Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bourbon, anyone?

Featured Replies

My Current stash:

 

Mixers:

- Woodford

- Makers Regular

- Benchmark

 

Drinkers:

- Makers - American Pharoah

- Weller Pot Still - nasty but it was a gift

- 1792 - Port Finish - Love this!

- Michters Toasted - My absolute favorite! I've been through 3-4 bottles of this stuff

- Angels Envy

- 4x Elijah Craig 12 year - stockpiled this b/c they don't make it any more and I like it.

- Blanton's

- 2x Elmer T. Lee - slightly overhyped but very good

- Hillrock

- Evan Williams Single Barrel Store Pick

- Buffalo Trace Store Pick

- Bulliet Barrel Strength - very good

- Bulleit 10 year

- 3x Eagle Rare - 2 store picks 1 regular

- Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year - 2015 - I would never pay 300 for it, but for the 39.95 retail I paid for it it's VERY good!

 

Ryes:

- Sazerac

- Angels Envy

- Bulleit

 

I never had any ryes before the AE Rye and I loved it so I have just started buying a couple of those.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$50 is pretty much my limit on what I'll pay for a bottle of bourbon.

 

That's about $30 more than I would pay. After 6 or 7 shots you couldn't tell if you were knockin' back $1000 stuff or ghetto swill. :lol2:

That's about $30 more than I would pay. After 6 or 7 shots you couldn't tell if you were knockin' back $1000 stuff or ghetto swill. :lol2:

 

You don't shoot or knock back quality bourbon, my neanderthal friend. :ohbrother: :jump:

Booker's and 1792 are my go to bourbons if sipping on rocks. If I'm mixing it I'm not paying anymore than a Beam price.

 

Pappy is good, don't get me wrong, but there are some awesome bourbons out there that are just as good for less than 1/4 of the price. Most overrated = Makers IMO

I don't drink much bourbon anymore as I am not very good at sipping on it. I drank a ton of if when I was younger, mainly the Knob Creeks, Makers and Woodford varieties. Every once in a while we would go with bookers, blantons or johnnie walker (I believe that's a whiskey though) but we usually stuck with the mid grade stuff as we weren't sippers lol.

 

Even though I don't drink it often anymore I do love the taste of a good bourbon. I do wish I could find some bourbon barrell chunks for a good price to use for smoking briskets, prime rib and such. Seems like it would be a perfect wood for that.

I don't drink much bourbon anymore as I am not very good at sipping on it. I drank a ton of if when I was younger, mainly the Knob Creeks, Makers and Woodford varieties. Every once in a while we would go with bookers, blantons or johnnie walker (I believe that's a whiskey though) but we usually stuck with the mid grade stuff as we weren't sippers lol.

 

Even though I don't drink it often anymore I do love the taste of a good bourbon. I do wish I could find some bourbon barrell chunks for a good price to use for smoking briskets, prime rib and such. Seems like it would be a perfect wood for that.

Johnnie Walker is scotch.

I don't drink much bourbon anymore as I am not very good at sipping on it. I drank a ton of if when I was younger, mainly the Knob Creeks, Makers and Woodford varieties. Every once in a while we would go with bookers, blantons or johnnie walker (I believe that's a whiskey though) but we usually stuck with the mid grade stuff as we weren't sippers lol.

 

Even though I don't drink it often anymore I do love the taste of a good bourbon. I do wish I could find some bourbon barrell chunks for a good price to use for smoking briskets, prime rib and such. Seems like it would be a perfect wood for that.

 

Good luck. Back before it became a big deal to convert the used barrels for artwork, I could get my hands on all the bungholes I wanted. Now, everybody I ask who works the distilleries can't get ahold of any scraps.

My Current stash:

 

Mixers:

- Woodford

- Makers Regular

- Benchmark

 

Drinkers:

- Makers - American Pharoah

- Weller Pot Still - nasty but it was a gift

- 1792 - Port Finish - Love this!

- Michters Toasted - My absolute favorite! I've been through 3-4 bottles of this stuff

- Angels Envy

- 4x Elijah Craig 12 year - stockpiled this b/c they don't make it any more and I like it.

- Blanton's

- 2x Elmer T. Lee - slightly overhyped but very good

- Hillrock

- Evan Williams Single Barrel Store Pick

- Buffalo Trace Store Pick

- Bulliet Barrel Strength - very good

- Bulleit 10 year

- 3x Eagle Rare - 2 store picks 1 regular

- Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year - 2015 - I would never pay 300 for it, but for the 39.95 retail I paid for it it's VERY good!

 

Ryes:

- Sazerac

- Angels Envy

- Bulleit

 

I never had any ryes before the AE Rye and I loved it so I have just started buying a couple of those.

 

Gross

:D

My favorite distiller is Heaven Hill. My house bourbon is Fighting (word violation), 103 proof with some spice and a thick mouth feel. I also really like the Four Roses single barrel. If you can get your hands on it and if you have time to wait before you drive, try Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Weller Antique 107 used to be my everyday go to bourbon. Hard to find these days though.

 

A few that I don't think we're mentioned:

 

IMO Larceny is one of the best "bang for your buck" bourbons.

 

I think Evan Williams Vintage 1993 is excellent.

 

James E Pepper 1776 is good.

 

Those of you who like Angel's Envy should try Belle Meade Sherry Cask Finish.

One of my favorite things in bourbon are store picks. You can really find some awesome bottles that way. Also, a lot of stores will let you try before you buy. Latest count has me at a dozen Four Roses store picks.

Booker's and 1792 are my go to bourbons if sipping on rocks. If I'm mixing it I'm not paying anymore than a Beam price.

 

Pappy is good, don't get me wrong, but there are some awesome bourbons out there that are just as good for less than 1/4 of the price. Most overrated = Makers IMO

 

Agree on the Jim Beam for mixing. Not putting anything over $30 in anything other than ice or water. Drives me nuts when my drinking buddies mix expensive bourbon in a glass of pop.

Currently have at the house:

Basil Hayden

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace

Very Old Bartons

 

I use the Bartons for mixer, and will use the Buffalo Trace to mix but enjoy it on the rocks as well. Sometimes I just want a bourbon and coke or sprite. If at a bar I will order Makers and coke, don't care for Makers straight. If they don't have makers I go with Beam and Coke. Will also buy Beam at home for a mixer.

 

I've had Woodford but not a big fan.

 

This is about the extent of my bourbon experience.

One of my favorite things in bourbon are store picks. You can really find some awesome bottles that way. Also, a lot of stores will let you try before you buy. Latest count has me at a dozen Four Roses store picks.

 

What is a store pick?

I took a glass of my bourbon to the pool today. A bee landed on the rim and must have thought it smelled good. I didn't want to lose any bourbon so it took me about 15 seconds or so to get a tool to save the bee. Dredged him out and he took a few steps and passed away.

 

 

103 Proof > Bee

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.