Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby to Memphis

Featured Replies

Memphis get ready for Tubby ball.

 

Lazy recruiting, projects, 2 star players, slow down ball, pass 20 times before you shoot,

 

A national championship, multiple number one overall seeds in the tournament. Conference titles and elite 8 games one win away from final fours. I'm sure Memphis would love similar results to his time at UK.

 

What I find funny is many people say they would want Miller from Arizona be replace Caligari if he leaves. Yet the dude can't get past the elite 8 and that is why people killed Tubby for.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I grew up in Memphis, went to undergrad there, and moved away years ago. I still have family there, so I visit regularly. I would say Memphis has some nice things going for it, but I wouldn't call it a great city, but that would be a very short list for me anyway.

 

I respect Tubby, but I don't see him as an awesome hire for Memphis. He is not a great bench coach, and he is not a great recruiter. I would start by firing the AD.

 

Don't know that I would call many coaches "great" in this area...BUT...I believe he is far superior to Cal in this aspect and I would call him very good. Recruiting? Yeah, he didn't seem to be able to get the greatest kids consistently while at UK, Cal has him beat in spades when it comes top that.

Doomer is the only person I have ever heard say Tubby wasn't a great bench coach. People who know basketball universally agree that he is one of the best.

 

Tubby isn't at UK because UK believed they could do better and guess what....after a bump in the road in with the Billy G hiring they are doing better.

 

The knock on Tubby was recruiting. Recruiting at the highest levels can be a seedy business because of the characters one must deal with. How Tubby handles this at Memphis will do much to shape his ceiling. With that said, Tubby has had success every place he has been (including really difficult jobs at Minnesota and Texas Tech) - he will have success at Memphis, which is the second best job he has ever had.

 

As far as Penny, Pastner tried to get Penny to be an asst. every year. Maybe Tubby will succeed in convincing him where Josh failed, but previously Penny has said he didn't want to be an asst. Maybe realizing he will never walk into the head coach at his alma mater will change his thinking.

Make no mistake about it, Tubby is a phenomenal x's and o's guy. His downfall has always been recruiting.

I wonder if anyone else hates being misquoted as much as I do. Where did I say he is subpar?

 

Otherwise I would classify him as a good guy, good recruiter and good coach, but not great. If he was, he would still be at UK winning national championships with HIS players. I have met and spoken with him twice in my life, and both times he was very personable, so I don't have anything bad to say about him.

 

delete

Pastner was too clean to win? Geez

I wonder if anyone else hates being misquoted as much as I do. Where did I say he is subpar?

 

Otherwise I would classify him as a good guy, good recruiter and good coach, but not great. If he was, he would still be at UK winning national championships with HIS players. I have met and spoken with him twice in my life, and both times he was very personable, so I don't have anything bad to say about him.

 

I don't make a habit out of misquoting people.

 

I took what you said, and interpreted it.

 

You said:

 

"I respect Tubby, but I don't see him as an awesome hire for Memphis. He is not a great bench coach, and he is not a great recruiter."

Now you say:

 

"I would classify him as a good guy, good recruiter and good coach, but not great."

 

Which one is it?

Reports are that there will be a press conference at noon to announce Tubby as Memphis new coach. I am happy to get him. This is a good hire (wouldn't call it great yet), but I have a lot of respect for Tubby, and I think he will earn respect for the program.

  • Author
A national championship, multiple number one overall seeds in the tournament. Conference titles and elite 8 games one win away from final fours. I'm sure Memphis would love similar results to his time at UK.

 

What I find funny is many people say they would want Miller from Arizona be replace Caligari if he leaves. Yet the dude can't get past the elite 8 and that is why people killed Tubby for.

 

Lets not forget 10 loss Tubby either

 

Won NCAA with other coaches players and system

Made it to Elite 8 three times

Got beat in 2nd round 4 times

 

But yeah great person

Terrible decision playing his son, who was awful.

I grew up in Memphis, went to undergrad there, and moved away years ago. I still have family there, so I visit regularly. I would say Memphis has some nice things going for it, but I wouldn't call it a great city, but that would be a very short list for me anyway.

 

I respect Tubby, but I don't see him as an awesome hire for Memphis. He is not a great bench coach, and he is not a great recruiter. I would start by firing the AD.

 

I strongly disagree with your comment that Tubby is not a great bench coach. I think that is by far his strongest attribute.

I grew up in Memphis, went to undergrad there, and moved away years ago. I still have family there, so I visit regularly. I would say Memphis has some nice things going for it, but I wouldn't call it a great city, but that would be a very short list for me anyway.

 

I respect Tubby, but I don't see him as an awesome hire for Memphis. He is not a great bench coach, and he is not a great recruiter. I would start by firing the AD.

 

 

I always thought that Tubby was a good bench coach, but didn't seem to like recruiting very much.

Lets not forget 10 loss Tubby either

 

Won NCAA with other coaches players and system

Made it to Elite 8 three times

Got beat in 2nd round 4 times

 

But yeah great person

Terrible decision playing his son, who was awful.

 

Once again majority of schools would have loved to have him done what he did at uk. Which for the record it was his system that won the title not Pitinos. I don't remember Pitino calling a single play that year. Uk was not the most talented team that year as compared to others. One little wrong decision here or there if Pitino was Coach and they may not win it that year. He deserves the credit for that title and no need to add with other people's players, etc. Uk may have one less title if it wasn't for Tubby and Pitino stayed.

 

After all these years Pitino still has only won one more title than Tubby. That shows how hard it is to win it and how stupid it is to devalue a championship that someone who was calling the plays that did win it.

UNLV's brand new coach is now talking to TxTech per reports.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.