AA Region 1 Title Game: Owensboro Catholic @ Mayfield

Toothpick

Who wins?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

For the first time this playoff run, the Mayfield Cardinals will face a foe that is capable of beating the Cards. There are 2 common opponents in Todd County Central and Murray. Both crushed TCC and little can really be drawn from that opponent. Murray was a formidable opponent, OC beat Murray Friday 34-15 but it was a 14-7 game at half and remained close until OC broke it open with a late 3rd Q score. Mayfield, without Trajon Bright, beat Murray 17-7 and were tied with the Tigers at the half and only managed 2 first half first downs that maybe a school record that no ones wishes to remember and 1 of those was via penalty. The second half the Cards did to Murray what Murray had done to them in the first half and really got after Murray totally shutting down the Murray offense. Mayfield has clearly played a more challenging schedule and only had 1 lose in OT to McCracken County. OC has 2 losses that were back to back to a decent Daviess County and a outstanding Owensboro team. Both were 1 TD losses, the Daviess game makes one scratch your head but the Owensboro game is scary at how well OC played one of the states best squads. This will be the first meeting of the 2 in years. What do you all think? I like Mayfield with Bright back but certainly OC and their stud QB are capable. I hear that the FAA has imposed a no flight zone over War Memorial Stadium in Mayfield Friday night and the restricted air space will be strictly enforced by the Cards air defense

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what was going on with Murray at the end of the regular season. They totally laid an egg at Tilghman and finished the season at .500. Hard to consider them an elite 2A team coming down the stretch.

I like the change the defense put up against the pass heavy Butler Co. team, once everyone got settled in, they played lights out. LB and DE will play a huge role in slowing down the OC scoring train.

Cards play the way they played last week, I will have no problem win or lose because I think that was their best effort overall of the season. If that's the case and they come out on the short end Friday night, then OC will have been the better team.

We have some outstanding playmakers, perhaps the best collection of them in a long time. And we all knew this team was young, and going to struggle for a while. It might have taken this team a while longer to get into form than I had anticipated, but they are there now. You could just feel it in the second half of the Caldwell game. I think having Bright out in the middle maybe delayed the coming together process somewhat.

OC has been great all year, and under the radar. I think this is gonna be a nail-biter. I hope so, cause if we are gonna get a title, we will need playing under elimination experience. We got lucky with having home field and young team in the same year. Next year, these kids will be ready to go on the road to do this. Anyway, picking the cards in a close one. Speedy playmakers the difference. GO BIG RED

First we know OC has a great team and has had a great season. Their QB is a good player and they have good skill position players. Like always, I think this game will be won by the line and if they give each QB plenty of time to execute. Mayfield's line has been coming together and I like how they have been playing. Not knowing much about OC and it's coaching staff, I know Mayfield's and they will make the adjustments to put us in position to win. Mayfield should win this game.

I don't know much about OC except for they have put up a bunch of points all season long and I know they have a good QB. With that said I know our defense has played very very good all season long. It seems like we have had success with good QB's in the past and last week was one example. I think this game comes down to line play and especially for our defensive line. We need to keep pressure on the QB the entire game.

Our offense played really well against Butler and Arnett was spot on with his passes. Having Bright back and healthy makes our offense so much more potent. I think they are finally clicking like much of us have enticipated and that's good to see late in the season. If memory serves me correctly the last time these 2 teams squared up it was my Sophmore year back in 1994 at Owensboro which was Mayfield's last year in 2A. We won that game.

Being at home is a plus and I think we are playing good football so I'm gonna roll with my Cardinals in a close one 28-21.