Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What Do You Remember About Your First Major League Baseball Game???

Featured Replies

9.21.71 Reds v LA Dodgers.

 

Lee May went deep.

Green seats. 3rd base line.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9.21.71 Reds v LA Dodgers.

 

Lee May went deep.

Green seats. 3rd base line.

 

:thumb: I loved sitting in the green seats at Riverfront.

I don't remember much as I was in kindergarten. I do know the Reds hosted the Dodgers and it seems like it was really hot. I'm almost positive the Dodgers won - the Reds lost the first six or seven times I went to see them.

Fast-forwrd to the first time I took my son to a ballgame. Sometime in 1988. Right-field corner of the blue seats. Got there as the Reds were finishing BP. Danny Jackson (runnerup to Hershiser for the Cy Young that season, I think) picked up a ball or two and just as he was getting ready to trot in, I told him it was my son's first game. He tossed us a ball.

Knothole day game - Crosley Field - Bus ride to game - Peanut Man behind right field bleachers - The Goat Run - Right Field Grandstand Seats - Lemonade in Green cups - Wally Post in right field - Bob Thurman with two home runs - Reds Beat Cubs 22-2.

8/9/98. A 4-3 defeat at the hands of the Jeromy Burnitz-led Brewers. Demitri Young became my favorite Reds player that day for whatever reason.

My dad took my brothers and I to a cardinals game, late 80s. Pre-world champions for sure. He wanted us to check out Ozzie Smith. Afternoon game and we were all little, we had to leave around the 5th inning. We walked across the bridge to White Castles in Newport, and my grandpa picked us up. I still feel bad about that.

Knothole day game - Crosley Field - Bus ride to game - Peanut Man behind right field bleachers - The Goat Run - Right Field Grandstand Seats - Lemonade in Green cups - Wally Post in right field - Bob Thurman with two home runs - Reds Beat Cubs 22-2.

 

I used to love those Kid Glove games when my team(Knothole as well) attended.

  • Author
I remember one game my Dad took me and my brother to in the early 60's at Crosley. I remember the grass was so green, the immense space between home plate and the backstop (which was a giant plexiglass wall at the time). We had great seats a few rows behind the visitor's dugout.

 

It was Redlegs taking on Don Drysdale and the Dodgers. My Dad was not a Drysdale fan and knew Drysdale had a short fuse in those days. I remember my Dad and his buddy heckling Drysdale a little every time he came back to the dugout. Well, after quite a few Hudy 14-Ks the heckling got pretty good and Drysdale was now answering back at my Dad when coming back to the dugout. It was about an inning later Drysdale was coming off the mound and my Dad and his buddy were just really giving it to Drysdale, who had had enough and started to come in the stands. Of course at that point eveybody else was yelling and Drysdale's teammates pulled him back. My brother and I were scared to death at that point. Then an usher and security guy came down and told my Dad and his buddy they had to leave. So, one of my earlier MLB baseball memories is getting tossed out of a game.

 

Great story!!!!

  • Author
9.21.71 Reds v LA Dodgers.

 

Lee May went deep.

Green seats. 3rd base line.

 

Wow, a month after my first game!!!

  • Author
Knothole day game - Crosley Field - Bus ride to game - Peanut Man behind right field bleachers - The Goat Run - Right Field Grandstand Seats - Lemonade in Green cups - Wally Post in right field - Bob Thurman with two home runs - Reds Beat Cubs 22-2.

 

The Reds will likely never outscore them by two dimes ever again. :)

Thinking I was going to fall out of the red seats at Riverfront!

Reds vs. Cubs in the summer of 88. Eric Davis and Andre Dawson hit homeruns. Sat in the yellow seats and thought that it smelled like my urine. I still remember the little old usher asking my dad if he needed any help. That guy may have been born in before WW1.

My first game Lee May hit one out of Crosley field. Also attended several bat days back in the day. Was also at a game when Art Shamsky hit three Home Runs.

I saw my first game during the opening series of the new Riverfront Stadium in 1970. It's been a long time but I think it was the second game played in the stadium and it was against Atanta. Aaron hit a homer and one of the Boyer brothers also had one. A Reds player hit one also, but I can't remember who. Also can't remember who won the game. But I was excited as a 16 year old to see my first live baseball game.

 

On another note, I was a huge baseball fan throughout the '60's, '70's, and '80's but lost pretty much all interest after the World Series was cancelled by the 1994 strike. I'll sometimes watch a few post season games but that's about it. I haven't watch a game during the regular season in years. I did make a trip to Cincinnati to see their new stadium a few years ago.....and spent $9.50 for a bag of peanuts and a coke :eyeonyou: , after paying $76 on line for a ticket. If one made a habit of attending many Reds games they'd have to take out a second mortgage.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.