Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calls Refs Miss

Featured Replies

Frustration is growing on you because you know that the euro step is an illegal step in high school basketball.

 

Let's use one live action play here. Lets use the very first play in this video.

 

 

Tell me the pivot foot.

Tell me if it's legal.

Tell me why.

  • Replies 187
  • Views 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you watch the other three and think they are traveling, I can't help you.

 

I don't need your help or anybody else's help.

 

It is a travel but it won't be called correctly.

...

 

VOR, Clyde....why?

 

Why are you involved MTGL?

 

run along now

Why are you involved MTGL?

 

run along now

 

Did you miss post 61? Let me hear your analysis.

Let's use one live action play here. Lets use the very first play in this video.

 

 

Tell me the pivot foot.

Tell me if it's legal.

Tell me why.

 

Why should I?

 

After receiving dumbfounded comments from both of you attacking my intelligence on the matter, why should I continue with this nonsense?

 

So long.

Why are you involved MTGL?

 

run along now

Ha...good stuff. You're a peach.

 

I'm involved, for the record, because the euro step started with my post. And because I want to be. And because watching you dig yourself a hole is highly comical. And because you've entertained me with GRC ranking bemoaning for about 3 months.

Why should I?

 

After receiving dumbfounded comments from both of you attacking my intelligence on the matter, why should I continue with this nonsense?

 

So long.

 

This is how I know I'm right. I give you a play to analyze and you pass on it.

 

This is a perfect example of why I don't pay much attention to "refs stunk" posts.

The walk-through and the live play are the same.

 

The ball was secured as the left was still on the ground; therefore, when he picked the left up, the right became the pivot foot.

 

You might want to go back and read ALL of my posts especially this one.

 

ART. 2 . . . A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:

 

a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:

 

1. Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.

2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

 

b. If one foot is on the floor:

 

1. It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.

2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

 

 

If anyone thinks GRC isn't still reading this thread....

 

So, GRC, I've copied your posts. The BOLD shows that you are struggling.

 

You correctly state the left foot was on the ground when the ball was secured. You then copy the real rule which states that the pivot foot on a dribble is the foot that is on the ground when the ball is secured.

 

Somehow you ignored what you typed and said the pivot is the foot that lands AFTER the ball is secured with one foot on the ground.

 

That's your first and primary error. If you can't get that part right you're done.

I do give GRC full credit for going to the real rulebook. Most fans do not.

In an attempt to get this thread back to something other than the Eurostep, I have an issue with the fact that an offensive charge seems to only be called when the defensive player falls to the ground. Too often I see the offensive player lower his shoulder and uses it to clear space against the defender. Because the defender is large and/or does not fall to the ground, the offensive charge is not called. IMO, this contributes to the "flopping" that we see at all levels.

 

With that said, you could not pay me twice as much as basketball referees are paid and perform that job. Major respect to the guys/girls who wear the stripes.

Good thread. Got, uhmm, just a little bogged down, but good thread.

 

Just a few thoughts while admitting that I think by and large refs at the varsity level and beyond typically call a good to great game.

 

I don't see many travels/non travels being missed/mis-called.

 

I don't see the block/charge call being called incorrectly very often.

 

The call that is missed the most and it's not even close, is the 5-second call. For whatever reason, many refs just don't want to make this call on a dribbler. Many are slow to start a count, and will break the count prematurely.

 

And a few nuggets that I noticed from today's games to remind us that the officials get it right more than a lot of people:

 

Late in the Nebraska/Penn St. game, the Huskers are throwing the ball inbounds. Indbounder has trouble and looks in both directions, chopping his feet as he does so. Penn St. bench erupts (except for head coach) screaming and making the signal for a travel violation to be called. It was a side line out of bounds across from the benches so I had a great vantage point of the bench. I couldn't believe guys at that level didn't know this rule.

 

Tonight during the UK/Florida game, Jay Bilas went over the top a couple of times. I think Bilas is a great commentator, great spokesman for the game, and provides mostly great insight. He's one of the best, if not the best. But, he went off on the charge call against Harrison late in the game. I get Bilas point that Harrison didn't generate enough force to send a player flopping like that, or whatever he said. Fact is, Harrison led with a lowered shoulder that clearly impacted the defender directly in the chest. This is called an offensive foul consistently and has been for years. Thought Bilas was a bit harsh on the officials on that call.

 

A few minutes later, a Florida post player is called for a travel. Bilas rips the official and said there was not travel. Clearly there was, on the first shot fake, before a dribble was ever attempted. Reply clearly showed it. Bilas said something to the affect of "he was dribbling", while watching the replay. he was right, the travel occurred well before that. Bilas missed that part. Late whistle, correct call.

 

The thing I like most about threads like this is they often become very informative, and as a result give everyone a chance to learn something new.

Euro step when done correctly is obviously legal. The only problem with it , it is still relatively new at the HS level and some refs can't see the difference of a legal to illegal play. If anything I've seen it called a walk more often when it shouldn't be.

One of the biggest problems with the charge/block call is when the player is deemed to be out of control the ref will call a charge. But there is no rule against a player being out of "control" , defender must be set. It looks bad so a charge is called.

 

My problem with bad charge calls had always been it usually rewards teams for bad defense.

 

….and herein lies the problem with interpretation of the Block / Charge. Where in the rule book does it say the defensive player must be "set" ? It doesn't. The defensive player must be in "legal guarding position", not set. They can be moving and are entitled to the space on the floor, same as offense. They also have to be in a position playing legal defense. This does not mean hanging out under the rim waiting on an offensive player to hit them on their way down. This is a block, regardless of if the defender was "set".

 

I do think a lot of HS officials pass on the above and just tell the defender to get up and play on. It should be a block, it's just a hard one to get with at times.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.