Holmes 58 Newport Central Catholic 51 (9th Region Quarterfinals)

Weighing in on the All "A" factor.

I do beleive that the non-A schools who put in a long season and suffer through the dog days between a Christmas tournament and the district/regional post season hit a lull and then rejuvenate and play at the top of their game at tournament time.

For "A" contenders, the "A" breaks up your schedule nicely - no dog days. Pre-Christmas, Holiday Tournaments, A-Regional, A-State, and then quickly the post-season. Like a thoroughbred race horse, basketball teams have form cycles, and it is tough to perform optimally from flag-fall to that's all, which does make it sometimes doubly tough to perfrom as well in the post-season as your non-A, "focused on the post-season" brethern.

Plus, in this case Holmes is good, and has the potential to play eyeball to eyeball with any team out there on a given night. There were many times during the season that Holmes could be cited for not giving their best effort, or being criticized for not winning as sizably as expected. BUT, when money-ball time rolls around and careers are threatened with being ended, you get their best shot, and NCC took the hit.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bolden was also fouled on that three attempt but didn't get the call. I still see your argument. I had no problem with the officiating last night but I've never seen a player get slapped as much dribbling as Bolden does, he's constantly getting beat up with the ball and given those circumstances he does a remarkable job. Lastly, I'd argue that NCC has three go to players not four. If you want to consider Moeves a go to player than under those guidelines Avery and Mullins would also be go to guys giving Holmes a total of four. Pangallo, McDonald and Weyer are go to guys. Moeves is a nice player but he's a role player IMO.

Moeves was very underutilized by NCC. I can see an argument for Avery over Moeves but he really is limited in what he can do for a team. I would take Moeves over Mullins without a second thought.

Couldn't disagree more.

How much have you watched Holmes this year?? Avery averages 14 & 7 a game and Mullins 11 ppg. Holmes has more talent than you're giving them credit for. Avery is arguably top 10 in the region and McClendon/Mullins will form what could be the best back court in NKY next year. (Hendrix/McNeil - CVH/Flood are up there too)

Now after those 4, you're right that they are role players, but those 4 are as good as any other 4 that you will find.

As for the comment about Bolden, he pressed a little in the first half but was the best player on the floor in the second half...18 second half points with 12 coming in the 4th qtr speaks for itself.

I am not saying Holmes doesn't have talent. They obviously do. I am saying NCC had more. As I stated in the post just above this one, I probably understated Avery because he can get off the floor and make plays. That is all he has but he has that great leaping ability that get him his points and rebounds. Mullins has potential but his game isn't there yet. We'll see how he continues to develop. I hope he steps up to the next level because I always like to see kids get the most out of their potential.

I am not doubting Bolden as the D1 player that he is. He is fun to watch and makes plays every game that are unique and impressive. That is why it disappoints me to see him making plays I consider selfish, like the off balance 22 foot 3 point try with 3 men on him and open teammates like McClendon waiting for a pass that never comes. Too many times I see him drawing defenders to him and then forcing the play himself instead of finding the open teammate. I want to see more of that in his game because he certainly has the potential to do it. Bolden is so good and has so much talent, I expect more out of him.

I am not saying Holmes doesn't have talent. They obviously do. I am saying NCC had more. As I stated in the post just above this one, I probably understated Avery because he can get off the floor and make plays. That is all he has but he has that great leaping ability that get him his points and rebounds. Mullins has potential but his game isn't there yet. We'll see how he continues to develop. I hope he steps up to the next level because I always like to see kids get the most out of their potential.

I am not doubting Bolden as the D1 player that he is. He is fun to watch and makes plays every game that are unique and impressive. That is why it disappoints me to see him making plays I consider selfish, like the off balance 22 foot 3 point try with 3 men on him and open teammates like McClendon waiting for a pass that never comes. Too many times I see him drawing defenders to him and then forcing the play himself instead of finding the open teammate. I want to see more of that in his game because he certainly has the potential to do it. Bolden is so good and has so much talent, I expect more out of him.

See I am the opposite. I have seen quite a few Holmes games this year and I have seen Bolden pass the ball more this year than any other year. Which is partly why I believe we have seen Holmes be more inconsistent this year. I remember watching Bolden take over games his sophomore year taking the same shots that you are complaining about now and making them. His ability to make contested shots is unbelieveable and honestly his contestant shots he takes probably have as good of a chance or not better than some open looks other high school players take. The one shot you are referring to at the end of the third quarter I could buy your argument of him probably should have passed the ball there. However other than that, most of the shots he took were the same type of shots he has always taken and made for most of his career.

IMO the aggressive try to take over a game Bolden is what they have been missing some this year, because I feel like he has tried to get other involved more this year instead of just taking over like he has in years past. I think when he has that mentality and then with McClendon doing his thing too makes Holmes very dangerous.

See I am the opposite. I have seen quite a few Holmes games this year and I have seen Bolden pass the ball more this year than any other year. Which is partly why I believe we have seen Holmes be more inconsistent this year. I remember watching Bolden take over games his sophomore year taking the same shots that you are complaining about now and making them. His ability to make contested shots is unbelieveable and honestly his contestant shots he takes probably have as good of a chance or not better than some open looks other high school players take. The one shot you are referring to at the end of the third quarter I could buy your argument of him probably should have passed the ball there. However other than that, most of the shots he took were the same type of shots he has always taken and made for most of his career.

IMO the aggressive try to take over a game Bolden is what they have been missing some this year, because I feel like he has tried to get other involved more this year instead of just taking over like he has in years past. I think when he has that mentality and then with McClendon doing his thing too makes Holmes very dangerous.

:thumb: Good to hear and thanks for sharing that.