Bowling Green 67 Cooper 56 (KHSAA Sweet 16 Championship Game)

Congrats to BG, 1st state title.

Early prediction; a yr. from now on championship Sunday will be more like a Sunday mass. Cov. Cath v Trinity. From what I know the top 2 teams by quite a margin in '17-18.

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, he has 6 region titles and 3 final fours. Same number of state titles and similar dominance. BG has currently won close to 50 straight 4th region games. They've only lost 3 games in January, February, and March in the last 3 years - all to the state champion in the state tournament. Have a record of 127-18 over the last 4 years. Let's not act like it's not a discussion.

Most of that success came once Riley left the 4th.

Who picks the 4-3-2-2-1-1-1-1, Media, each coach picks his own, 3 drunk fans...Who chooses?

With less then a minute to go in the game they come behind the bench and ask an assistant or head coach who the All Tournament Team members are and if you're the winner they ask the MVP as well. Believe me I know from experience hahaha.

U mean it's too early to project?

Name 2 teams better.

Why 2 teams? Your comment was "by quite a margin", just one team would throw a wrench in that statement.

IMO, it is way too early to know exactly who ends up returning for each team, or who a team just might pick up.

Just to humor you, I will throw Fern Creek and Scott Co out there.

Well, he has 6 region titles and 3 final fours. Same number of state titles and similar dominance. BG has currently won close to 50 straight 4th region games. They've only lost 3 games in January, February, and March in the last 3 years - all to the state champion in the state tournament. Have a record of 127-18 over the last 4 years. Let's not act like it's not a discussion.

If you want to say his best four years are comparable or maybe even better than Riley's best four, there you might have a discussion. You don't have a discussion yet overall. Especially when you consider where Bowling Green was when Sherrill took over (a team that had been to two of the previous three region title games) and where Warren Central was when Riley took over (a team entering probation ). And yes, you have to consider that Sherrill did not go through Riley to get to this success. Sherrill lost both region finals against Riley, and only had the '08 district tournament game against a WC team with a losing record as a victory over Riley in an elimination game. All told, Riley is 5-2 against DG in the postseason.

If Bowling Green can do it all again next year (as in winning region) - especially if Harmon isn't there - then maybe we can start the talk. Riley guiding Warren Central back to the championship game the year after losing the likes of Dewalt, Maresca, Ryan Anderson, and Whitney is still in my opinion the greatest coaching job he ever did.

Congrats to Sean and Dante (and any other 4 year players I'm leaving out) for leaving a legacy at Cooper. Not many kids get to say that.

Thanks Clyde. Those to have been together for so long it'll be weird not seeing them together. Time flies that's for sure and yes they have helped elevate the basketball and football programs no doubt. Cooper has come a long way in its short 9 year existence.

U mean it's too early to project?

Name 2 teams better.

Cooper didn't disappear. They only lost by 2 to CCH this year during the season without the McNeil brothers due to injury so I wouldn't say it's by a large margin at all. Cooper still has C McNeil, Brayden Runion, Adam Kunkel and T Ollier returning. I'm not saying Cooper will win the 9th region, but I'm definitely not saying Cov Cath is a big favorite as you think they are.

Congrats to BG, 1st state title.

Early prediction; a yr. from now on championship Sunday will be more like a Sunday mass. Cov. Cath v Trinity. From what I know the top 2 teams by quite a margin in '17-18.

Just out of curiosity what two teams were your early prediction last year?

Just out of curiosity what two teams were your early prediction last year?

I had BG winning it vs Cov cath. I believe. Right winner and regions, just missed out on Cooper. I was sleeping on them and didn't expect them to come out of the 9th.

I forgot about Scott Co. They'll be in the mix too, good call.

I can't speak of other teams but I will say that CovCath will be a favorite "IF" AJ Mayer decides to play his final season. His football recruiting will certainly continue to heat up as more offers come in. Albeit losing CVH is big they will return the 4 other starters and Jake Walter's development will certainly be even better for the 7 footer and with CJ back healthy I would say they will be right there. This is the same team basically that beat BG by 17 this year if I'm not mistaken.

Cooper could make a run but replacing McNeil's scoring and Hendrix's defense will leave big holes to fill but anything is possible. Guess that's why they play the games.

What are the chances Harmon stays in Kentucky next yr and beyond?

Slim to none. He may be at BG next year or even two years but I don't think he will graduate from BG. Once the AAU season starts and he is on the circuit the prep schools start going hard for him after his services I imagine it will be too hard to turn down. I expect to see him playing for Oak Hill Academy or Monteverde Academy at some point.