Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How many schools have the Sports Turf type fields?

Featured Replies

I know that South Oldham is in the process (should be ready July 22nd)of putting it down. We are hosting a bowl game (triple header) on the first weekend of play. How many other schools have the multiple playing surface.

I know of some but please feel free to add to the list. If nothing else this is a sign that schools, booster clubs, and communities are taking high school sports more serioiusly and improving the game of football.

 

Schools who have sports turf like playing surface. (as I know or have heard about).

South Oldham

Ft. Thomas Higlands

Cov. Catholic

Pikeville

Trinity

Newport

Lex. Catholic

Beechwood

Henry Clay

Tates Creek

Dunbar

Boone Co. ??? (I heard talk but I am not for sure)

Letcher Co. Central

Belfry ??? (I know they built a new stadium last year and I heard they put down turf)

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that South Oldham is in the process (should be ready July 22nd)of putting it down. We are hosting a bowl game (triple header) on the first weekend of play. How many other schools have the multiple playing surface.

I know of some but please feel free to add to the list. If nothing else this is a sign that schools, booster clubs, and communities are taking high school sports more serioiusly and improving the game of football.

 

Schools who have sports turf like playing surface. (as I know or have heard about).

South Oldham

Ft. Thomas Higlands

Cov. Catholic

Pikeville

Trinity

Newport

Lex. Catholic

Beechwood

Henry Clay

Tates Creek

Dunbar

Boone Co. ??? (I heard talk but I am not for sure)

Letcher Co. Central

Belfry ??? (I know they built a new stadium last year and I heard they put down turf)

Add Dixie Heights to the list, going to be a pretty impressive facility!!!

I know that South Oldham is in the process (should be ready July 22nd)of putting it down. We are hosting a bowl game (triple header) on the first weekend of play. How many other schools have the multiple playing surface.

I know of some but please feel free to add to the list. If nothing else this is a sign that schools, booster clubs, and communities are taking high school sports more serioiusly and improving the game of football.

 

Schools who have sports turf like playing surface. (as I know or have heard about).

South Oldham

Ft. Thomas Higlands

Cov. Catholic

Pikeville

Trinity

Newport

Lex. Catholic

Beechwood

Henry Clay

Tates Creek

Dunbar

Boone Co. ??? (I heard talk but I am not for sure)

Letcher Co. Central

Belfry ??? (I know they built a new stadium last year and I heard they put down turf)

As long as Lex Cath keeps playing on thier surface, it will give all of the other schools with Field Turf a measuring stick for the shelf life of thier own playing surface.

As long as Lex Cath keeps playing on thier surface, it will give all of the other schools with Field Turf a measuring stick for the shelf life of thier own playing surface.

 

True. According to the FieldTurf website LexCath was the first in KY to install FieldTurf brand in 1999. Then Highlands in 2002, Papa Johns and Beechwood in 2003, Belfry and UofL Indoor in 2005. (and Shelby Valley in 2006)

 

So these facilities can all look to LexCath to see what kind of life expectancy they might get on their new fields.

Mayfield doesn't have turf so I don't know but I would think that turf would be harder on kids feet and legs, is it?

Mayfield doesn't have turf so I don't know but I would think that turf would be harder on kids feet and legs, is it?

Not the new stuff. This ain't your old astroturf...

Mayfield doesn't have turf so I don't know but I would think that turf would be harder on kids feet and legs, is it?

This is not the old astroturf that tore up many a knee. The new "field turf has a lot of give in it. Players usually prefer it to regular grass fields, especially in high school, where grass fields usually are nothing more than bare dirt or mud by the end of the season. Acouple of drawbacks to the turf field are it retains heat, and all the little black rubber pieces that wash down the shower drain. Those little black things are like xmas tree needles or Easter grass, they just keep turning up in your house long after the season is over.:D

This is not the old astroturf that tore up many a knee. The new "field turf has a lot of give in it. Players usually prefer it to regular grass fields, especially in high school, where grass fields usually are nothing more than bare dirt or mud by the end of the season. Acouple of drawbacks to the turf field are it retains heat, and all the little black rubber pieces that wash down the shower drain. Those little black things are like xmas tree needles or Easter grass, they just keep turning up in your house long after the season is over.:D

 

Ah, yeah, that does sound nice, too bad Mayfield can't get any support from the county to help with renovating our stadium, even though they use it!! We did a couple of seasons ago spread those little black rubber pieces over our field and it sank down in the grass and made the field a little "cushier" and also made it last the whole season, no mud pits, but that wasn't a cheap ordeal.

Ah, yeah, that does sound nice, too bad Mayfield can't get any support from the county to help with renovating our stadium, even though they use it!! We did a couple of seasons ago spread those little black rubber pieces over our field and it sank down in the grass and made the field a little "cushier" and also made it last the whole season, no mud pits, but that wasn't a cheap ordeal.

 

Adding the rubber has helped War Memorial tremendously as it takes the abuse of many many games. The field itself is fine, imo, I do not see a pressing need to change it in Mayfield; upgrading the stadium itself (stands/locker-rooms), that I will give you.

Adding the rubber has helped War Memorial tremendously as it takes the abuse of many many games. The field itself is fine, imo, I do not see a pressing need to change it in Mayfield; upgrading the stadium itself (stands/locker-rooms), that I will give you.

 

Yeah, it was bad though towards the ending of the season without the rubber so maybe now that isn't as pressing as it used to be. But you are right, the money needs to go into the stands and lockerrooms, Bardstown can attest to that, they wouldn't even dress in the lockerrooms they were so bad!! Every year we hear about updates to the stands and lockerrooms and all that happens is some sealant goes on, some paint, pretty sad.

Yeah, it was bad though towards the ending of the season without the rubber so maybe now that isn't as pressing as it used to be. But you are right, the money needs to go into the stands and lockerrooms, Bardstown can attest to that, they wouldn't even dress in the lockerrooms they were so bad!! Every year we hear about updates to the stands and lockerrooms and all that happens is some sealant goes on, some paint, pretty sad.

 

 

Don't complain too much. We (Highlands) had to paint out bleachers last year using volunteer labor and donated paint.

Don't complain too much. We (Highlands) had to paint out bleachers last year using volunteer labor and donated paint.

And???

Don't complain too much. We (Highlands) had to paint out bleachers last year using volunteer labor and donated paint.

 

Actually sounds like a good way to build camaraderie among fellow alumni.

And???

 

I'll spell it out. GBR was stating that at most they get from their school is some fresh paint. We don't even get that. Comprende???

Actually sounds like a good way to build camaraderie among fellow alumni.

 

And it was. Although I had a lot of other things I could have been doing with my time. One would think the school district could afford to keep the bleachers painted.

 

Its not like they spent any money to put in the Fieldturf, or to repave the access road to the field, or to fix the part of the drainage system that had not been maintained for the field.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.