Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bourbon, anyone?

Featured Replies

  • Author
What is a store pick?

 

Store picks are when the retailer reps, say Party Source or DEP in Northern Kentucky go to the distillery and choose individual barrels of bourbon for their stores to sell. They get to sample several different barrels and choose the one they believe is the best. Usually excellent bourbons! DEP has several on their shelves most of the time. I think they have an Eagle Rare pick coming soon.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None of the Pappys are worth the price paid. The only reason people buy it is to show off to their friends.

 

That's not true...I don't tell any of my friends that I have Pappy because they will want some.

Gross.

 

My Current stash:

 

Mixers:

- Woodford

- Makers Regular

- Benchmark

 

Drinkers:

- Makers - American Pharoah

- Weller Pot Still - nasty but it was a gift

- 1792 - Port Finish - Love this!

- Michters Toasted - My absolute favorite! I've been through 3-4 bottles of this stuff

- Angels Envy

- 4x Elijah Craig 12 year - stockpiled this b/c they don't make it any more and I like it.

- Blanton's

- 2x Elmer T. Lee - slightly overhyped but very good

- Hillrock

- Evan Williams Single Barrel Store Pick

- Buffalo Trace Store Pick

- Bulliet Barrel Strength - very good

- Bulleit 10 year

- 3x Eagle Rare - 2 store picks 1 regular

- Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year - 2015 - I would never pay 300 for it, but for the 39.95 retail I paid for it it's VERY good!

 

Ryes:

- Sazerac

- Angels Envy

- Bulleit

 

I never had any ryes before the AE Rye and I loved it so I have just started buying a couple of those.

 

100% Bourbon Snob you are....welcome to the wild side

Store picks are when the retailer reps, say Party Source or DEP in Northern Kentucky go to the distillery and choose individual barrels of bourbon for their stores to sell. They get to sample several different barrels and choose the one they believe is the best. Usually excellent bourbons! DEP has several on their shelves most of the time. I think they have an Eagle Rare pick coming soon.

 

Do they cost more than the regular bottles?

Gross.

 

Agree on the Jim Beam for mixing. Not putting anything over $30 in anything other than ice or water. Drives me nuts when my drinking buddies mix expensive bourbon in a glass of pop.

 

These people are the people that are no longer my friends....if they are that much of an embarrassment please do away with them.

  • Author
Do they cost more than the regular bottles?

 

Yes, generally there is a premium to be paid for the bottles from a store pick. That said, it is usually not too much of a bump and you have a bottle of very good stuff that very few bourbon drinkers will ever have an opportunity to taste. In my view, they are worth a few extra dollars, but only if you take your bourbon neat, with a splash, or on the rocks. Not worthwhile if you plan to pour a can of coke on top of it.

Yes, generally there is a premium to be paid for the bottles from a store pick. That said, it is usually not too much of a bump and you have a bottle of very good stuff that very few bourbon drinkers will ever have an opportunity to taste. In my view, they are worth a few extra dollars, but only if you take your bourbon neat, with a splash, or on the rocks. Not worthwhile if you plan to pour a can of coke on top of it.

 

:thumb:

 

I'm not lowbrow.

  • Author
:thumb:

 

I'm not lowbrow.

 

No offense intended! ;0) I once brought a nice bottle to a Christmas party and saw my brother in law literally take the bottle out of the hand of a party attendee who had an open can of sprite in his other hand, ready to pour both into his glass. He was directed toward a bottle of Jim Beam instead.

That's not true...I don't tell any of my friends that I have Pappy because they will want some.

 

I guess. I've had them and I don't see the fuss. The 20yo is outstanding, but not for what it costs to get it either by the pour or bottle. Not so keen on the 23yo — it's rough.

 

The 15, 12 and 10 are all solid but their prices are inflated because of the name. Kinda like Air Jordans.

I prefer bourbon that's had higher rye content compared to the rest. Thats why Bulleit is my preferred bourbon. The others are okay but just don't leave me coming back to them.

I prefer bourbon that's had higher rye content compared to the rest. Thats why Bulleit is my preferred bourbon. The others are okay but just don't leave me coming back to them.

 

I generally don't prefer those hot rye-heavy ones, but I make an exception with Bulleit. Hope I have a real good day at the bar tomorrow so I can pick up some 10yo. I've been mostly drinking vodka and beer during this humid summer.

  • Author
I prefer bourbon that's had higher rye content compared to the rest. Thats why Bulleit is my preferred bourbon. The others are okay but just don't leave me coming back to them.

 

I am on a learning curve with the ryes. I prefer the wheaters, but appreciate many different mash bills.

That's not true...I don't tell any of my friends that I have Pappy because they will want some.

 

Wait...you have friends?:)

This year's Russell's Reserve isn't as good as it has been in recent years.

Store picks are when the retailer reps, say Party Source or DEP in Northern Kentucky go to the distillery and choose individual barrels of bourbon for their stores to sell. They get to sample several different barrels and choose the one they believe is the best. Usually excellent bourbons! DEP has several on their shelves most of the time. I think they have an Eagle Rare pick coming soon.

 

Gotcha, I frequent Party Town and Source quite a bit, I've seen those.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.