Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calls Refs Miss

Featured Replies

I am opening a can of worms, but here goes anyway.

 

One call I believe is missed on a regular basis by refs is that awkward play that looks like traveling but it isn't. If you lift your pivot foot, it isn't traveling. It isn't traveling till the foot hits the ground again. So often you will see a player trying to come to a stop who loses their footing or balance, their pivot foot comes off the floor and the ref will call traveling just because it doesn't look right.

  • Replies 187
  • Views 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most missed call on every level of basketball is the charge call.

The most missed call on every level of basketball is the charge call.

 

Preach.

  • Author
The most missed call on every level of basketball is the charge call.

 

Oh boy, I could go on all day on that one. I would be very strict on calling the charge. You better be set and none of this sliding after the offensive player leaves his feet.

Oh boy, I could go on all day on that one. I would be very strict on calling the charge. You better be set and none of this sliding after the offensive player leaves his feet.

 

If I was the dictator of basketball:

 

If an offensive player extends the arm, or hooks the defender, or lowers his shoulder, fine. Everything else is a block.

If I was the dictator of basketball:

 

If an offensive player extends the arm, or hooks the defender, or lowers his shoulder, fine. Everything else is a block.

 

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I hear you.

The jump stop.

I feel like there are quite a few double dribbles that don't get called. Example: player pulls down a rebound or gets a steal, takes a dribble to control it, picks up the dribble, the defenders get up on him and a second or two later, he takes another dribble. Maybe it's just my interpretation of what a player having control of the ball actually means too though, but there are some times that I'll see it and think "he doubled".

And to be clear, officials miss a HECK of a lot fewer calls than fans miss.

They consistently miss the foul that caused the travel. They also miss a lot of trash talking in my opinion.

Block/Charge call is the one that officials need to spend more time working on.

 

When there are bodies on the floor and no call - dont care what you call just call something.

 

I was at a game 11th region officials called blocking on 2 different times. First one was 50/50. But second was charge all the way and he called a block.

 

Second missed call is travleing.

One of the biggest problems with the charge/block call is when the player is deemed to be out of control the ref will call a charge. But there is no rule against a player being out of "control" , defender must be set. It looks bad so a charge is called.

 

My problem with bad charge calls had always been it usually rewards teams for bad defense.

Generally I feel like refs get the call right way more often than they don't.

 

One I will mention as annoying though:

End of the game and the defensive team is obviously trying to foul. Red won't call the bump/reach until several seconds run off the clock and the defense almost has to commit a flagrant foul to get the other team to the line. The refs who don't have a good "feel" for the game flow are the ones that I find annoying.

....

 

I think the Euro Step is incorrectly called a walk way too often.

 

Figures that I disagree with you.

 

The Euro Step is a walk everytime! The pivot foot has already left the floor. It is a walk.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.