think it's a good idea and I think most members will hit it by the deadline.

We need to reduce ours to exactly that immediately. No reason to be footing the bill for the slow pokes for a decade.

We need to reduce ours to exactly that immediately. No reason to be footing the bill for the slow pokes for a decade.

Our military needs and wants go WAY further than NATO's, but I get your point. We're definitely spending a fortune but I can't imagine there's much Congressional support for a reduction given our interests across the globe.

I was in Europe (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) from 5/23- 6/6. When he bailed on the Paris deal, based on the media over there, you would have thought he murdered little puppies and babies in broad daylight. The coverage of him in Europe is so over the top negative, it makes MSNBC and CNN look like Trump apologists:)...

I was in Europe (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) from 5/23- 6/6. When he bailed on the Paris deal, based on the media over there, you would have thought he murdered little puppies and babies in broad daylight. The coverage of him in Europe is so over the top negative, it makes MSNBC and CNN look like Trump apologists:)...

Unfortunately the President isn't real popular in too many places. But to be fair, many will argue that it's not his job to win popularity contests.