Pro Tennis

Jim Schue

As recently as 15-20 years ago, I was a diehard. Loved watching the men and the ladies. I used to go to the old ATP at Cincy and then when it became a major points event, and also went to the Indy tournament that was a US Open warmup. I have all kinds of film camera pics from back then, including a teenaged Andy Roddick (rocking a Reds hat), and many of Sampras and Agassi.

We all grow old, and our time becomes more precious. As a result some things we took for granted are easily shunted to the side. But I was a diehard. I have old VHS tapes of tons of great matches from back in the day in a box I've not been into in a good decade (I do still have a working VCR). I always loved the one-on-one aspect of the game.

What happened after that? Why don't I care that the Aussie Open is on right now and the old me would've not missed any of that? I used to set my alarm to get up in time to see big matches. I don't even care anymore.

Is it simply because the Americans just don't get it done anymore?

No great Americans in the men's game hurts it for me. Also, none of the great players are really very interesting. I mean Djokovic, Federer, Murray and Nadal have all been GREAT players and are class acts but they are just not that interesting or controversial (not like Connors, McEnroe/Becker, or Agassi . I typically tune in for the semis and finals of most majors still but that is about it.