Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Philadelphia Eagles announce they have fired Head Coach Chip Kelly.

Featured Replies

I always thought Chip and the U would be a great pairing.

 

Me too :D.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've thought this whole time that he would go back to college, but the more I think about it, the Titans are the only logical place at this time. Nothing is available in college.

 

You have to bet that team like Texas and others will have people talk to him to see if he has any interest in joining them. Which you can almost guarntee a school like Texas will have people see what his interest, and if he says he would want it then they would make a change in a heart beat IMO. However Texas right now is the only big time program that I think that would happen for currently.

 

Reports say he wants to stay in the NFL, so the Titans do seem like the best bet.

Felt like Chip Kelly dug his grave and now he's been buried in it. I cheered for the Eagles for a long time but once McNabb and Andy Reid were gone, I quit following them. Can't say I didn't have a little smile on my face when I heard this didn't work out and as another poster mentioned, Andy Reid has his team in the playoffs.

Will any team allow Kelly the amount of roster control he had in Philly? Will Kelly accept a job without that control?

 

The reports I hear are that he was hated in his own locker room. If true, will he be able to change and get NFL players to play for him?

Will any team allow Kelly the amount of roster control he had in Philly? Will Kelly accept a job without that control?

 

The reports I hear are that he was hated in his own locker room. If true, will he be able to change and get NFL players to play for him?

This is where I am. I honestly don't think Kelly is a bad coach, but he is an odd duck and as I mentioned, his days were numbered once he decided to lightly reprimand Riley Cooper. That travels across the league and I think it will be hard for him to succeed.

 

Kelly was in a unique situation in Oregon, it has its own sub-culture where you can remain insulated. Chip doesn't strike me as the type that will be rah rah with boosters at Texas, Miami, or any typical big program.

Philadelphia is a tough town. Being the head coach of the Eagles is a tough gig.

 

I think the perfect match for Philadelphia is Jon Gruden.

 

Here we go again!

Philadelphia is a tough town. Being the head coach of the Eagles is a tough gig.

 

I think the perfect match for Philadelphia is Jon Gruden.

 

Here we go again!

 

Gruden and Eagles owner have a spotty history. Gruden wasn't happy when he was passed over (Gruden was the offensive coordinator for the Eagles under Ray Rhodes) when Andy Reid got hired. That was a long time ago, but I'd be shocked if Gruden ever comes back to with any team.. Lurie claims that he and Gruden still talk and are on good terms now. But the job was his when Reid was let go....Gruden decided to stay in the booth without a second thought. The roster and team were in much better shape then....I can't see him changing his mind and taking the job now.

I doubt they go the college route again.

 

Some coordinators that I would look at:

 

Josh McDaniels

Hue Jackson

Todd Haley

Adam Gase

Mike Shula (seriously)

Sean McDermott

Darrell Bevell

Gruden and Eagles owner have a spotty history. Gruden wasn't happy when he was passed over (Gruden was the offensive coordinator for the Eagles under Ray Rhodes) when Andy Reid got hired. That was a long time ago, but I'd be shocked if Gruden ever comes back to with any team.. Lurie claims that he and Gruden still talk and are on good terms now. But the job was his when Reid was let go....Gruden decided to stay in the booth without a second thought. The roster and team were in much better shape then....I can't see him changing his mind and taking the job now.

 

You have good information.

 

Jeffrey Lurie: Jon Gruden made it clear he won?t coach this year | ProFootballTalk

 

Jeffrey Lurie has always been enamored with Jon Gruden and has continued to use Gruden as his "consultant".

 

There is an open line of communication between the two. Who knows what Gruden really wants to do in life.

Kelly burned down a successful franchise with his arrogance, so it is no shock to see him out on his rear just that fast. To me, it all began with them releasing Desean Jackson after he had his best year as a pro. It was the first sign that Chip viewed these players as entirely replaceable, no matter how good or valuable to the team. He followed that up with a string of poor decisions the next time around, including letting Maclin walk, jettisoning Lesean McCoy in favor of Demarco Murray (who they then decided to barely use), etc. It was incredible watching the sheer volume of mistakes he made, and a pleasure seeing it blow up in his face.

