Notre Dame vs Sacred Heart - Thursday August 27th

vballfan

Should be a very good matchup of two of the top teams in the state and nation.

Two players from the USA World Youth Silver Medal winning team go head to head.

My thoughts...

Hentz is definitely the best player on the court, especially because of her ability to change the game both offensively and defensively. NDA should be able to control the court with ball control, but can they find enough offense? They have not been tested in two early matches but will be ready to go after playing Mt. Notre Dame tonight. Will fatigue be an issue after the MND game and traveling to Louisville?

I think SHA has a slight edge at setter with Zwiebel and more options for her to give it to with Hammons and the rest of the crew. Main question is can SHA make enough blocks and enough defensive plays? They handled the Mercy match pretty well and uncharacteristically for a SHA team (usually fold in early season big matches vs the other catholic schools).

Maybe its who makes the least number of errors that wins when it comes to these two fairly evenly matched teams battling it out.

Who wins? My prediction is SHA in 5 (due to a home crowd advantage)

Maybe a state rematch for later this season? Thoughts?

I think Mt. Notre Dame on Tuesday is a tougher challenge for Pandas. If Pandas can play well on Tuesday it may give them momentum for Thursday. I think it's all about playing clean and cutting errors. Newspaper said Mercy had over 40 errors against SHA. That's giving away the game.

With a very tough schedule, ND will lose matches this year - just like Assumption and Mercy already have losses this year. That's what happens when you play at a high level against the nation's best.

I think Mt. Notre Dame on Tuesday is a tougher challenge for Pandas. If Pandas can play well on Tuesday it may give them momentum for Thursday. I think it's all about playing clean and cutting errors. Newspaper said Mercy had over 40 errors against SHA. That's giving away the game.

With a very tough schedule, ND will lose matches this year - just like Assumption and Mercy already have losses this year. That's what happens when you play at a high level against the nation's best.

Where is this game at?

I thought Sacred Heart looked rough the other night, as did Mercy. There were a lot of errors on both sides, but in that tight of a game, Mercy could've won it without 43 errors. Haven't seen NDA yet but hope to this week at SH.

Hammons has been missing in action with the U.S. Team, so maybe SH just wasn't used to playing with her. If so, they should be much better after a bit. Should be a good match at SH this week. They did do a weird reversal Sunday at the SH Mercy game, varsity first, then JV followed by the freshman game. After that first match, it had to have sucked (it would've for me) to have to stay through the last two games after having lost such an emotional game.

Both ND and SHA play very touch schedules. Both go to Chicago and play in the LVIT which are very tough tournaments. SHA also goes to Vegas to play a lot of talent from California and the rest of the west.

Will there be losses for all teams, most likely, but when and where will they are will be key to how the season plays out. Who can peak at the right time and manage the "big games" on their schedule to the best of their ability.

I was at the Mercy vs SHA game Sunday...

Yes, there were lots of errors, but many were forced by the other team. Both teams looked out of sorts but that will happen in an early season rivalry play. I think SHA has the far higher ceiling. It was strange watching Mercy with nearly everybody on the court was different due to last years graduation (minus Elmore the setter).

SHA will be doing another different schedule Thursday. JV @ 5:30, Varsity @ 6:30, Freshman following. I like this idea as I think it would help crowds arrive early enough for JV and stay around after for freshman. Sundays arrangement also allowed some players that are varsity players but underclassman to play JV and get more playing time and experience (not to mention raise the level of the JV game). Nothing wrong with trying to be innovative and help the sport.

Makes sense. Seems like ND is always up and ready for big games and SHA cant always say the same (might be a reflection on the coaches and how they prepare their teams). You would think both would be ready to go based on the rematch from last years state tourney. Ball control is going to be huge in this one.