Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland 28 Belfry 27 OT

Featured Replies

This was just a plain old great high school football game in which both teams deserved to win. No doubt Belfry got 2 or 3 tough calls which was offset by Ashland's 2 or 3 dropped balls on potential long gainers. On the last play Ashland blitzed EVERYBODY, it would have been tough for anyone to have ran the ball in and Belfry was having a tough time throwing the ball-good call on the Ashland coaching staff. I understand that the Belfry starting quarterback was on crutches, if he gets back this will be an excellent football team. Good luck to both teams and thanks for a great game and great effort.

  • Replies 163
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have the game stats ??

Congrats to the Tomcats. Great game Belfry, we are always proud of you!

Congrats to the Tomcats. Great game Belfry, we are always proud of you!

:thumb: :thumb:

Anyone have the game stats ??

 

Rushing= Belfry-52-349 yds. Ashland-34-138

 

Passing=Belfry-1of 2-6yds. Ashland=Mahan-5 of 11 for 133yds, 1-int.

 

fumbles=Belfry 6-4 Ashland=2-0

I would like to say right off the bat that I have never played nor coached football in my life:

I think Coach Haywood made a mistake in overtime going for the win.

My thoughts are that Belfry could score in every overtime period and I don't think Ashland could.

Ashland has the type offense that once it is inside the 10 has trouble scoring. Belfry on the other hand is well suited in it's style offenseto grind out 10 yards in 3 or 4 downs.

Congrats to the Tomcats and I do believe we can beat Russell if our D- line steps up and plays a little better.

I would like to say right off the bat that I have never played nor coached football in my life:

I think Coach Haywood made a mistake in overtime going for the win.

My thoughts are that Belfry could score in every overtime period and I don't think Ashland could.

Ashland has the type offense that once it is inside the 10 has trouble scoring. Belfry on the other hand is well suited in it's style offenseto grind out 10 yards in 3 or 4 downs.

Congrats to the Tomcats and I do believe we can beat Russell if our D- line steps up and plays a little better.

 

 

IMO, Haywood made the right decision to go for the 2pt conversion. The problem you have with the type of play that was called..is that..it takes too long to develop with such a short field to work with....especially out of the gun. The play may have been better coming under center. IMO, With the defense pinning their ears back and coming....a counter, shotgunning a hole or even a straight option may have been the safer gamble.

 

But the call to go for it was correct IMO.:thumb:

IF you make the two-point conversion everyone says you are a genious, if you miss it everyone questions your play-calling abilities.

 

Personally, I like the call. To me, it's a gut-feeling you have to go with and obviously Coach Haywood's gut was telling him go for the win.

 

Bottom line, there are pros and cons to both going for the tie and going for two. You can argue about it all day if you must, but I trust the guy with 282 wins to make that decision as opposed to anyone on this board.

Ashland Vs. Belfry review;

 

I would just like to say that Belfry was a class act and they have nothing to hold their head down about, this was a good game from both schools, but in the end, someone had to win.

 

Ashland, we seen vast improvements in the OL line and Mahan showed he could do the job, his first start although not perfect it was a good effort, and one that I think will only get better.

 

Ashland defense had all they could stand with a very good Belfry offence, in the end Ashland 11 man blitz was more than a shot gun snap had time to deal with, great job cats!

 

Ashland special teams still struggled, but some improvement was noticed; we have our fingers crossed that the punt and kick off returns will improve.

 

I have to say, I was on the edge of my seat the whole second half, this game was a thriller

And it put to rest some of the people that were saying the Tomcats wouldn’t have much this year. This was High School Football at its best.

 

I would also like to say, I felt that the play selection was also much improved, Ashland showed in the first red zone attempt that they were willing to throw the football, this kept the defense honest and proved that Ashland could score once they got in striking distance.

 

My hats off to the coaching staff, and players for a good game played with a lot of heart!

 

 

Trimmer

To the people that are coming on here saying that coach Haywood should have not went for two, these are the same people that would have been on here saying what a great call, man he has guts, you can't make statements like that. You are on the road at Putnam with a chance to win the game on one play...a three yard play...you take the chance. Look at your watch, you have 25 seconds to make that decision. The man has forgotten more football than anyone on here has ever known. Good Call Coach, and good job Ashland for stopping them. This is what high school football is all about, how many times have you ever seen an NFL team try something like this, not to mention not many college teams. That is why Friday nights are the greatest!!

Congratulations to the Tomcats and coach Hart. He obviously made the right adjustments. Belfry's coach obviously forgot his overtime handbook on the bus. I'd bet he'd make a different decision today if he could rewind. Took some large cahones to make that decision(or lack of sense or faith in a kicker)! I will be the first to say that I thought there were too many things to fix in a weeks time. Excellent win and one that could very well springboard Ashland to something much more.

 

My question is how can anyone question one of the greatest high school football coaches in KY history. Like many others have said, i think this morning he didnt regret his call on going for two. Haywood is a great coach and must have had a reason to go for the two, maybe the kicking game isnt that solid or he thought they could power over Ashland. I dont know but one thing i do know is no one on here has enough creditials to question a coach like Phillip Haywood. :thumb:

 

Just a side joke, field goals arent always a good idea in Putnam Stadium.:argue:

No injuries, Chris Hall was suffering from cramps late in the game....

Did anyone else see Burns and Davis collide late in the game when Belfry scored in overtime. Wow, what a collison!!

To the people that are coming on here saying that coach Haywood should have not went for two, these are the same clowns that would have been on here saying what a great call, man he has guts, you can't make statements like that. You are on the road at Putnam with a chance to win the game on one play...a three yard play...you take the chance. Look at your watch, you have 25 seconds to make that decision. The man has forgotten more football than anyone on here has ever known. Good Call Coach, and good job Ashland for stopping them. This is what high school football is all about, how many times have you ever seen an NFL team try something like this, not to mention not many college teams. That is why Friday nights are the greatest!!

Thats true, plus Coach Haywood doesn't even know if he can make the PAT after the last one was blocked. Who blocked that PAT??

If you were watching this game, think back.. this was the second try at the 2 point play, and they did it the first time.. this wasn't the wrong decision

Belfry had moved the ball the whole game.. if he had it to do over.. I would bet he would have taken the snap under center..but man thats football.. on that play Ashland just gave it all they had with a 11 man blitz and they had no time to do anything.. like I said.. someone had to loose, I'm just glad our boys wanted it as bad as they did..

good luck to both teams

 

Trimmer

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.