NKY Football Coaches Poll: Week 2

uk#1fan

And I would agree. There's a lot of season left, and much could change. The "bad schedule" stuff I keep hearing just gets old. They've continued to upgrade their schedule as the program has improved over the last 4-5 years. No one had a problem with Scott's schedule when they played 1A and 2A teams and were finishing 2-8. People act like after having a 7-4 and 6-4 season, the first consecutive winning seasons in the school history, that they should start scheduling Trinity to get any respect.

In my head, I have a hard time thinking they are better than Cov Cath. So maybe 5 is too high, but it's hard for me to put them any lower than 6th. Really, NKY looks to be very competitive and there is a good chance this list will be a lot different in a few weeks.

If they want to be soft by all means schedule Trinity...if they want to be an elite team and program, maybe they should consider being part of the GCL...

Seriously though, nothing wrong with their schedule, at all!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they could beat Beechwood and CovCath. They play 2 6A teams in Conner and SK this season.

Your right and they play NCC and played Dixie . This is one of the tougher schedules for Scott in years .They are doing a good job .

They also beat them at the freshman level, and they have won two freshman championships.....5 years ago, and last year. Doesn't mean anything at the varsity level, but I think Scott and Beechwood is a toss up right now.

I don't know what Freshman championship Scott supposedly won last year or in the recent past but it couldn't have been as part of the same group with Cov Cath, Ryle, Simon Kenton or Cooper etc. Ryle has been the best Frosh team the past two years- Beechwood the year before that.

Are we talking Froshmore teams or something?

No way Scott is #5 . They couldn't beat CovCath or Beechwood. Since Scott likes playing small schools, they should put Woolley's alma mater back on the schedule

I am not sure what your problem is with Scott and them turning things around. It is like people hate to see them do good or can not accept it.

I don't know what Freshman championship Scott supposedly won last year or in the recent past but it couldn't have been as part of the same group with Cov Cath, Ryle, Simon Kenton or Cooper etc. Ryle has been the best Frosh team the past two years- Beechwood the year before that.

Are we talking Froshmore teams or something?

Supposedly?? Scott won the Small School Freshman Championship last year, and in 2010. NKY is divided up into two division. The schools you mention play in the large school division. And yes, it is just a freshman championship, and it means very little at the varsity level. And I'm not saying they would have won the large school division...they probably wouldn't have, but they did compete very well with the one large school they played, SK. And that group of Freshmen (now sophomores) did beat Cov Cath twice at the middle School level.

I am not sure what your problem is with Scott and them turning things around. It is like people hate to see them do good or can not accept it.

I think his problem is that Scott is a 4A school with 3 2A schools on it's schedule. That's a legitimate critique and one that has been discussed before and it certainly can be used by those who believe CCH and Beechwood are better and should be ranked higher than Scott. However, Scott is improving and is probably doing what they need to do to keep building the program.

I think his problem is that Scott is a 4A school with 3 2A schools on it's schedule. That's a legitimate critique and one that has been discussed before and it certainly can be used by those who believe CCH and Beechwood are better and should be ranked higher than Scott. However, Scott is improving and is probably doing what they need to do to keep building the program.

And I get that. However, they hadn't beaten NCC since the mid to late 90's, Newport was favored in the game last year, and Holy Cross is a neighboring school that they have lost kids to in the past (that won a state title the year before being added to the schedule). They also have a 5a and 2 6a schools on their schedule. 5 years ago if Scott had this same schedule most would have them pegged to win 2, maybe 3 games.

And I get that. However, they hadn't beaten NCC since the mid to late 90's, Newport was favored in the game last year, and Holy Cross is a neighboring school that they have lost kids to in the past (that won a state title the year before being added to the schedule). They also have a 5a and 2 6a schools on their schedule. 5 years ago if Scott had this same schedule most would have them pegged to win 2, maybe 3 games.

Not saying it's not a schedule they should not have at this point, just pointing out that on the other hand it does open itself to questions on how they should be ranked, considering the schedule. It's the same debate SK has been through over the past few years as well as Scott County, among others.

It is almost impossible to rank the teams after SK and Cooper as the Top 2. I would say Ryle and Highlands would be in the next group but it is not that far to the next group of CovCath, Beechwood, Conner, and maybe Scott. The problem with getting a handle on Scott is the NCC team they edged 8-7 has not played a game with their main offense and special teams threat and Dixie has not played anyone other than Scott. And the jury still out on NCC and Campbell Co. We do not really know how good Scott is and Camels played a couple of good teams also.

In all fairness Scott beat NCC without Smith. There is no doubt he is a game changer.

Scott did a good job stepping up their schedule this year. Any scheduling comments in the past were accurate and earned as Scott's schedule was weak, but they have improved that this year. With what we have seen so far, I think a Beechwood Scott game is pretty even.

Although, I must point out in response to a comment above, Beechwood's scrimmage score against Dixie was only three quarters and Beechwood pulled their 1st team defense in the 3rd quarter, which was when Dixie scored. Dixie also played that scrimmage without their starting QB, so there is that to consider. Bottom line on the score comparison game, the scores are close enough that it looks like an even battle between BW and Scott.

Also, someone above mentioned the JV score as a point of comparison. I don't consider a JV game as much of a measuring stick for varsity. There are always underclassmen already playing varsity instead of JV who make a big difference when the rest of those JV players get to varsity. JV team success does not automatically translate to varsity success.