Stay at NKU or return to WKU?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of rumors swirling around the BB&T Center tonight. Two of the top ones are:

NKU vs WKU - The Commissioners are "Happy with the way things are going" at NKU this week. No decision has been made for 2018.

Combining the Girls and Boys State Tournaments in the future - It is already pretty much common knowledge that the basketball seasons shorten by a week next year, and that the Boys State Tournament is moving up a week to "avoid a conflict with the NCAA Tournament." Interpretation - Blame the NCAA Tournament for loss of revenue from the Boys State Tournament at Rupp Arena. The KHSAA cash cow is hemorrhaging and the KHSAA is desperate to find a solution, rather than to accept the 2017 demographics.

Under this premise it does make sense that they would look at combining the two tournaments in a single week format.

The boys Sweet 16 is dying a slow death at Rupp. It is the bell cow for the KHSAA.

What has happened? By in large the new Redbook rules that were put in place a few years ago really restricts who pays for rooms and tickets for coaches to attend. In the past the tickets and rooms could be paid for the coaches by their respective schools.

With the new rules in place coaches are expected to pay for their tickets and their rooms. That is a decent chunk of change to pay out of pocket.

4 nights of lodging and multiple rounds of tickets, especially with the tournament going to a Sunday final.

Attendance has been slipping over the last few years at the state tournament. You can blame the conflict of times with the NCAA tournament and you could blame the participating schools, but many will point to the cost out of pocket that the coaches are expected to pay over the duration of the tournament.

Some others are frustrated from the size of the trophy's awarded to the champion or to the elimination of the state tournament programs.

Changes are coming and I think we will end up seeing a combination of the Boys and Girls Sweet 16.

Session 1 this year Attendance: 4413

Session 2 this year Attendance: 3369

Session 3 this year Attendance: 3987

Session 4 this year Attendance: 4808

Quarter final session 1: Attendance: 4504

Quarter final session 2: Attendance: 4279

So 25360 with Semis session and Final session to go.

So that is

Is 5000 seats enough for this tournament? If it is the Frankfort convention center, to me, would be ideal. Mostly because of its central location. It just doesn't seem fair that a team should have to travel 4 or 5 hours for this tournament. I'm certain that there would have been a lot more Murray fans in attendance, had it not been 4 1/2 hours from NKU to Murray. As much as I like the facility at NKU and feel like they have done a great job with this event, I think it is only equatable to try and get it closer to the geographical center of the state.

Session 1 this year Attendance: 4413

Session 2 this year Attendance: 3369

Session 3 this year Attendance: 3987

Session 4 this year Attendance: 4808

Quarter final session 1: Attendance: 4504

Quarter final session 2: Attendance: 4279

So 25360 with Semis session and Final session to go.

So that is

Might as well have it at the Fieldhouse