Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belmont 88 Murray State 87

Featured Replies

The banked in 3 from deep is the one that really hurt. Racers played good defense for 33 seconds and the Belmont kid banks in one somewhere around a minute left. I was really expecting a foul with 9 seconds left. Then the Racers would at least get the ball back for the last shot, but they took a chance. It was another long 3 but it went in. Belmont was 15-38 behind the arc.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate it for the Racers, Cam had a tough night. Belmont hit some clutch 3's when they had too. Murray likely wins had they not had the turnover with only a few seconds left but it was not to be

  • Author
Sort of like "entitlement"?

Yes, somewhat. Also, some of the metrics listed earlier in this thread. I hope like heck they get in, by the way. Same with WKU---or any Kentucky school for that matter.

  • Author
Hate it for the Racers, Cam had a tough night. Belmont hit some clutch 3's when they had too. Murray likely wins had they not had the turnover with only a few seconds left but it was not to be

That looked to be a completely unforced error, although I did not get a real good look at it.

Sort of like "entitlement"?

 

No...more like they played one Top 50 team all year and got boat-raced. There isn't one thing you can point to that helps their case. Being the best team in the 22nd best league doesn't a bid make.

I don't see the Racers beating out a team from a power conference for a berth.

 

Murray State is currently 24th in one poll, 25th in another, only 5 losses, 32 wins, 5th in the nation in points per game, 17th in the nation in field goal percentage. Yet, you are probably right.

 

Here is the 'other receiving votes' from Coaches poll:

 

Georgetown 35, Dayton 25, San Diego St 22, Boise State 18, Oregon 14, Michigan St 13, St. John's 12, Texas A&M 11, Purdue 9, Davidson 9, Stephen F. Austin 7, Rhode Island 7, BYU 5, Virginia Commonwealth 5, LSU 5, Valparaiso 4, Colorado St 3, Kansas St 2, Texas 1, Ole Miss 1

 

The committee will likely select 'big conference' teams on the list above like - a 10+ loss Michigan State, a Kansas State that is 285th in points per game, and a 12+ loss Texas team that is 173rd in field goal percentage. ESPN announcers were all aglow about Texas last night saying - they are in.

Are people really advocating a team like Murray who hasn't win one good game to get in? Are we really ignoring schedule ?

Not saying Murray belongs or doesn't, but if they are so underwhelming why were they a top 25 ranked team in both polls?

Not saying Murray belongs or doesn't, but if they are so underwhelming why were they a top 25 ranked team in both polls?

 

The polls don't take into account strength of schedule and other factors. They take into account how you do on a week to week basis. 25 game winning streaks will get you ranked at some point regardless of the level of play. Plus, the polls aren't used to pick tournament teams.

I've had time to overcome last night in Nashville (the post postgame)...

 

What an amazing game I watched last night. I feel blessed to have been at this one. I'll post more when I get to the computer but there was just so much that happened in the game.

Not saying Murray belongs or doesn't, but if they are so underwhelming why were they a top 25 ranked team in both polls?

 

The polls are meaningless, they literally aren't even on the war room when the field is selected. They are for fans.

 

As PP92 said, when you win a ton of games against weak competition, you'll end up ranked. They clearly aren't one of the top 40 teams in the Country, so to argue an at-large bid is folly.

Are people really advocating a team like Murray who hasn't win one good game to get in? Are we really ignoring schedule ?

 

I would say that their victory over Illinois State is a decent win. Who I think would have a good shot at getting a bid. They also defeated regional foes Western Kentucky, Evansville, and Southern Illinois. Any team who can run the table in their conference deserves a look. Because that is against their equals. I have seen better MSU teams that could not go undefeated in conference play.

 

I also understand how the committee gets all into strength of schedule and the rpi and other things, but sometimes the polls should be given a little credit also.

I would say that their victory over Illinois State is a decent win. Who I think would have a good shot at getting a bid. They also defeated regional foes Western Kentucky, Evansville, and Southern Illinois. Any team who can run the table in their conference deserves a look. Because that is against their equals. I have seen better MSU teams that could not go undefeated in conference play.

 

I also understand how the committee gets all into strength of schedule and the rpi and other things, but sometimes the polls should be given a little credit also.

 

When your best win is against a team with an RPI in the 70s and the others you mention are in the 100s it's going to be a tough sell.

Murray State passes the look test for me. I think they would be a good addition to the NCAA Tournament but I also think they will NOT get a bid.

Will not get a bid and do not deserve one. They improved since their early season struggles, but how they lost the Valpo and Xavier games speaks volumes. Had those been competitive I may feel differently. They blew their first game against Houston after leading it by double digits. It is impressive what they accomplished but they can't be let in.

 

For the game. Wow. I knew it was going to be a battle when Belmont had already drained 7 threes before the 10 minute mark of the first half. Payne was off from the field, but still showed his big timeness drilling a dagger three, just as he had done on Friday night. Also had 10 assists. Belmont is so fluid on offense.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.