Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dave Bezold Out As NKU's Coach

Featured Replies

  • Replies 125
  • Views 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael DeCourcy @tsnmike · 10m 10 minutes ago

 

Used to be @nkuedu was the closest Division I school to my house. Now that I hear they've parted with Dave Bezold, glad I moved.

 

It’s a move that feels cynical, shallow, uncomfortable. Maybe it’s not the case, but the change feels like the plan all along was to leave Bezold as a placeholder, just good enough to do the heavy lifting on the way to Division 1, but not good enough to give him a real shot to compete. Now with NCAA Tournament eligibility looming it’s time get a “bigger name” or an “up and comer.”

 

Where have I heard that before? :sssh:

Yes. They have a much larger figure earmarked for future coach. They also have a LARGE donor lined up if a certain guy is hired.

 

Doesn't hurt when your wife is worth ALOT of money and dad is willing to make that donation to get his son in law the gig....would love to see him get the job. NKU can be a good job with someone like him there.

  • Author
It’s a move that feels cynical, shallow, uncomfortable. Maybe it’s not the case, but the change feels like the plan all along was to leave Bezold as a placeholder, just good enough to do the heavy lifting on the way to Division 1, but not good enough to give him a real shot to compete. Now with NCAA Tournament eligibility looming it’s time get a “bigger name” or an “up and comer.”

 

Where have I heard that before? :sssh:

 

I feared it for Coach Bezold over the last couple of years. Just seems like its the nature of the business. Anyone know what the average amount of time a coach stays in the program once it's announced that they are going D-1?

I think a lot of people feel there is this huge crop of d1 talent in KY in several sports. Unfortunately it is just not the case.

  • Author

How many more years does Ken Bothof (Athletic Director) have left on his initial contract? Maybe he was feeling some heat and thought he needed to make a change?

I'm pretty confident that the Horizon League is where NKU will find itself not long after their probationary period is over.

 

Not sure that will happen, I believe the Horizon League was originally their first choice but there was no room for NKU. After Butler left though, I believe the Horizon League came calling, but it's like 3 million $ to get out of the contract with the A-Sun. I believe they're looking bigger than the Horizon League, so it won't be for awhile. Personally, I'd rather stay in the A-Sun, the weather is so much better and the competition is the same.

Yes. They have a much larger figure earmarked for future coach. They also have a LARGE donor lined up if a certain guy is hired.

 

Doesn't hurt when your wife is worth ALOT of money and dad is willing to make that donation to get his son in law the gig....would love to see him get the job. NKU can be a good job with someone like him there.

Can you guys help out the uninformed here? Who?

  • Author
Not sure that will happen, I believe the Horizon League was originally their first choice but there was no room for NKU. After Butler left though, I believe the Horizon League came calling, but it's like 3 million $ to get out of the contract with the A-Sun. I believe they're looking bigger than the Horizon League, so it won't be for awhile. Personally, I'd rather stay in the A-Sun, the weather is so much better and the competition is the same.

 

I'd imagine that the travel expense difference would far outweigh the weather.

 

It is my understanding that one of the main reason that NKU wound up choosing the ASun was because they were able to play a full schedule right away, or something along those lines. And it wouldn't surprise me if they knew they'd be able to compete for conference titles early, even though it wasn't set in stone.

 

I've been wrong on here before, but my bet is the Horizon League is their next stop when that day comes.

Not sure that will happen, I believe the Horizon League was originally their first choice but there was no room for NKU. After Butler left though, I believe the Horizon League came calling, but it's like 3 million $ to get out of the contract with the A-Sun. I believe they're looking bigger than the Horizon League, so it won't be for awhile. Personally, I'd rather stay in the A-Sun, the weather is so much better and the competition is the same.

 

The competition is a little different. Valpo and Green Bay would destroy the Atlantic Sun. Conference RPI.... Horizon (16) vs. Atlantic Sun (30)

 

Just for reference, the OVC is 25

I think a lot of people feel there is this huge crop of d1 talent in KY in several sports. Unfortunately it is just not the case.

 

What D1 schools have they been going to?

The competition is a little different. Valpo and Green Bay would destroy the Atlantic Sun. Conference RPI.... Horizon (16) vs. Atlantic Sun (30)

 

Just for reference, the OVC is 25

 

Yeah, the ASun is one of the worst 3-4 conferences in D-1.

 

I agree with others that the Horizon should be their next step, with the ultimate end goal to be the A-10 or MVC, which would obviously be years down the road.

So we know we'll have Travis Steele applying. I'd assume we'll have John Brannen applying.

 

I'm curious to hear the others that apply.

 

Northside is 100% correct that the new coach gets a better situation than Dave came into. That's just the way the business works though.

 

Program needs a jumpstart and the new coach will have 1 year of prep before NKU is eligible to make a run at the NCAA tourney.

 

Plus there's always the question of conference. What conference will NKU be in in the near future? Not sure if it's 100% A-Sun.

Been hearing that for a while too.
Can you guys help out the uninformed here? Who?

 

Ditto. How about a word scramble? Sounds like? Something ....

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.