Holmes 58 Newport Central Catholic 51 (9th Region Quarterfinals)

Not sure how many times I have read, "great season NCC." How is it a great season when you loose in the qt finals of your region, one you were one expected reach the final at the very least.

My guess is the NCC players and staff don't feel it was a great season. Certainly hope they had set a higher goal for themselves then region 9 qt finalists.

I'd say just because there is a disappointing end to the season, doesn't mean that KIDS/supporters/fans/parents can't consider their overall season, great.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats to Holmes on the win! Sounds like they were on a mission from the tip off to the end.

Congrats to NCC as well. You beat a heck of a lot teams during your career and were the envy of many. Good luck to all!

My biggest concern with the All A is how many games a team like NCC eats up with teams that they'll just smoke. I know everyone needs to play cupcakes, but if you are going to be in contention to win the All A State, you'll have quite a few laughers getting there, just how it is, especially given the number of ("A") teams in the 9th.

Not saying that it's the reason they've lost or that it's something where doing it differently would have guaranteed results, but it does make you wonder too. This past year and even the year before, I do think they'd have been better served just scheduling a game with a school like an LCA, doing a competitive tournament, and/or maybe played in a couple of "showcase" events where they'd get their kids in the big arena, tournament type atmosphere things. Thats just me though.

At the same time, you can't really say that with any way of knowing, so people will always say, "well, we could have had the same results in region while not having our All A titles too though" and you can't really disagree.

The All A didn't hurt Shelby Valley the year they won the All A State. They went on to win the KHSAA championship as well.

Paintsville lost in the All A State tournament but later went on to win the KHSAA at Rupp.

Hazard's girls win both titles in the early 2000's.

I don't think the All A hurts a team's chance to win their region, or the state.

I have had the pleasure of watching the NCC team from the start of the year to finish. I wish they could of represented the 9th region in the State tournament, they create such tough match ups for majority of teams. I don't believe you can place any blame on the NCC coaching staff, gotta give Holmes the credit. Thought the NCC schedule was on point through the season (King of the Bluegrass, etc,incuding the All A), in preparation for their run at the Region. The stars lined up just right for Holmes and they played the best I've seen all year.

Congratulations NCC, to a fine program, terrific young men, and wonderful families. I would hope each player will take something positive from this loss, (easier said then done) and have a absolute impact on their lives. After all that's why we love to play, coach, and watch the greatest game on the planet!

All I will say is NCC post their bigs way to high. It's hard to make a back to the basket move when your 10-12ft from the basket. In my opinion this was NCC's advantage and they definitely didn't take advantage of it. :idunno:

That District final may have put a bit of fire in the belly of the Holmes team. They were ready to leave it on the court. I agree with whomever said it, probably their best game of the season which is how you want your team to play when it is elimination time.

Give Holmes a lot of credit. They flat out brought their A game, and it helps when you knock down shots. There is an old saying, "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it". One again, Ncc plays a team with good talent and quickness, and they only sub one player for a very short period of time. Also, playing man to man tires you out more, and playing even, or from behind takes a toll as well. I don't think it was a concidence that Holmes was getting second and third chances on the offensive glass in the fourth quarter. To beat good teams you must use your bench and keep your players fresh for late in the game to make a run. If Ncc continues this same coaching style, I can pull this post out and paste it for the regional next year as well. And no I do not have a player on the team.