Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

John Higgins Speaks Out

Featured Replies

John Higgins told himself that it was just a basketball game and that he had a job to do, just as he’s done thousands of times before.

 

But it wasn’t easy walking out on the court Saturday to officiate the Gonzaga-South Carolina Final Four contest.

 

Not after thousands of phone calls, emails and Facebook postings from disgruntled Kentucky fans disrupted his roofing business and frightened his family and employees.

 

It scared him, too.

 

“I knew the eyes and cameras would be on me because of the national exposure and situation,” Higgins said. “I said to myself, ‘I’m not going to quit because of this — it’s too much pressure, it’s too hard.’ We got through it, and I thought we did a good job. I’ve got seven months to think about next year.”

 

That was Higgins’ final game until next season. But there will be no vacation. He has a company to put back together.

 

Business at Weatherguard Inc., has become somewhat more normal since phone calls with a Kentucky area code were blocked. Little business got done last week after around 25,000 contacts were made through social media after Higgins officiated the Kentucky-North Carolina game, which the Wildcats lost by two points.

 

 

 

Omaha referee John Higgins putting life back together after frightening threats from angry Kentucky fans | Local sports | omaha.com

  • Replies 90
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just stupid he had to do the things he did over basketball game. It wasn't like the Bengals or anything! Just kidding it is awful for him when it affects your business.

There was a really good article about him in last month's Referee magazine. Yes, we do get Referee magazine delivered to our home. #ateup

I bet Ted Valentine is jealous that Higgins is getting so much media attention.

I hope they give him Carolina/Kentucky next year

 

I was wondering ... do college basketball coaches get to blackball an official from their games?

 

Regardless of that, if John Higgins ever gets assigned to another UK basketball game it is a mistake for everyone. I doubt that he would ever want to do another UK game and I can't blame him.

I was wondering ... do college basketball coaches get to blackball an official from their games?

 

Regardless of that, if John Higgins ever gets assigned to another UK basketball game it is a mistake for everyone. I doubt that he would ever want to do another UK game and I can't blame him.

 

I'm not sure if they can "scratch" or not but I agree, no way if I'm him do I do it.

Pathetic this is still a story. Dude's at the very top of his profession. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

I was wondering ... do college basketball coaches get to blackball an official from their games?

 

Regardless of that, if John Higgins ever gets assigned to another UK basketball game it is a mistake for everyone. I doubt that he would ever want to do another UK game and I can't blame him.

 

I don't necessarily disagree, however, I think that if he's available, and it's a game that needs his level of expertise, in no way should the fan base of any team ever have the ability to "scratch" an official because of their behaviors.

 

Higgins is total professional and one the most highly rated officials in college basketball. The idiots of the UK fan base have shown their true selves, many are still railing about it...with no basis. I have been intentionally antagonizing these fans on social media the past 2 weeks for just this reason.

Edited by PurplePride92
Rule 8

I don't necessarily disagree, however, I think that if he's available, and it's a game that needs his level of expertise, in no way should the fan base of any team ever have the ability to "scratch" an official because of their behaviors.

 

Higgins is total professional and one the most highly rated officials in college basketball. The idiots of the UK fan base have shown their true selves, many are still railing about it...with no basis. I have been intentionally antagonizing these fans on social media the past 2 weeks for just this reason.

 

So glad I'm not alone

Edited by PurplePride92
Rule 14

I don't necessarily disagree, however, I think that if he's available, and it's a game that needs his level of expertise, in no way should the fan base of any team ever have the ability to "scratch" an official because of their behaviors.

 

Higgins is total professional and one the most highly rated officials in college basketball. The idiots of the UK fan base have shown their true selves, many are still railing about it...with no basis. I have been intentionally antagonizing these fans on social media the past 2 weeks for just this reason.

 

Well said, and I would bet if you ask him Calipari would want him on his games. Btw, coaches cannot scratch on the NCAA level.

  • Author

25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."

25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."

 

I see your point, but we also don't know how many are repeat offenders and I'm sure there are plenty of idiots that posted more than once. Didn't the article say that some idiots called 40-50 times a day?

25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."

 

Definitely more than a few, and those 25k are all idiots who need to re-evaluate their existence, but it lends validity to my thoughts that this is a minuscule % of the fan base.

 

It just sucks that so many people form their opinions on UK fans as a whole off the ignorant actions of such a small %....

25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."

 

Likely a whole bunch of duplicate posters....these tools didn't have anything better to do than blow up his FB account...they obviously weren't watching any more basketball. :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.