Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby to Memphis

Featured Replies

From the Dana Kirk years to the end of the Calipari years Memphis operated on the whatever it took to win rules. Pastner probably too clean to win at Memphis. With all the booster money and the program wanting to get back to the good ole days, Tubby will have to be careful not to fall into the traps Kirk and Calipari fell into.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be a good fit for both programs. Tubby has done great at schools in mid-major conferences and at mid-level programs. He could win in the American Conference.

I don't know what your opinion of Tubby Smith is, but I have a question.

 

If a coach has won a national championship and has 557 career wins, how can you say he is both a subpar bench coach and recruiter?

 

What exactly is he in your eyes?

 

I wonder if anyone else hates being misquoted as much as I do. Where did I say he is subpar?

 

Otherwise I would classify him as a good guy, good recruiter and good coach, but not great. If he was, he would still be at UK winning national championships with HIS players. I have met and spoken with him twice in my life, and both times he was very personable, so I don't have anything bad to say about him.

It would be a good fit for both programs. Tubby has done great at schools in mid-major conferences and at mid-level programs. He could win in the American Conference.

 

The American Conference had a higher league RPI than the SEC which by basketball standards is a mid-level conference then. Why isn't he still in the SEC?

From the Dana Kirk years to the end of the Calipari years Memphis operated on the whatever it took to win rules. Pastner probably too clean to win at Memphis. With all the booster money and the program wanting to get back to the good ole days, Tubby will have to be careful not to fall into the traps Kirk and Calipari fell into.

 

If you think UK is any cleaner than Memphis, you are smoking something. The difference is the searchlight on UK's program is very dim compared to a school like Memphis who sits between the good ole boys supporting Mississippi and Tennessee..and many of them in the media... who benefit if Memphis has woes. If a reporter for the Herald-Leader uncovered something - let's say maybe the nice SUV's a UK player has leased through an aunt or the free goods and services that come with being a UK player-he/she would be ridden out of town if it were to be mentioned.

 

It is comical to me as to how "dirty" Calipari was alleged to be from all the UK fans when Memphis was beating UK, but now he is "born again" at UK.

 

So I will add to my dislike of being misquoted my dislike of hypocrisy.

They must have a ton of serious crimes since they are featured on the First 48 about every other week.

 

Of course many years ago Memphis Wrestling with Jerry "The King" Lawler, Lance Russell, & Bill Superstar Dundee was always entertaining.

 

I will have to look at statistics, but my perception as well is that Memphis can be a dangerous place. There used to be a mall off Getwell and Perkins avenues near I-240 (The Mall of Memphis) which, when built was very nice, but after there were shoppers kidnapped and murdered in the parking lot, became known as The Mall of Murder. It has since been torn down.

Can we get the camera of the back door back up and rolling here to see if we spot Tubby in the next couple days? :lol2:

ESPN says he is taking the job.

Looks like it's official. Good news for Tubby

Isn't Tubby getting a jersey in the rafters this year when Texas Tech comes to Rupp? Sucks he won't be there for it now.

  • Author

Memphis get ready for Tubby ball.

 

Lazy recruiting, projects, 2 star players, slow down ball, pass 20 times before you shoot,

Goodman is reporting that Tubby might bring Penny on as an assistant. He'll get a ton of talent.

Goodman is reporting that Tubby might bring Penny on as an assistant. He'll get a ton of talent.

 

Saw someone on Twitter speculated that this might happen, and then groom Penny to be his successor.

I wonder if anyone else hates being misquoted as much as I do. Where did I say he is subpar?

 

Otherwise I would classify him as a good guy, good recruiter and good coach, but not great. If he was, he would still be at UK winning national championships with HIS players. I have met and spoken with him twice in my life, and both times he was very personable, so I don't have anything bad to say about him.

 

As UK fans I seriously don't get why people always want to try to discredit Tubbs championship with comments like that. Some of you all act like we definitely win that title even if Pitino was still there. I'm sorry to tell you guys that UK was not the most talented team in the country that year. There were a few othere teams more talented than that UK team including the Duke team UK beat. The players on that team fit Tubbys style perfectly. They had the big guys down low to do the inside out play that Tubby likes on offense. Even though Pitino recruited those guys, those players actually fit Tubbys style better.

 

As far as we know we may have one less title now if Tubby didn't come that year. The tournament is so dang hard to win, and one decision here and there could determine winning or losing a game. Just like Pitino decision to not put a guy on the inbounder in 92 cost them. There is no reason to discredit Tubbys title. We should be very happy because what we do know is we won that title with him. We don't know if we win it with Pitino.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.