2015-16 12th Region

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have are suffering from amnesia. This past season was the best year in the 12th that I can recall. I think that may have spoiled you and jaded your perception!!!! Just look back 3 years (going back even farther you'll find similar trends).

2012-2013: Wayne was 27-8; Pulaski 23-7; East Jessamine 23-8; Southwest 22-9. Four top 25 caliber teams then there was a drop-off. Wayne won the region, beating Somerset in the championship game. Pulaski was the favorite but it didn't pan out.

2013-2014: Wayne 31-2; Lincoln 26-6; Southwest 25-6; West Jessamine 19-11. Three top 25 caliber teams and then a drop-off. You started to see just how good the following year was going to be. Wayne won region, beating Southwest.

2014-2015: the season that jaded you....

2015-2016: I expect the region to have three top 25 caliber teams in Mercer, Southwest and Wayne, then a drop-off. However, as has been mentioned above, there will be a second tier of teams that will be very competitive. Point being that I expect this year to be much like many years in the past in terms of quality of teams. The difference will be that some of the more traditional powers will be rebuilding and you will see some less traditional names filling the void.

Oh, sorry...I knew there had to be a reason I couldn't find my keys this morning. Funny thing though, they were in my ignition. But, I don't remember putting them in the ignition yesterday when I got into my truck to drive home from work? What day is it?

Not yet. All I know is that Boyle plays at 6 and 8pm on Tuesday and Thursday.

Just FYI...Casey County is having a couple of scrimmages on Monday. One of them is vs. Fern Creek which should be a pretty good summer test.

My assessment from last night:

Casey Co.

Casey County will be a top 5 team this year. From what I can see, I don't think they are as good as Pulaski but they are right there with them. Casey has decent size and strength. The addition of the Russell County kid (wearing #14 last night) is going to help them a lot in the 3 position. Anyone know his name? Miller does a good job of running the team at point guard and Smith is probably going to be there leading scorer again this year. White is not necessarily a go to scorer but he will get a lot of point on clean-up and hustle. He is an intimidating defender though and will lead the team in rebounding and block shots. They have a couple of good shooters that will fill in the 2 position.

Danville:

Danville is going to be better than what they showed against Casey Co. They will once again be a small quick team that relies a lot on the 3 point shot. They had difficulty getting their shots to fall in the Casey Co. game and that allowed Casey to handle them fairly easy last night. When Danville played Somerset, they couldn't miss from outside. McKinney is a lights out shooter. I see Danville as a possible top 10 team especially if they become a consistent shooting team.

Somerset:

Somerset is a very young team. They will more than likely start 4 sophomores and a junior this year. With the loss of Powell and Coldiron to Pulaski they only have one returning starter in Trey Harmon so this will be a building year for Somerset. But don't think you will walk over them without a fight. They gave Casey Co. a very good game with Casey winning by around 3 points last night. Somerset's sophomore group is a very good group and will more than likely be one of the top teams in the region over the following 2 years. This year I see SHS working their way into the top 10 as the season progresses.

Don't forget that Pulaski County also has Treyvon Sylvester. IMO he is one of the top juniors on the region and he could very well earn a statewide reputation by the end of the summer.

He played really well in the regional game last year & has continued to improve his game this summer. I agree with you on him being one of the top juniors in the region, without question.

Pulaski has rotated their starting line up this summer but have been consistent with these 5:

Pg Landon Powell Jr

G Hagan Elmore So

G Riley Hall Sr

F Tryvon Sylvester Jr

C Daniel Coldiron Sr

I'm assuming G Jake Johnson Jr and F Mason Helton Jr have been the others starting and getting significant minutes at the varsity level.

My assessment from last night:

Casey Co.

Casey County will be a top 5 team this year. From what I can see, I don't think they are as good as Pulaski but they are right there with them. Casey has decent size and strength. The addition of the Russell County kid (wearing #14 last night) is going to help them a lot in the 3 position. Anyone know his name? Miller does a good job of running the team at point guard and Smith is probably going to be there leading scorer again this year. White is not necessarily a go to scorer but he will get a lot of point on clean-up and hustle. He is an intimidating defender though and will lead the team in rebounding and block shots. They have a couple of good shooters that will fill in the 2 position.

Danville:

Danville is going to be better than what they showed against Casey Co. They will once again be a small quick team that relies a lot on the 3 point shot. They had difficulty getting their shots to fall in the Casey Co. game and that allowed Casey to handle them fairly easy last night. When Danville played Somerset, they couldn't miss from outside. McKinney is a lights out shooter. I see Danville as a possible top 10 team especially if they become a consistent shooting team.

Somerset:

Somerset is a very young team. They will more than likely start 4 sophomores and a junior this year. With the loss of Powell and Coldiron to Pulaski they only have one returning starter in Trey Harmon so this will be a building year for Somerset. But don't think you will walk over them without a fight. They gave Casey Co. a very good game with Casey winning by around 3 points last night. Somerset's sophomore group is a very good group and will more than likely be one of the top teams in the region over the following 2 years. This year I see SHS working their way into the top 10 as the season progresses.

Kyking said the Russell County kid's name is Wyatt Slone.

Oh, sorry...I knew there had to be a reason I couldn't find my keys this morning. Funny thing though, they were in my ignition. But, I don't remember putting them in the ignition yesterday when I got into my truck to drive home from work? What day is it?

Well, that explains some things.

And today is Friday. Tomorrow is Saturday and the day after that will be Sunday, so don't forget to enjoy your weekend!

They also lost to Rowan County also but it is summer ball so it doesn't count for much. Mercer's starters didn't come into the Rowan game until there was 4 minutes left in the first half. They were down 11-9 then and then it was tied at 15 and after that Rowan was able to hang on for the win.

On Monday night, Mercer played Rowan and both teams started their starters and Mercer was up 28-4 or so before pulling their starters mid first half. The lead was cut to 12 by half then the starters came in again for the second half. It was about a 30 point lead when they went out again with about 5 minutes left.

They also beat Bourbon by about the same margin they beat Owen. They will play Collins and Rockcastle tonight.