July 30, 201511 yr The cars registration was in another person's name. Therefore the officer did not know the guys identity. Say he ran because he had a body in his trunk, I guess that would be ok since they would be able to locate the car, but would have no idea who the driver was? I doubt any of us would react like the driver did, but regardless do you want to live with laws that allow the use of deadly force in this situation? Using deadly force to stop someone trying to flee based on assumptions of what might be causing their intent to flee is a slippery slope. What if it was someone close to you who simply was stopped and panicked enough to attempt to drive off. You want the cop pulling a gun and killing them because he thought they may have a dead body in the trunk or would somehow run somebody over 3 miles down the road?
July 30, 201511 yr The cars registration was in another person's name. Therefore the officer did not know the guys identity. Say he ran because he had a body in his trunk, I guess that would be ok since they would be able to locate the car, but would have no idea who the driver was? Yeah, he shot Mr. Dubose in the head. That's a pretty permanent solution to a what if. Two wrongs don't make a right.
July 30, 201511 yr My wife's black sheep cousin, drove off here in Ohio with a cop at his window, cop said he dragged him which he slightly did. He isn't dead he is down in Ashland. I had to pull every legal resource I had to get his 2 year sentence reduced to 10 months. That's nice of you. I'm sure he won't ever do it again since you worked so hard to get him released early.
July 30, 201511 yr That's nice of you. I'm sure he won't ever do it again since you worked so hard to get him released early. He's still there has to do his full 10 months. But he's alive, not dead he did almost the same thing Dubose did but he's white and was in the country. I helped him out because I can and it was his first serious run in with the law, no priors.
July 30, 201511 yr Is there any clear consensus that the shot was fired where the UC cop was standing at the point of when DuBose started the engine in what likely was his attempt to flee? I seem to view it as almost a split second from when the ignition was started that the shot was fired. I do believe the defense will attempt to suggest that the shot was only fired when the officer was somehow caught and dragged by the car speeding away. I think the conviction will hinge on a matter of a few seconds in dispute. Of course that is what the defense will be. What else could it be? Again, I think you can at least conclude from the video that the shot was fired after the car was moving and the officer was being knocked down. I don't think he was dragged unless he was holding onto something in the car. He definitely pushed/knocked/moved some distance down the street. IMO, he grabbed something in the car and was taken off balance when the car began moving. His momentum took him to the ground where it appeared he rolled a bit. It doesn't look like though he was more then 6-10 feet further down the road. It could also have been from the window frame hitting his arm or a combination of both. I think the biggest hurdle the defense will have is explaining why he thought it necessary to draw his gun in the first place and then proving why he felt justified in pulling the trigger. I think he gets convicted of something.
July 30, 201511 yr He's still there has to do his full 10 months. But he's alive, not dead he did almost the same thing Dubose did but he's white and was in the country. I helped him out because I can and it was his first serious run in with the law, no priors. Good for him. I'm glad he didn't run the officer over.
July 30, 201511 yr I doubt any of us would react like the driver did, but regardless do you want to live with laws that allow the use of deadly force in this situation? Using deadly force to stop someone trying to flee based on assumptions of what might be causing their intent to flee is a slippery slope. What if it was someone close to you who simply was stopped and panicked enough to attempt to drive off. You want the cop pulling a gun and killing them because he thought they may have a dead body in the trunk or would somehow run somebody over 3 miles down the road? But maybe the officer thought he was about to be ran over? Would that change anything or is the officer just supposed to hope and pray that isn't the felons intent?
July 30, 201511 yr Kinda like how in previous cases questioning the police officer means you thought the other party was innocent? Yeah, funny how that works. Deuce reasonably discussing what happened in one thing. In this case and in other prior there seems to been are real attempt by many to automatically portray the police as murders. Look at some of the comments in the thread. "Cold Blooded Murder" stands out. I think these events are unfortunate and unnecessary but the comments of the prosecutor were antagonistic and unprofessional. There is no way he could have come to those conclusions and been 100% sure based on those videos.
July 30, 201511 yr I think it's more a matter of none of that stuff matters. A man was unnecessarily killed. Everything else is irrelevant. Killed yes, murdered no.
July 30, 201511 yr Spin, spin, spin..... Keep up the victim blaming. :lol2: It's not spinning it's a fact. If he complied with the officer's request there is a very good chance he would be alive today. It doesn't justify his death but life is about choices and choices have consequences.
July 30, 201511 yr Ray Tensing's attorney: People across the country are offering Tensing money to pay his bond - Story
July 30, 201511 yr He's still there has to do his full 10 months. But he's alive, not dead he did almost the same thing Dubose did but he's white and was in the country. I helped him out because I can and it was his first serious run in with the law, no priors. Why say he is white?
July 30, 201511 yr But maybe the officer thought he was about to be ran over? Would that change anything or is the officer just supposed to hope and pray that isn't the felons intent? Yeah I hear what you're saying. I'm afraid of cars sliding sideways and running me over all the time.
July 30, 201511 yr Yeah I hear what you're saying. I'm afraid of cars sliding sideways and running me over all the time. Me too, 75% of the country shouldn't have a licence. But I guess it wouldn't matter since its ok to drive without one.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.