Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky State Parks?

Featured Replies

What are some features you like of different KY State Parks?

 

Ever stay in a Lodge or Cottage at one?

 

Are Ohio, Indiana, Tenn parks as good as KY ones?

Family vacations when I was a kid were generally spent in tents or cabins in Kentucky state parks. The lodges and cabins are well maintained and clean. I always really liked Jenny Willey, Carter Caves and Rough River, myself.

 

There are some really nice state parks in Indiana and Ohio (I've not ever been to one in Tennessee)...but the state parks in those states don't stand up across the board to Kentucky's.

Breaks Inter-State Park is a park on the Kentucky/Virginia border that is operated by both states....it's pretty awesome as well.

What are some features you like of different KY State Parks?

 

Ever stay in a Lodge or Cottage at one?

 

Are Ohio, Indiana, Tenn parks as good as KY ones?

 

Most of the Kentucky State Park Golf Courses are really good. They have the same lodge menus for meals. Food is average (at best). Lodge rooms are like a midrange hotel(think Best Western), Lots of beautiful scenery to hike, fishing at most is pretty good, I hear. Most are the only game in the area for the mentioned amenities.

 

Overall, a have had positive experiences. They are not resorts, but they are nowhere near the price of resorts. For a nice, relaxing peaceful vacation, mostly a good experience.

Most of the Kentucky State Park Gold Courses are really good. They have the same lodge menus for meals. Food is average (at best). Lodge rooms are like a midrange hotel(think Best Western), Lots of beautiful scenery to hike, fishing at most is pretty good, I hear. Most are the only game in the area for the mentioned amenities.

 

Overall, a have had positive experiences. They are not resorts, but they are nowhere near the price of resorts. For a nice, relaxing peaceful vacation, mostly a good experience.

Yep, I really like Dale Hollow's golf course. Very nice

Stayed in the lodge at Jenny Wiley a couple times when I was a kid. Remember liking it ok. I've also eaten at the lodge restaurant at General Butler and liked that experience too. We've got some really nice state parks in Kentucky. Had a trip to Natural Bridge just a year or so ago.

Burnside Island: On Lake Cumberland has no lodge but does have a redesigned golf course that is very good and a multitude of camping sites. Burnside Marina is right next to the island and a good spot to leave a boat docked during a vacation. Somerset is close so if you want to golf or enjoy the lake there are several hotels and restaurants available.

 

Lake Cumberland Resort: On the lower end of the lake near Jamestown has a marina, lodge with rooms and a restaurant. Wolf Creek Dam and National Hatchery nearby with really good trout fishing available below the dam.

Stayed in the lodge at Jenny Wiley a couple times when I was a kid. Remember liking it ok. I've also eaten at the lodge restaurant at General Butler and liked that experience too. We've got some really nice state parks in Kentucky. Had a trip to Natural Bridge just a year or so ago.

 

Been there plenty of times, always enjoyed it.

It has been many years, but the family camping amenities in KY parks are great. Naturalists have programs for kids and even evening music at times. Some don't have sites for big rigs if you are "camping" fancy.

Cumberland Falls is in my backyard, so I'm biased. Love hanging out at Dupont Lodge, hiking the many trails, climbing the fire tower and, of course, witnessing the Moonbow.

Ahhh, a question right up my alley. I travel the state for my job and have stayed, at one time or another, at every state park resort. My favorites:

 

Pennyrile Forrest SRP. One of the smaller and more "quaint" resort parks. Very quiet and peaceful. They have cabins but all of them are smaller. Stay there when I can. Golf course on site, newer back 9 is awesome. Looking for a quiet get away with the lady AND golf, this is it.

 

KY Dam Village SRP: Great park on the lake. Can be crowded at peak season. Great lodge and have big two story multiple bedroom/bathroom cottages. Good golf course.

 

Cumberland Falls: Very nice, old lodge. Been a while since I have been there.

 

Personally I don't care for Jenny Wiley, I think it's one of the poorer lodges.

We did family reunions for many years at either Rough River or Barren River.

 

We reserved a big block of cottages and each evening a different family would “host” a happy hour or cookout. Seemed to be something to do for everyone golf, hiking, fishing, pool, hanging out at the lodge to play games, etc. But the absolute best parts were renting the boats and tubing all day. Great memories!

I love everything about the nature of the Lodge at Lake Barkley. The buffet meals are very good, especially breakfast. The rooms are fairly nice, with a wooden feel to the which fits the area perfectly. Every room has a lake view out the sliding glass window. Just love the area.

 

Have had the food at Butler Lodge in Carrollton a lot -- never disappoints. Tons of food, solid quality, nice options...especially on Sundays and Holidays.

Love Kentucky State Parks. Spend a ton of time camping in them.

 

 

For out-of-state state parks Florida is heads and tails above the rest. A marvelous state park system.

KY is actually renowned for it's state park system...and they are free to access. Many other states you have to pay a fee just to get on the property of their parks.

 

Another favorite of mine is John J. Audubon State Park. It's kind of a secret but there are 6 or 7 cabins on the property secluded down by the lake, all with fireplaces and wood provided during the cold months. That's where I usually stay when traveling for work in that area.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.