Stanford's McCaffery to skip Sun Bowl to prep for draft.

jericho

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is ok for a player to sit out a bowl game, it should also be ok for a coach to ask at the beginning of the season...."who may make the decision to sit out a bowl game to prep for the draft?" The coach could make the argument that he wants to prepare his team to win every game, and will need to make sure he gets additional players reps at that position. If skipping the bowl game is fair, then it is fair for a coach to get other guys ready to play that position.

Here's how I see that playing out in August at LSU.

Coach Miles: Anyone going to skip the bowl game? If so I'm going to play someone else more. Anyone?

Leonard(hand raised): Coach, I'm thinking about not playing.

Coach Miles: Speak up if you're thinking about it. Anyone?

Leonard(hand waving frantically): COACH! Over here. #7. I probably won't because I want to get ready for the draft.

Coach Miles: No one? One last chance. Speak up

Leonard(jumping up and down screaming): Coach Miles, OVER HERE! Your Heisman candidate. To your right, coach. COACH!!

Coach Miles: No one? Good. Let's go play ball.

Here's how I see that playing out in August at LSU.

Coach Miles: Anyone going to skip the bowl game? If so I'm going to play someone else more. Anyone?

Leonard(hand raised): Coach, I'm thinking about not playing.

Coach Miles: Speak up if you're thinking about it. Anyone?

Leonard(hand waving frantically): COACH! Over here. #7. I probably won't because I want to get ready for the draft.

Coach Miles: No one? One last chance. Speak up

Leonard(jumping up and down screaming): Coach Miles, OVER HERE! Your Heisman candidate. To your right, coach. COACH!!

Coach Miles: No one? Good. Let's go play ball.

Lol. Merry Christmas Clyde!

I see nothing wrong with him sitting out a game that has ZERO impact on his teams season. Is this any different than if from here on out Tyler Eifert cordially declines playing in the Pro Bowl? Last years injury essentially costs Eifert this season.

If you're holding onto a winning lottery ticket and all you have to do is stay injury free for 4 months would you risk injury in a needless and pointless game? No way you would.

If a HC can bail on his guys with zero notice then a player should be able to do so without repercussions. The HC even gets paid for leaving on his own in some cases.

If it is ok for a player to sit out a bowl game, it should also be ok for a coach to ask at the beginning of the season...."who may make the decision to sit out a bowl game to prep for the draft?" The coach could make the argument that he wants to prepare his team to win every game, and will need to make sure he gets additional players reps at that position. If skipping the bowl game is fair, then it is fair for a coach to get other guys ready to play that position.

Why would a coach do that though? Their contract incentive is typically for receiving a bowl bid, not winning the bowl game. He'd want the best players available to get him to that bowl game.

This will expand the playoffs sooner rather than later, but will it be enough?

Let's say they go to an 8 team playoff in a few years so to win it all you have to win 3 playoff games. I could see a player saying "sorry, I cannot take the risk of playing THREE additional games so I am sitting them out and getting ready for the draft"...now if and when that happens...get the popcorn out because that will get really interesting...

Let's say they go to an 8 team playoff in a few years so to win it all you have to win 3 playoff games. I could see a player saying "sorry, I cannot take the risk of playing THREE additional games so I am sitting them out and getting ready for the draft"...now if and when that happens...get the popcorn out because that will get really interesting...

Why are any of the top 10 guys playing this year? We're definitely moving into uncharted territory.