San Antonio Texas high school football players target ref because of a bad call

PurplePride92

At a time when it’s become fashionable to throw stones at everything the NFL does, it’s only fair to point out when the NFL has gotten something right.

Several years ago, the league moved the umpirefrom his standard spot behind the defensive line into the offensive backfield, across from the referee. This year, the NFL has removed the exception that applied when the offensive is inside the opponent’s five yard line.

The decision arose from a desire to ensure the safety of the umpires, who easily can get inadvertently caught up in the scrum of large, armored bodies trying to throw blocks or make tackles. A recent high school game in Texas introduced another potential hazard: Deliberate targeting.

Deadspin has the video and the story from the know-it-when-you-see-it deliberate attack on an umpire in a game between Marble Falls, Texas and San Antonio John Jay. The free safety for John Jay makes a beeline for the umpire and blasts him from behind. After the umpire is on the ground, the strong safety dives onto him, helmet first.

The players were ejected, and the broader question becomes whether they did it on their own or at the behest of a warped adult who issued a sweep-the-leg-style directive.

Either way, someone needs to be prosecuted for assault. And someone at the NFL deserves a pat on the back for removing the temptation for a player in the heat of the moment to “accidentally” collide with an umpire.

High school cheap shot validates NFL?s move of umpire | ProFootballTalk

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas HS football incident under investigation after players appear to attack official - SBNation.com

I don't care what may have been said. There is no excuse for their actions. None.

If I got mad every time I heard a racial slur on the field, I would have been one angry dude.

If an official really was using racial slurs, there are different ways to go about it.

This is sick. They should be kick off or out of every sport possible ?!?? An what this crap about racists remarks. Hell the kid that hit him first was a white kid wasn't it!!!?!?!? These kids white or black should never play another down of football. This wasn't about a racist remark. The man had his back to the kids. Seems like now days everytime there is a disagreement or argument. The race card is thrown out there.

This is sick. They should be kick off or out of every sport possible ?!?? An what this crap about racists remarks. Hell the kid that hit him first was a white kid wasn't it!!!?!?!? These kids white or black should never play another down of football. This wasn't about a racist remark. The man had his back to the kids. Seems like now days everytime there is a disagreement or argument. The race card is thrown out there.

Man, love when someone gets the opportunity to paint with a broad brush. You know this to be true because you were there, right?

If the racial slur thing occurred and is proven then I don't think the kids will be kicked off the team, maybe just suspended a few games. Not an excuse but an adult shouldn't be doing that these are kids.

I hope the racial slur thing is actually true though and it's not the kids trying to save themselves

As horrible as this is and the players deserve any punishment given, by definition of the rules, the ref is part of the playing field, and players have the right to run them over on any play in attempt to make a play rather you are a ball carrier or a defensive player.

Don't get me wrong I am not defending

the actions of these players they clearly targeted the refs, but I see many players and fans who do not know that the ref is considered part of the playing field.

What does a racial slur have to do with anything? Even if a racial slur was used how does that justify targeting and attacking someone? You don't get to attack everyone who offends you