Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What fictional death hit you the hardest?

Featured Replies

Jax Teller

 

I did not want that character to die.

  • Replies 88
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Captain Miller, from Saving Private Ryan.

 

"Earn this."

Gene Hackman ' s character Reverend Scott in The Poseidon Adventure.

 

Also Paul Newman's character in Hombre.

Captain Miller, from Saving Private Ryan.

 

"Earn this."

 

I was much more bothered by Mellish dying in that scene with the reeeeeally slow bayonet stabbing...especially because 1) the German who killed him had had his life saved by Upham, and because 2) Upham's fear (cowardice?) in the battle that essentially led to Mellish's death.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Edith Bunker

James Evans

Mr. Hooper

Professor Dumbledore

Tris Prior

Charlotte

 

In the end, I thought Snape's death was much sadder. He lived most of his adult life trying to protect his lost-love's child (the child she had with the "other guy"). In the process, he had everybody and their brother thinking he was a REALLY rotten guy because he had to play the part of Voldemort's secret pawn. ...and then he died.

Given his character's lifestyle in "Less Than Zero," the death of Robert Downey Jr's Julian was probably inevitable. But the way he went was tough to stomach.

I've actually got a couple of not-so-mainstream fictional deaths that I think about sometimes - more than I would expect to, really.

 

1) Jamie - A Taste Of Blackberries - The book is a early-education book meant to start a healthy discussion of death with kids. I read it in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Jamie was the best friend of the narrator. Both were about 10 years old, and Jamie dies about halfway through the book from an allergic reaction after stumbling onto a beehive. The death of Thomas J. really struck a chord with me in particular after having read A Taste Of Blackberries.

 

2) Searchlight - Stone Fox - Read it in the 4th grade. The story takes place in Jackson, Wyoming, and revolves around a big dogsled race. The main character lives with his grandpa and has no siblings or friends other than his dog, Searchlight. The dog dies at the finish line of the race. It still stands as the only time I've ever cried reading a book.

I was much more bothered by Mellish dying in that scene with the reeeeeally slow bayonet stabbing...especially because 1) the German who killed him had had his life saved by Upham, and because 2) Upham's fear (cowardice?) in the battle that essentially led to Mellish's death.

It's actually not the same German. My buddy proved me wrong back in college by pausing on both of their faces.

In the end, I thought Snape's death was much sadder. He lived most of his adult life trying to protect his lost-love's child (the child she had with the "other guy"). In the process, he had everybody and their brother thinking he was a REALLY rotten guy because he had to play the part of Voldemort's secret pawn. ...and then he died.

 

It was a tossup for me between Dumbledore, Snape and Weasley; and I felt compelled to go with just one from HP.

There have been some great ones mentioned that would be in my top 5.

 

Mickey from Rocky

 

 

 

Not a fictional character, but man watching Brian Piccolo die in Brian's Song was really tough.

Main reason I've never watched the movie. Reading it was bad, don't want to see it.

The scene was not only well acted, but the music composed for it will rip your heart out.

Rue, from The Hunger Games.

 

Cinna's death was hard on me as well.

Marley.

 

It was gut wrenching.

 

Ooooops!

 

Just learned it was a non-fictional story. That makes it worse!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.