Hey Old Geezer T or X Alumni

Bert

A younger person asked me when was the last time the T vs X game was held at T's or X's respective fields before moving to Cardinal Stadium (or some other larger stadium than their respective fields). He assumed this was something only in the past few decades. I told him I remember playing at Cardinal Stadium back till the 80s but assume it was even before then but was not for sure. So for you more senior alumni, how far back was that? Trinity started in 1953 so I would think it would take a while for T to graduate enough alumni to have a large enough audience to watch a game off campus and I would guess, up till around the late 60's, X's major rival was fellow Xavieran high school, Flaget, not T. T got its first state championship 1968 so I would assume shortly after that is when the Louisville Catholic population started really taking interest in the game.

So you old, wise, T or X alumni, teach the young'ins if you would please.

Correction, a few were at Manual and one Atherton.

Outsider looking in, but it seems like it would've made sense historically to have played a few at Manual Stadium before determining the biggest HS stadium in town was too small. Logical progression.

Outsider looking in, but it seems like it would've made sense historically to have played a few at Manual Stadium before determining the biggest HS stadium in town was too small. Logical progression.

Trinity's first football season was 1956 and I don't believe they had a stadium till the very early 1960's so both Trinity and St. X both used Manual Stadium back then. So those first games were probably a home game for one of the two teams. In 1961 the game was at Trinity and I believe all others were at the Fairgrounds. I can double check with Robert Stats Sampson but I believe what I have above is correct.

I'm the aforementioned old geezer.

Here's the information compliments of Robert "Stats" Sampson and Louisville Catholic Sports.

LINK

Stats has the 1966 score wrong. It was 18-7, not 18-6. Don't want to short change the Tigers.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repaired Quote

The first 5 games in the series were played at the Fairgrounds. The 1961 game was contested at Trinity with 5,000 estimated fans. The 1967 game was the last regular season game in the series not played at the Fairgrounds. 8,000 was the estimated attendance.