March 9, 201511 yr A) You are really harping on rankings and others "getting votes" -- honestly, those are completely superfluous to this conversation. They matter not at all. B) You keep referencing Texas as a team that should be excluded for Murray State. Texas will be a bubble team pending the Big 12 Tourney, but they have two wins over the RPI Top 25, Baylor and West Virginia. Also have a Top 50 win over Iowa. As has been alluded to, Murray's best win is over Illinois State, who will end up about 66 in the RPI. Murray has beaten ONE team in the RPI Top 100 all year...which is staggering. They have 15 wins over teams outside the RPI Top 200. Xavier has 12 losses, similar to the Texas team you harp on, but have beaten FOUR teams in the RPI Top 25. This isn't even apples to apples. Murray chose to play very regional non-conference away games, instead of building the best schedule they could. They played at MTSU, Xavier (very good opponent...and got smacked), Evansville, and Southern Illinois, which didn't leave them much room for error with the committee. Honestly, I'd LOVE Murray to get in, but I can't see any circumstance where that comes to fruition. Low tier mid-majors have a few options, and practically they all go the route Murray State does. Generally they play 1-2 big schools, 1-2 a notch below, 4-5 regional schools, and a couple of gimmes. I LOVE their regional games. Comparable size and typically some decent foes. If they are going to go that route, they simply have to perform better to warrant an at-large consideration. I am not saying they had to beat either Xavier or Valpo, but they needed a better showing. It is tough getting any decent competition to play anywhere besides at their place. If so it has been lopsided deals which they brokered with Dayton, which calls for 2 trips to the opponents place. Which is fine by me. Houston made the trip this season. By virtue of their conference they will always have a low RPI schedule strength. Wish they could get in to the MVC because they would be a great addition I feel, but they ain't ponying up that type of money (sadly).
March 9, 201511 yr I wonder if Prohm will make a move this year? Only if they get an at large and win a game or make a deep run in the NIT IMO. His wife is due like any day isn't she? She's a Local girl, so I'd think they'll hang around another year unless a big time offer rolls in which ain't happening this year unless they have some tourney success.
March 9, 201511 yr Prom was on XM radio's college sports channel this afternoon, and he said something that caught my attention. In response to the out of conference scheduling, he made the case that they had played in 2 big time early season tournaments since he has been there, and they were trying to get in to another this year...BUT...ESPN cut them off from every tournament. Excuse my ignorance on this, but does ESPN control who the participants are in the early season tourneys...like Maui, great Alaskan shootout, etc?
March 9, 201511 yr Author Prom was on XM radio's college sports channel this afternoon, and he said something that caught my attention. In response to the out of conference scheduling, he made the case that they had played in 2 big time early season tournaments since he has been there, and they were trying to get in to another this year...BUT...ESPN cut them off from every tournament. Excuse my ignorance on this, but does ESPN control who the participants are in the early season tourneys...like Maui, great Alaskan shootout, etc? Very interesting question.
March 10, 201511 yr Prom was on XM radio's college sports channel this afternoon, and he said something that caught my attention. In response to the out of conference scheduling, he made the case that they had played in 2 big time early season tournaments since he has been there, and they were trying to get in to another this year...BUT...ESPN cut them off from every tournament. Excuse my ignorance on this, but does ESPN control who the participants are in the early season tourneys...like Maui, great Alaskan shootout, etc? Not sure, but I could see where it would be a consideration. His first year they won the Great Alaska Shootout, 2nd year played in the one in South Carolina, I think? In Alaska they beat the host school, San Fransisco, and Southern Miss. In South Carolina they beat Auburn, St. John's, and lost to Colorado. The year before he started they played in the 76 Classic. Beat Stanford, then lost to someone else. This season they ended up doing a round robin deal with Valpo, Portland, and Drake in Nashville.
March 10, 201511 yr Only if they get an at large and win a game or make a deep run in the NIT IMO. His wife is due like any day isn't she? She's a Local girl, so I'd think they'll hang around another year unless a big time offer rolls in which ain't happening this year unless they have some tourney success. He has a chance to leave regardless I feel. But yes, Katie is from Murray. Prohm is a different duck. Incredibly spiritual and in love with the community and the community loves him back for what he has done. I do not know his long term aspirations, but Murray simply doesn't pay what he can get elsewhere.
March 10, 201511 yr He has a chance to leave regardless I feel. But yes, Katie is from Murray. Prohm is a different duck. Incredibly spiritual and in love with the community and the community loves him back for what he has done. I do not know his long term aspirations, but Murray simply doesn't pay what he can get elsewhere. I'm sure he could but I don't think it'd be much better than Muray and if it's a BCS conference, it's the worst team in the conference IMO which would be a death sentence to his career. If I'm him, I ride Payne for another year and see where the team lands. The iron isn't as hot as it was when they lost to Marquette in the tourney. Why go now when he didn't go then.
