For Those of You Who Want That Old Car Back

Beechwoodfan

We all have a car from our youth, the one you had or wanted to have. For me it was my dad's baby blue 68 Mustang Convertible. I loved driving that as a teenager and grieved after it was stolen. It was the only cool thing my dad ever owned. Always thought when I got older and could afford a fun car, I would get one,

For my brother-in-law it was a 61 Triumph t3 convertible. He had one as a teen and always talked about it. Well, his wife found him one in mint condition and surprised him with it for his birthday, He took meticulous care of it, only brought it out in perfect weather, and stuck to side roads, never expressways.

He had it out the first week of June, was slowing down for a light, but the driver behind him did not stop and ran in the back of him. His old car had no saftey features, no seat belts or air bags. He was thrown into the stearing wheel sustaining massive chest injuries, a torn aorta, and a broken neck and lower back. He spent over 8 weeks in the SICU before getting transferred to rehab and then home. Fortunately he is recovering, but he had horrific complications and almost died on a couple occasions. God Bless the staff in the SICU at University Hospital in Cincinnati.

My point is, that if he had been in his regular car, he would have walked away, probably without a scratch. That old car was beautiful, but unsafe. I used to smile when I saw old cars driving around the streets. Now I want to chase them down and give them a lecture.

Be safe drivers. Having that old cool car can kill you in an instant.

We all have a car from our youth, the one you had or wanted to have. For me it was my dad's baby blue 68 Mustang Convertible. I loved driving that as a teenager and grieved after it was stolen. It was the only cool thing my dad ever owned. Always thought when I got older and could afford a fun car, I would get one,

For my brother-in-law it was a 61 Triumph t3 convertible. He had one as a teen and always talked about it. Well, his wife found him one in mint condition and surprised him with it for his birthday, He took meticulous care of it, only brought it out in perfect weather, and stuck to side roads, never expressways.

He had it out the first week of June, was slowing down for a light, but the driver behind him did not stop and ran in the back of him. His old car had no saftey features, no seat belts or air bags. He was thrown into the stearing wheel sustaining massive chest injuries, a torn aorta, and a broken neck and lower back. He spent over 8 weeks in the SICU before getting transferred to rehab and then home. Fortunately he is recovering, but he had horrific complications and almost died on a couple occasions. God Bless the staff in the SICU at University Hospital in Cincinnati.

My point is, that if he had been in his regular car, he would have walked away, probably without a scratch. That old car was beautiful, but unsafe. I used to smile when I saw old cars driving around the streets. Now I want to chase them down and give them a lecture.

Wow! Great post! Never looked at it that way before. There are so many distracted drivers on the roads now, and so much more traffic. Those old cars really do not belong on the roads any more.

That was a Triumph. A driver rear ended my father's old 67 Chrysler Newport. My mother hardly felt the collision. The Newport had a dent in the rear bumber. The other car was totaled.

When I was in high school, I was driving it and a guy in a 72 Cutlass hit me in the left rear quarter panel. You had to look close to see the pin dent in the quarter panel. The front of the Cutlass was destroyed.

Mom backed into our old International flatbed with it and wrecked the front bumper on the International, leaving a small dent in the truck on the Newport.

My grandfather parked his 65 Chevy pickup next to it in the driveway one time. Mom backed out and proceeded to rake the pickup front to back, leaving it virtually non-drivable. The mishap left the front right fin on the Newport loose, but not to the point to where it had to be repaired.

That old Newport was a tank.

'67_Chrysler_Newport_(Auto_classique_Laval_'11).jpg

Dad had a 1968 Camaro up until the time I was 3. Sold it because he thought "we needed the money". Now that he's gone I really want that car back. I have no paperwork, just a picture that includes a license plate. I think it's time to begin the search.

We had a 1980 Plymouth Trailduster. Huge tin can on wheels. No carpet. Hunted out of that thing. Opened all the doors and hosed it out when we got it muddy. I'm not a sentimental car guy really, but I'd like to have those times back we had in that thing.

My Dad had a 1949 Ford Custom split window like this. Worked on it a ton, it was a wolf in sheep's clothing. He used to love it when cars pulled up with him "wantin' to go".

1949-ford-custom-v-8.jpg

Then, and I have no idea how she did it, my Mom got my Dad to trade his Ford in on this. 1960 Rambler station wagon. He HATED that car.

rambler wagon.jpg

I sure wish I had the $$$ to get that 49 Ford back.

My dad had some cool toys the whole time I was growing up. My first memories were of his white 57' Chevy. He used to work on that all the time.

At the same time he owned a 67' Harley Davidson Panhead. He took that thing completely apart and put it back together. It had a custom paint job, just beautiful.

The most interesting one was a late 70's El Camino he modified to take to NASCAR races. He worked 2nd shift at GM and my mom would pick him up at midnight on Friday night and they would drive straight through to the NASCAR race every weekend. He put a cap on the back of it and took the back window out. He had carpet and a stereo in the back so he could sleep on the way down for a little bit. My sister and I would ride in the back of the El Camino many of times heading to races.

He bought a brand new 1979 Trans-Am that looked just like the Smokey and Bandit car.

And then his last Sporty car was a 1986 Monte Carlo SS that would fly. He had that car for about 20 years before he sold it.

Now he has moved on to his Cadillac. It's a 2001 he bought brand new and the car has 31.000 miles on it. He doesn't drive very much any more.