Kelly burned down a successful franchise with his arrogance, so it is no shock to see him out on his rear just that fast. To me, it all began with them releasing Desean Jackson after he had his best year as a pro. It was the first sign that Chip viewed these players as entirely replaceable, no matter how good or valuable to the team. He followed that up with a string of poor decisions the next time around, including letting Maclin walk, jettisoning Lesean McCoy in favor of Demarco Murray (who they then decided to barely use), etc. It was incredible watching the sheer volume of mistakes he made, and a pleasure seeing it blow up in his face.

 

As a life long Eagles fan and former season ticket holder, the last year and a half has been tough to watch. The Eagles showed flashes of brilliance offensively during the first half of Kelly's tenure. The second half however has been dreadful. And Kelly's stubborness and refusal to change and adapt were just frustrating to the fans. It seemed like Kelly stayed his course just to be spiteful. I'm not a guy that was totally upset when Kelly jettisoned some of the talent. Yes they could have used DJ and Maclin. But the Eagles have always been bottom line and a team that let people go before they started to decline, and much of the time, they have been right. What really killed Kelly is the poor drafts the Eagles have had during his tenure. None of the high draft picks have worked out. Getting rid of older talent isn't the end of the world when you've got players ready to step in and take their place.

Kelly burned down a successful franchise with his arrogance, so it is no shock to see him out on his rear just that fast. To me, it all began with them releasing Desean Jackson after he had his best year as a pro. It was the first sign that Chip viewed these players as entirely replaceable, no matter how good or valuable to the team. He followed that up with a string of poor decisions the next time around, including letting Maclin walk, jettisoning Lesean McCoy in favor of Demarco Murray (who they then decided to barely use), etc. It was incredible watching the sheer volume of mistakes he made, and a pleasure seeing it blow up in his face.

I think signing Murray was a PR move after the big name departures and a maneuver to remove him from Dallas.

I think signing Murray was a PR move after the big name departures and a maneuver to remove him from Dallas.

 

Well it was still pretty doggone stupid.

 

FWIW, this is what I posted about that (and the other stuff) in March:

 

History has shown us that RBs who carry the ball more than 370 times in a season are typically toast the following season and many are never remotely the same again. DeMarco just had 393 carries. Some have used 390 touches (carries plus catches) as a benchmark. He had 497 touches last season. This from a guy who had been injury prone in his first three seasons.

 

The guy they just let walk? He has never carried it more than 314 times. He has never touched it more than 366 times. He has only once in six seasons failed to play in at least 15 games. And if you can believe it, despite having two extra years in the pros, LeSean is younger (by 5 months, but still). And these guys cost virtually the same amount.

 

The bottom line is this: Chip Kelly has no clue what he is doing. And I believe next season in Philly (or the following at the latest) is going to be a cataclysm.

 

Admittedly, it hurts my case from then a bit that LeSean ended up getting hurt - the opposite of the argument I was making. Still, McCoy averaged .9 more YPC than DeMarco, and two more games of 100+ yards. They cost basically the same amount.

Kelly burned down a successful franchise with his arrogance, so it is no shock to see him out on his rear just that fast. To me, it all began with them releasing Desean Jackson after he had his best year as a pro. It was the first sign that Chip viewed these players as entirely replaceable, no matter how good or valuable to the team. He followed that up with a string of poor decisions the next time around, including letting Maclin walk, jettisoning Lesean McCoy in favor of Demarco Murray (who they then decided to barely use), etc. It was incredible watching the sheer volume of mistakes he made, and a pleasure seeing it blow up in his face.

 

I don't disagree with you. I think Kelly expects players to buy into his system 100%, and that goes beyond his style of offense and playcalling and into conditioning, diet, rest, and so on (I think it was McCoy who complained about this). Some of his personnel moves make some since in light of this. A guy like DeSean Jackson is just not a "buy in" player, for instance (conversely, adding Murray and Bradford made no sense in his style of offense, even if I think Bradford is an upgrade over Foles). But a bigger problem for him is that I don't think a lot of his players appreciated his system and he isn't much of an inspirational guy.

 

With that said, I think if he does get behind the wheel of a team that did buy into his style and had the right personnel to run his offense it could be deadly. Lots of "ifs" though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.