March 10, 201511 yr Low tier mid-majors have a few options, and practically they all go the route Murray State does. Generally they play 1-2 big schools, 1-2 a notch below, 4-5 regional schools, and a couple of gimmes. I LOVE their regional games. Comparable size and typically some decent foes. If they are going to go that route, they simply have to perform better to warrant an at-large consideration. I am not saying they had to beat either Xavier or Valpo, but they needed a better showing. I've been fortunate to have been involved in a mid-major program building schedules, and I couldn't disagree with your assessment more than I do. If Murray wants to build a National Program, and they are on the verge of that, they play buy games at every major school they can. They get more exposure, they improve their RPI, they make a ton of money for the program, and they are likely to steal a W or two. They would have ZERO problem getting those games because high major programs want buy games versus teams that will have solid RPI's. I'm glad you love the regional games, but they are on the cusp of taking their program to the next level and that schedule isn't going to do it. Ask Thad Matta what launched Xavier from a nice program to what it is now and he (and Sean) would tell you they began playing a National Schedule. Year 1 Thad went to Purdue and Creighton. Year 2 they went to Stanford and #1 Alabama. Year 3 they went to Mississippi State and Iowa State. Sean then went to Miami FL and Tennessee. I would love to see Murray go all-in and really try and take that program to the next level.
March 10, 201511 yr Hey I am ok with them hosting a NIT game or two at Murray. I just feel like they should be in the ncaa. They finally jelled as a team after a rocky start and played their equals and went undefeated during the regular season. Not many teams, any conference can say or do that. Its tough. I just don't like watching big schools who are not very good, are .500 in conference play and 5 of their other wins are against schools weaker than Murray State and they get a bid.
March 10, 201511 yr I've been fortunate to have been involved in a mid-major program building schedules, and I couldn't disagree with your assessment more than I do. If Murray wants to build a National Program, and they are on the verge of that, they play buy games at every major school they can. They get more exposure, they improve their RPI, they make a ton of money for the program, and they are likely to steal a W or two. They would have ZERO problem getting those games because high major programs want buy games versus teams that will have solid RPI's. I'm glad you love the regional games, but they are on the cusp of taking their program to the next level and that schedule isn't going to do it. Ask Thad Matta what launched Xavier from a nice program to what it is now and he (and Sean) would tell you they began playing a National Schedule. Year 1 Thad went to Purdue and Creighton. Year 2 they went to Stanford and #1 Alabama. Year 3 they went to Mississippi State and Iowa State. Sean then went to Miami FL and Tennessee. I would love to see Murray go all-in and really try and take that program to the next level. Problem is, that ain't happening staying in the OVC. I would love to see it as well, but until the rest of the conference steps up their game or they find a way in to a better conference situation by ponying up money they will be in this same predicament. A school like Davidson is a better measuring tool than Xavier, imo. Murray State, for as rich of a tradition as they have has never shown they will spend the money. I do not know if that has to do with the other sports sucking or what. You would think with the MVC losing a team like Creighton, Murray State might be an attractive replacement. In principle I agree with what you are saying.
March 10, 201511 yr A) You are really harping on rankings and others "getting votes" -- honestly, those are completely superfluous to this conversation. They matter not at all. B) You keep referencing Texas as a team that should be excluded for Murray State. Texas will be a bubble team pending the Big 12 Tourney, but they have two wins over the RPI Top 25, Baylor and West Virginia. Also have a Top 50 win over Iowa. As has been alluded to, Murray's best win is over Illinois State, who will end up about 66 in the RPI. Murray has beaten ONE team in the RPI Top 100 all year...which is staggering. They have 15 wins over teams outside the RPI Top 200. Xavier has 12 losses, similar to the Texas team you harp on, but have beaten FOUR teams in the RPI Top 25. This isn't even apples to apples. Murray chose to play very regional non-conference away games, instead of building the best schedule they could. They played at MTSU, Xavier (very good opponent...and got smacked), Evansville, and Southern Illinois, which didn't leave them much room for error with the committee. Honestly, I'd LOVE Murray to get in, but I can't see any circumstance where that comes to fruition. Caught Gary Parrish on radio on way out of Memphis this morning. He basically said no way Murray State gets in unless committee ignores its own 'body of work' attititude. His analysis was really good. He mentioned Iona situation and Texas and also Indiana. He he said something about talk of setting aside 4 slots for mid-major wild cards basically. He mentioned that Murrey and other mids do not even get to schedule 'up', especially when they have superstar on roster. Blind squirrels find acorns - schools like Texas have much more chances to find those acorns so they will have those 1 or 2 'quality wins'.
March 10, 201511 yr He he said something about talk of setting aside 4 slots for mid-major wild cards basically. This has been discussed a lot and I love the idea. This year, however, the list (in order) of mid-majors would look (about) like this: Gonzaga Northern Iowa Wichita State VCU Colorado State San Diego State Davidson Buffalo Old Dominion BYU Boise State SFA Wofford LaTech Iona Valpo Green Bay UC Davis Harvard Yale Illinois State Murray State I'm including the Mountain West as mid-major, but not the AAC. Even taking out the MWC schools, because they are admittedly borderline, you have a lot of schools, and not all of those can / will get auto-bids. Even under the 4 wild-card idea, this year, in my opinion, Murray wouldn't make the cut.
March 11, 201511 yr Steve Prohm @CoachProhm 10h10 hours ago Racernation! Love ur passion! But let's refrain from any direct tweets to members of the selection committee! They will do a great job!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.