Holmes 58 Newport Central Catholic 51 (9th Region Quarterfinals)

These NCC seniors will go down as one of the winningest classes in school history and have three all A state championship rings to go with it. Is it disappointing for them to lose early? Sure. But just like the past two years, they lost to one of the best teams in the region. I'm not buying the depth issue. They have beaten some really good teams this year with that same depth and simply ran in to a hungry team last night with similar talent and the best player on the floor in Bolden.

If Holmes continues to play like they did last night, they win region.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All in how you define great.

The Bengals beat some good teams during the regular season, but lost...again in the first round of playoffs, did they have a great season? If the KY Wildcats loose in the Elite 8, would you say they have a great season? Think most would agree neither the Bengals or the Wildcats, (anything short of a final 4 appearance) did not have a great season.

I would define it as NCC had a good season with a very disappointing end.

These NCC seniors will go down as one of the winningest classes in school history and have three all A state championship rings to go with it. Is it disappointing for them to lose early? Sure. But just like the past two years, they lost to one of the best teams in the region. I'm not buying the depth issue. They have beaten some really good teams this year with that same depth and simply ran in to a hungry team last night with similar talent and the best player on the floor in Bolden.

If Holmes continues to play like they did last night, they win region.

My only point is the lack of depth hurts them. Yes they beat some good teams. Yes they had a very good year. Yes they were one of the top 3 teams in NKY (unfortunately the other two are in their region). But depth might help them beat a Holmes or CovCath in the region.

I also still think Holmes is a team they could and maybe should beat. They just played tight in my opinion. And Holmes played a great game. The team revolves around Bolden.....but McClendon had a fantastic game. Avery had a solid game - and his dunk a thing of beauty. It was a fun game to watch. Two very good teams.

My only point is the lack of depth hurts them. Yes they beat some good teams. Yes they had a very good year. Yes they were one of the top 3 teams in NKY (unfortunately the other two are in their region). But depth might help them beat a Holmes or CovCath in the region.

I also still think Holmes is a team they could and maybe should beat. They just played tight in my opinion. And Holmes played a great game. The team revolves around Bolden.....but McClendon had a fantastic game. Avery had a solid game - and his dunk a thing of beauty. It was a fun game to watch. Two very good teams.

Now off to watch the 10th region games today!!! I love this time of year!!

All I will say is NCC post their bigs way to high. It's hard to make a back to the basket move when your 10-12ft from the basket. In my opinion this was NCC's advantage and they definitely didn't take advantage of it. :idunno:

AMEN. Been this way for years!!!!!!!!!!!

Every year people (me included) bring up NCC's lack of depth. We always then hear about the depth we are overlooking. We then see the depth bite them in the tourney.

Is it lack of players or lack of coach playing them? In this years team I think it was lack of players. Congrats on a nice run, especially for the Seniors. Plenty of classy kids on this team. Good luck to the Bulldogs.

New Cath had more talent on the floor last night. Holmes is a 2 player team - Bolden and McClendon. The rest are role players. New Cath has Pangallo, Moeves, McDonald and Weyer. The rest are role players. Personally, looking at the players on the court I feel NCC should beat Holmes 8, maybe even 9, out of 10 times. Congrats to Holmes on getting it done last night.

McClendon was the star of the game last night. Bolden trying to do way too much to the detriment of the team. His off balance 3 point attempt with 3 players on him at the end of the 3rd quarter was embarrassing. McClendon was standing wide open looking for the pass that never came. McClendon played a great game.

New Cath had more talent on the floor last night. Holmes is a 2 player team - Bolden and McClendon. The rest are role players. New Cath has Pangallo, Moeves, McDonald and Weyer. The rest are role players. Personally, looking at the players on the court I feel NCC should beat Holmes 8, maybe even 9, out of 10 times. Congrats to Holmes on getting it done last night.

McClendon was the star of the game last night. Bolden trying to do way too much to the detriment of the team. His off balance 3 point attempt with 3 players on him at the end of the 3rd quarter was embarrassing. McClendon was standing wide open looking for the pass that never came. McClendon played a great game.

Bolden was also fouled on that three attempt but didn't get the call. I still see your argument. I had no problem with the officiating last night but I've never seen a player get slapped as much dribbling as Bolden does, he's constantly getting beat up with the ball and given those circumstances he does a remarkable job. Lastly, I'd argue that NCC has three go to players not four. If you want to consider Moeves a go to player than under those guidelines Avery and Mullins would also be go to guys giving Holmes a total of four. Pangallo, McDonald and Weyer are go to guys. Moeves is a nice player but he's a role player IMO.

Ranked 3rd in state can only be a great season, just a bad ending. Holmes is no slouch for gosh sakes.

Got sucked into Opie Taylors avatar I see...:)

Were you able to overcome red tape and take pics or did you take a game off and just be?

Couldn't disagree more.

How much have you watched Holmes this year?? Avery averages 14 & 7 a game and Mullins 11 ppg. Holmes has more talent than you're giving them credit for. Avery is arguably top 10 in the region and McClendon/Mullins will form what could be the best back court in NKY next year. (Hendrix/McNeil - CVH/Flood are up there too)

Now after those 4, you're right that they are role players, but those 4 are as good as any other 4 that you will find.

As for the comment about Bolden, he pressed a little in the first half but was the best player on the floor in the second half...18 second half points with 12 coming in the 4th qtr speaks for itself.

Walter... do you have any highlights...Avery dunks...etc....??? Seems like there was an Avery alley oop dunk right over McDonald that was pretty wicked.

Will be working on the highlights from all 4 1st Round games tomorrow when I get home from the UC-Memphis game.