Stanford's McCaffery to skip Sun Bowl to prep for draft.

jericho

Saw a quote on the ESPN ticker yesterday where Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said it would "concern" him if a player didn't play in their bowl game. Really, Bruce? How about we hold off on the bowl games until after the NFL draft is done then? Would you be so willing to let your #1 draft pick go play in college game that doesn't benefit your NFL team? Please.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not in championship contention, bowl games are basically just fun exhibitions for fans. I have a really hard time getting worked up about this.
I agree about the bowl games, however, I think we are on a slippery slope here. What happens when the lure of future dollars causes players to miss regular season games? (I'm sure it's going to happen.) What about the concept of team....over individual? I suppose college football will persevere but not like we know it today. Maybe the NCAA should pay for an insurance policy to insure against injuries. Lord knows, they have the money for the premiums.

I agree about the bowl games, however, I think we are on a slippery slope here. What happens when the lure of future dollars causes players to miss regular season games? (I'm sure it's going to happen.) What about the concept of team....over individual? I suppose college football will persevere but not like we know it today. Maybe the NCAA should pay for an insurance policy to insure against injuries. Lord knows, they have the money for the premiums.

The development of college football into a big-time enterprise coincides with big-time money. It's a prep league for the NFL in a lot of respects and that's coming home to roost.

I agree about the bowl games, however, I think we are on a slippery slope here. What happens when the lure of future dollars causes players to miss regular season games? (I'm sure it's going to happen.) What about the concept of team....over individual?
I hear you, but that is that magical concept sold to fans and players so that a multi-billion dollar business can thrive at the expense of labor which cost pennies. Guys (RBs) like McCaffery have such a short NFL shelf life. Why do we put the interests of a college football team over his personal interests to earn whatever salary he can in a limited time span?

I hear you, but that is that magical concept sold to fans and players so that a multi

I don't dispute what you are saying. My point is that college football will become a different animal just as, I think, the NFL has evolved (devolved???) into something different to its fans because of fantasy football. Fans now care more about the performances of individual players than team results.

How will you feel if Lamar Jackson sits out THE BOWL GAME next season? Assuming Louisville wins 6 games, of course.

I'll be disappointed as a fan, but I get it. I think it's important not to assign to amateur sports more importance than they deserve.

What's the point of any postseason that doesn't result in a championship? I've been saying for years that bowl games are pointless.

Other than a pay check for the schools no conference, pretty much. So again I don't blame these kids one bit for sitting out to prepare for the draft, especially if they are already first rounders.