Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC cops kills man.

Featured Replies

I do.

 

What do you think will happen?

 

Plea deal, some degree of manslaughter...less than 20 to serve

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Views 115k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not? I don't see Deters pleading Tensing out. Not after his press conference.

They always blow off like that in the press, there isn't a prosecutor walking that won't take a deal over going to court and taking a chance.

Is it relevant?

 

Only in the case of another channel beating them to a scoop, I guess

Plea deal, some degree of manslaughter...less than 20 to serve

 

^

This, with eligibility for parole in 5

IF you're the defense attorney (and I hear he is really good) isn't your ultimate goal to minimize how many years Officer Tensing goes to prison? That murder charge may prove difficult for Mr Deters as juries are hesitant to go that far with an officer of the law. However, I just can't see any way they see that video and completely let him walk free.

 

As I've said, it will be a fascinating trial.

 

I'm struggling to see it getting to trial, unless Deters just won't plea it down.

Plea deal, some degree of manslaughter...less than 20 to serve

 

I'd be surprised if Deters took that deal. He's too deep into the murder angle IMO.

^

This, with eligibility for parole in 5

 

One more reason I think Deters would pass on a plea deal.

IF you're the defense attorney (and I hear he is really good) isn't your ultimate goal to minimize how many years Officer Tensing goes to prison? That murder charge may prove difficult for Mr Deters as juries are hesitant to go that far with an officer of the law. However, I just can't see any way they see that video and completely let him walk free.

 

As I've said, it will be a fascinating trial.

 

That's what I'm thinking. The only two options for the defense are to convince the jury that Tensing was in fear of his life and that this fear was reasonable (this will be hard with the video) or to dehumanize Dubose to the jury and hope they'll give the benefit of the doubt to a police officer (venue and jury selection will be a major factor here too).

Edit: Double post.

They always blow off like that in the press, there isn't a prosecutor walking that won't take a deal over going to court and taking a chance.

 

I haven't see a prosecutor go off like he did. Calling it the worst thing in 30 years on the job that he's seen, saying Tensing should've never been a cop, that a Tazer wasn't even warranted in this situation, etc...

 

As Clyde said, he's too deep in the murder category to back off and plead Tensing out.

I'd be surprised if Deters took that deal. He's too deep into the murder angle IMO.

 

I think he takes it.

He just seems like one of those guys that says everything the media and community wants to hear at the time.

How soon would this go to trial if it were to?

He's not getting a deal out of this.

I think he takes it.

He just seems like one of those guys that says everything the media and community wants to hear at the time.

 

Based on what?

I haven't see a prosecutor go off like he did. Calling it the worst thing in 30 years on the job that he's seen, saying Tensing should've never been a cop, that a Tazer wasn't even warranted in this situation, etc...

 

As Clyde said, he's too deep in the murder category to back off and plead Tensing out.

 

Eh, at the end of the day Deters is a politician and cranked up the rhetoric for what was a nationally reported press conference (as an aside, no one seems to care that prosecutors are necessarily politicians, except in cases like these). But, I don't know what circumstances would lead to a prosecutor to offer a plea deal in both/either a high-profile case and/or a murder case, especially if he believes he will win.* And conversely, would Tensing take any deal offered to him, particularly one that sends him to jail, or would he rather try his fate with a jury?

 

*And just to tack on here, it's my understanding prosecutors offer deals because they don't have the resources to effectively try every single case and because it hedges their statistics for getting convictions (pleading guilty to a lesser crime still goes in the "win" column for a prosecutor). These incentives don't seem to apply in a high-level case like this.

Edited by Habib

I think he takes it.

He just seems like one of those guys that says everything the media and community wants to hear at the time.

How soon would this go to trial if it were to?

 

I've heard people speculate early 2016 at the earliest.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.