Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Your school's Mount Rushmore

Featured Replies

Pretty solid group. Trying to justify taking Stowers off but just don't know who I'd put in his spot.

 

I'd have to have my guy Greg Ponzer on there. Heart and soul of the '81 team.

  • Replies 246
  • Views 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of starting this one on Friday, and seeing @Indiana Patrick's similar thread got me to finally to it.

 

While I know it's very hard to pick just 4, let's give it a try.

 

Newport Catholic

 

Carl Foster '64 - for the longest time the schools All-Time leading scorer and teacher/principal at NewCath for close to 40 years.

Dave Cowens '66 - NBA Hall of Famer, need I say more.

Jimmy Pangallo '84 - 4 year varsity stater, and long time coach at NewCath.

John Brannen '92 - 15 year college asst. coach, now NKU Head Coach

 

Have to go with Dave "Elmer" Faust as No. 2 at NewCath. Great player, been a tremendous coach at St. Henry for years, the ultimate gentleman.

Will name 4 Holmes players that I have personally watched.

 

Dickie Beal..Played at UK and a state runner up team.

Doug Schloemer...Mr. Basketball and UC player and state runner up.

Jack Jennings....State runner up, went on to play at Western Ky I believe and pro ball over seas.

Elija Pitman... This one gets very hard to pick, Ricardo Johnson was also very good.

Pitman played on the state championship team and played at Marshall.

 

We can go back a few years and add so many more.

 

No way I would ever disagree with this list but I do know if there was an HM list I certainly would have Austin Hill and Arrez Henderson listed. Neither were stat busters but Austin was the glue during his career and Arrez guarded ANY player on the court during his.

Will name 4 Holmes players that I have personally watched.

 

Dickie Beal..Played at UK and a state runner up team.

Doug Schloemer...Mr. Basketball and UC player and state runner up.

Jack Jennings....State runner up, went on to play at Western Ky I believe and pro ball over seas.

Elija Pitman... This one gets very hard to pick, Ricardo Johnson was also very good.

Pitman played on the state championship team and played at Marshall.

 

We can go back a few years and add so many more.

 

I'm a Holmes grad, would never put Pittman near a list like this. Here is my list:

1. Dicky Beal (2 regional titles, played at UK)

2. Doug Schloemer (Mr. Basketball, 3 regional titles, UC)

3. Jack Jennings (WKU, led Sun Belt in scoring)

4. Mike Moore (captain of 1976 regional champ Holmes)

Coach: Reynolds Flynn (regional titles 1976, 77, 78, 80)

 

I put Moore No. 4 because he willed the Bulldogs to the 1976 regional title. They beat three-time defending champ NewCath in the semis that year at Conner and bested Holy Cross in the championship.

Highlands Boys

 

Scott Draud

Derek Smith

Ross Neltner

Willie Schlarman

 

Girls

Jamie Walz Richey

Tera Boothe Smith

Heather Kruger

Katie Allen

 

Coaches:

Ken Shields

Jim Higgins

Don Dobson

John Messmer

 

I would go:

1. Scott Draud

2. Derek Smith

3. Mike Vories

4. Deron Blasingame

Coach: Ken Shields

Somerset

Mark Fothergil

Bill Lewis

Kevin Jones

Jamie Cromer

 

I'm sure many will disagree with me on those 4, but that's my 4.

I would go:

1. Scott Draud

2. Derek Smith

3. Mike Vories

4. Deron Blasingame

Coach: Ken Shields

 

?????? Can not see Deron making it over Willie. Just can't get on board with that one.

I'm a Holmes grad' date=' would never put Pittman near a list like this. Here is my list: 1. Dicky Beal (2 regional titles, played at UK) 2. Doug Schloemer (Mr. Basketball, 3 regional titles, UC) 3. Jack Jennings (WKU, led Sun Belt in scoring) 4. Mike Moore (captain of 1976 regional champ Holmes) Coach: Reynolds Flynn (regional titles 1976, 77, 78, 80) I put Moore No. 4 because he willed the Bulldogs to the 1976 regional title. They beat three-time defending champ NewCath in the semis that year at Conner and bested Holy Cross in the championship.[/quote']

 

 

Was that NCC game the one where a fight started when a fan came down to the Holmes bench?

?????? Can not see Deron making it over Willie. Just can't get on board with that one.

 

Tough call between those two, in my opinion. Different types of players. Blasingame was a great outside shooter and could score in bunches. Willie was an all-around player, great hustle and a winner. They both played college ball at D-2 level. Close call.

Was that NCC game the one where a fight started when a fan came down to the Holmes bench?

 

I don't remember a fight, but Moore, Schloemer and Morris made big play after big play in that win over NewCath. It had been a few years since Holmes had won a regional, and with the game being played at Conner, many thought NewCath would win. Holmes center Tilley played very physical on that game against the NewCath center, possible that caused a fight? I believe Craddock was the player for NewCath, or a Devoto? One of the great wins in Holmes history, followed by a blowout win against Holy Cross to win the '76 regional at Conner. Great memories for all Bulldog fans!

Tough call between those two, in my opinion. Different types of players. Blasingame was a great outside shooter and could score in bunches. Willie was an all-around player, great hustle and a winner. They both played college ball at D-2 level. Close call.

 

We can agree to disagree. Both are great guys, but in my opinion, it's not really that close. Willie was the 9th Region scoring leader for quite a while, pretty sure he scored in bunches too.

We can agree to disagree. Both are great guys, but in my opinion, it's not really that close. Willie was the 9th Region scoring leader for quite a while, pretty sure he scored in bunches too.

 

Willie was a very good player, but he was a few years ahead of Deron and the 9th Region was a bit down in Willie's junior and senior years. That does not take away from his accomplishments, but Deron played against a loaded 9th Region his entire Highlands career. Both are very good choices.

We can agree to disagree. Both are great guys, but in my opinion, it's not really that close. Willie was the 9th Region scoring leader for quite a while, pretty sure he scored in bunches too.

 

I'm not up on HHS basketball history but I'm curious why they are picked ahead of Neltner? He was Highland's only Mr. Basketball and played D1.

I'm not up on HHS basketball history but I'm curious why they are picked ahead of Neltner? He was Highland's only Mr. Basketball and played D1.

 

I would roll with JOAT's list because those are the players I've seen live and in person. I've heard things about Mike Vories, but he comes before my time. I just don't think you can take Willie off the list and put Deron ahead of him.

 

Highlands Boys

 

Scott Draud

Derek Smith

Ross Neltner

Willie Schlarman

For Covington Catholic, in my opinion, three are really easy...the 4th is a bit of a tug-of-war.

 

Nick Ruthsatz

Roger Tieman

Andy Listerman

 

I think all 3 of them have to be on there.

 

The 4th could be CVH, it could be Kevin Listerman, it could be Jake Thelen, it could be Chris Walker. I could make a case for any of those 4, but none of them knock off one of the 1st three I listed (in my opinion). Heck, if you want to include all facets of a person's involvement in the program, then I'd think about including Dan Tieman.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.