Stay at NKU or return to WKU?

I get your point. Do all of them need to go? Probably not, but basketball takes a lot more people than a Bass Fishing tournament.

I believe that's probably an assumption on your part. One could make the same argument for football,swimming & diving, and wrestling but I guarantee that they all are not there for that either. Once the venue is set, the commissioners are along for the ride and the contract managers actually run the event.

It's more likely that the spotlight shines just a little brighter on basketball than any of the other sports

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that's probably an assumption on your part. One could make the same argument for football,swimming & diving, and wrestling but I guarantee that they all are not there for that either. Once the venue is set, the commissioners are along for the ride and the contract managers actually run the event.

and you are not making assumptions?

If nobody came from the KHSAA some of you would be complaining about that. Because they are there, you also complain?

Somebody must be there, we established that already. I'm not complaining about them being there, I'm asking if it is necessary that they all be there, all day, every day.

Commissioners are designated by the sport they are responsible for. My point is that there are many more commissioners there, who have nothing to do with basketball, as either a primary or secondary responsibility, yet the same doesn't happen in the other sports. So they incur added overhead, while attending the tournament.

The question being posed is: Is it necessary for all of them to be there or are they only doing it because it's the glamour sport?

Somebody must be there, we established that already. I'm not complaining about them being there, I'm asking if it is necessary that they all be there, all day, every day.

Commissioners are designated by the sport they are responsible for. My point is that there are many more commissioners there, who have nothing to do with basketball, as either a primary or secondary responsibility, yet the same doesn't happen in the other sports. So they incur added overhead, while attending the tournament.

The question being posed is: Is it necessary for all of them to be there or are they only doing it because it's the glamour sport?

Do you go to all the state championships?

Perhaps I missed the point. What is the problem with all of them being there for the entire tournament?

BB....I get exactly what you are saying....if it were me and I could get a trip to Rupp or NKU on KHSSA dime as an employee, sign me up!

BB....I get exactly what you are saying....if it were me and I could get a trip to Rupp or NKU on KHSSA dime as an employee, sign me up!

So, is that the issue? The KHSAA pays for the hotel and all expenses for everyone? I can see the issue if that is it. Didn't a lot of money get cut that was used to send coaches and other school and program personnel to the Sweet 16? If that money was cut, it doesn't look good for the KHSAA to dole out money to everyone on their side and say come on down. Someone (BB?) fill in the blanks for me.

WKU and BG seems to have embraced the entire tourney more than at NKU and the metro Cincy area, in my opinion. NKU has a fine facility, and should be proud of it. However there doesn't seem to be the warm-welcome, southern hospitality vibe that BG exuded. Arguments for Frankfort and Memorial are valid regarding location and facilities. But it depends on the attendence and, really, the community buy-in to make it the special event that it should be.

If nobody came from the KHSAA some of you would be complaining about that. Because they are there, you also complain?

100% correct. If the event location decision is important to NKy, I would think we would want an informed decision made by commissioners that had actually experienced the game venue plus the accomodations and amenities of the area.

There has been no support from the local media, the enquirer has zero about it in the morning paper, I just don't understand why the community don't get behind this event more. Even though I live in Northern Ky, I think Western really supports it being in there community. It is great that ST E is invested in it, but most people have no clue it is even going on. We have two local teams playing and still no support.

That is not totally true. Both WLWT and WXIX has extensive coverage of the SK and Holmes games. Granted that was local teams but they did have highlights on their newscast.

The Enquirer can't even get a Reds score in the paper the next morning so that ship has sailed.

And it is based on who is advancing. Simon Kenton losing tonight will really hurt attendance in the semis. If Holmes loses then that is another blow. The size of the schools matters too. Paintsville had a great fan base for a small school but in the end a school 4 times as large can have mediocre support and still has more fans show up.