Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bourbon, anyone?

Featured Replies

I saw the beer and wine thread and wanted to see what some of your favorite Bourbons are and why? I've read a lot about some of the Pappy offerings but have never had an opportunity to try it. Secondary market prices on these run from $300 for the ten year old 'Old Rip VanWinkle' to well over $1000 for a bottle of 23 year old 'Pappy'. Is it worth the price? I am partial to Eagle Rare, Weller Antique and Four Roses.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since you started....Eagle Rare and Four Roses Small Batch are easily in my top 5.

 

For regular sipping (not special occasions) I like a nice Buffalo Trace.

 

I tried the Town Branch last week. I need to have a few of those, but it had a nice aroma, was not oaky bitter and generally smooth.

I saw the beer and wine thread and wanted to see what some of your favorite Bourbons are and why? I've read a lot about some of the Pappy offerings but have never had an opportunity to try it. Secondary market prices on these run from $300 for the ten year old 'Old Rip VanWinkle' to well over $1000 for a bottle of 23 year old 'Pappy'. Is it worth the price? I am partial to Eagle Rare, Weller Antique and Four Roses.

 

None of the Pappys are worth the price paid. The only reason people buy it is to show off to their friends.

Big fan of Eagle Rare. Also, a relatively new one to look at for those who are looking to experiment is High West. I'm a big fan of High West Campfire. It is up there in price, but one of the best in my opinion.

None of the Pappys are worth the price paid. The only reason people buy it is to show off to their friends.

 

I'd have a really hard time being convinced that any bourbon/whiskey/scotch/insert favorite booze would be worth that much. Even if it is fantastic it won't be that much better than a $50 bottle.

  • Author

I recently picked up some barrel strength offerings (Elijah Craig and Stagg Jr.) Some of these are upward of 120 proof. I've not tried them yet, but something tells me they may need a splash of water and an ice cube or two until I get used to the fire.

$50 is pretty much my limit on what I'll pay for a bottle of bourbon.

Here's my revised list:

 

Maker's Mark

Basil Hayden

Jim Beam Black

Knob Creek

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

I recently picked up some barrel strength offerings (Elijah Craig and Stagg Jr.) Some of these are upward of 120 proof. I've not tried them yet, but something tells me they may need a splash of water and an ice cube or two until I get used to the fire.

 

I love Bookers. I think that that is 120. It is definitely a sipping bourbon. After the 2nd one, it is a sleeping bourbon.

My current supply ...

 

46

Angle's Envy

Double Oak

Eagle Rare (Single Barrel Select)

Johnny Drum

Knob Creek

Maker's Mark

Rowan's Creek

Woodford Reserve

None of the Pappys are worth the price paid. The only reason people buy it is to show off to their friends.

 

Thurs simply not true. The old rip 10 year and the pappy 15 year at retail price are more than worth their value. I am not a fan of the 23 year and I've never tried the 20.

Here's my revised list:

 

Maker's Mark

Basil Hayden

Jim Beam Black

Knob Creek

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

 

Gross.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.