Games we played as kids

littleluck55

Loved Kick the can

Ghost in the graveyard

and hide and seek.

Hit the Bat ( where a batter hits the ball

and whoever fields it gets a chance to roll the ball to the bat that is lying on the ground and if the ball hits the bat and the batter doesn't catch it before it hits the ground after hitting the bat, then whoever it was that rolled the ball in now gets to be the batter.)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably showing my age for some of you young whippersnappers, but what were some of your favorite outdoor games you played as kids. I was talking to my kids the other day discussing how we went to record stores, arcades, etc and didn't have the luxury items like playstation they do now.

Some of my favorite things we did as kids was ghost in the graveyard, kick the can, and kill the man with the ball. What were some of your favorites?

You named three of the top ones....good stuff ll55. Only one I'd add is we played capture the flag with a twist....on our bikes. If you your opponent got within 3 feet of you on their bike you were caught. Defensemen used dirt bikes, front runners use ten speeds. Played that game for hours on end.

Kill the man with the football was always a neighborhood favorite during the season!

We didn't really play many games that weren't sports-related.

Wiffle ball was the biggest. I became a master taper and loader of the banana bats.

Later on, we played a modified version of strikeout that we called tennis ball. About 48 feet from pitcher to plate — and I carried around a home plate I "acquired" somehow. We played in between two walls — back wall was 30 feet high and building behind the pitcher was about 15-16-feet high as it was a bus garage at the old school.

Mano-y-mano pitcher v. batter. Call your own shots. If you could hit one about 150 feet into the softball field behind us, that was a homer, but it was sometimes debatable if it was a weak fly ball. Some summers I went 7-9 innings daily, 4-5 days a week.

Runners (sort of like pickle)

Strikeout

Played basketball in the street. We did not have b-ball goals so we used street signs.

Football in the street. Had to get up on neighbors' roofs to retrieve the errant punts (wasn't much green space where I grew up).

Neighborhood runners (sort of like catchers but we could hide in anyone's yard, open garage, tool shed, cellar, as long as the neighbor didn't catch us. (yeah, we got in a lot of trouble with neighbors on this one)

I'm trying to think of names of other games we played, memory is not like it used to be.