Holmes 58 Newport Central Catholic 51 (9th Region Quarterfinals)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McDonald was in the low post most of the night. As usual, he was more than anything Holmes had. after the opening few minutes, the Bulldogs did an outstanding job of denying the ball to him and they were double and triple teaming. They went down low enough. They just didn't shoot well from the outside. Weyer did play out on the floor more, though. I don't think it was coaching at all, Holmes just played better.

He was in the low post more in the second half but not much in the first. Most of their screens were being ran out at the foul line by both Drew and Ben. I didn't say NCC lost because of coaching. I said that coaches game plan was a factor. I didn't take anything away from Holmes so not sure why you are implying that. Holmes played a great game.

Having not been there...how do they only get to the line 6 times??? Was it not attacking the rim or what?

They weren't attacking much at all, moving it and dumping it in or taking an outside shot. Holmes was pretty aggressive defensively and did get some fouls out on the floor. It was a well officiated game. NCC was fouling at the end, also. Really wasn't a lot of free throw shooting until the end.

He was in the low post more in the second half but not much in the first. Most of their screens were being ran out at the foul line by both Drew and Ben. I didn't say NCC lost because of coaching. I said that coaches game plan was a factor. I didn't take anything away from Holmes so not sure why you are implying that. Holmes played a great game.

Wasn't implying anything, just stating what I saw. I didn't think you were saying anything more than they didn't keep the bigs down low. They did dump it to McDonald a lot.

The Breds are out of shape and were out coached, not a good formula for winning. Avery was awesome tonight, he has a lot raw talent. This kid could be a D1 prospect, if somebody can help develop him.

He is extremely athletic. Not sure he is D-1, he needs to bulk up a lot. You may be correct in the he has ton of talent to develop.

Wasn't implying anything, just stating what I saw. I didn't think you were saying anything more than they didn't keep the bigs down low. They did dump it to McDonald a lot.

I agree they got the ball to McDonald when he was down low but the problem was the help. Weyer too far away from the basket to be an option and no size to rebound off misses. If Weyer is down low with McDonald then would Holmes have been able to double and triple team Drew? I wish we could have seen the outcome if that was the case. Congrats on a great season NCC and good luck to Holmes the rest of the way.

It seems to me in a lot of cases that most A schools shoot for that All A State appearance or even just doing well in there own A regional tournament. and then the air goes completely out of the sails after that, with or without success. The focus is just not there, like in a way the season is over, that's why there are so many upsets and score discrepancies in January and February leading up to districts(when focus and fire come back). That may only apply just a tad for NCC because they had the talent to achieve bigger things, but All A success may just take a little fire out of winning region, just a thought.

They weren't attacking much at all, moving it and dumping it in or taking an outside shot. Holmes was pretty aggressive defensively and did get some fouls out on the floor. It was a well officiated game. NCC was fouling at the end, also. Really wasn't a lot of free throw shooting until the end.

My point is 6'7 and 6'6...DI caliber...6 free throws total is not good. Attack the rim from the post or penetration

It seems to me in a lot of cases that most A schools shoot for that All A State appearance or even just doing well in there own A regional tournament. and then the air goes completely out of the sails after that, with or without success. The focus is just not there, like in a way the season is over, that's why there are so many upsets and score discrepancies in January and February leading up to districts(when focus and fire come back). That may only apply just a tad for NCC because they had the talent to achieve bigger things, but All A success may just take a little fire out of winning region, just a thought.

No way that that had any influence here.

Goes to show how tough it is to win a regional tournament

At the end of the day this is the truth but unfortunately folks will look for other answers that are way too deep than they need to be. Winning a region tournament is very hard. I don't care how good you are.

My point is 6'7 and 6'6...DI caliber...6 free throws total is not good. Attack the rim from the post or penetration

I understand and Weyer took very few shots at the rim, in fact, he wasn't down low much at all. McDonald did. He was fouled a few times in ball denial before they were in the bonus, he walked once. When he took the shot, generally, there were not attempts to block them. He just pretty much dropped it in.