Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calls Refs Miss

Featured Replies

What's the rule on this scenario? Player is on the right baseline about 8 feet from the basket. He has used up his dribble. His left foot is his pivot foot. He is spinning and thus lifting his right foot up and down off the floor. He decides to go for the rim and directs his right foot that way. He moves forward on his right foot and in so doing lifts his left foot. Without traveling, he can complete the step with his left (formerly pivot)) foot (I think). Now his left foot is on the floor and his right foot is in the air. Must he shoot or pass before his right foot again hits the floor?

  • Replies 187
  • Views 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a player dives to the floor he can slide until his momentum stops him. From there if he "scoots" or stands up it is a travel.

 

If a player is on the floor and ends up with the ball and is stationary he/she cannot scoot or slide.

 

To make that distinction to be quite honest, is crazy. So again, if that's the case, it's a bad rule.

To make that distinction to be quite honest, is crazy. So again, if that's the case, it's a bad rule.

 

Let me clear. There is no "if that's the case."

 

So how would you make the rule work?

What's the rule on this scenario? Player is on the right baseline about 8 feet from the basket. He has used up his dribble. His left foot is his pivot foot. He is spinning and thus lifting his right foot up and down off the floor. He decides to go for the rim and directs his right foot that way. He moves forward on his right foot and in so doing lifts his left foot. Without traveling, he can complete the step with his left (formerly pivot)) foot (I think). Now his left foot is on the floor and his right foot is in the air. Must he shoot or pass before his right foot again hits the floor?

 

You said his left foot is his pivot.

 

So...

 

He can do anything he wants with his right foot.

He can lift his left/pivot foot without penalty.

He cannot bring the left/pivot back down before passing or shooting the ball.

I didn't read all this thread. But I'm curious to see the video on a critical call late in the Doss-Bardstown game Tuesday night. Bardstown player driving to the hole and scores, with much contact. Initial call was a charge, but after much discussion, refs decided to rule it a double foul — block+charge — with the basket counting. I was at the game first half, but wasn't there for the play in question.

 

If I can get it I'll share it with you guys.

 

When's the last time any of you saw a block-charge called that way?

I didn't read all this thread. But I'm curious to see the video on a critical call late in the Doss-Bardstown game Tuesday night. Bardstown player driving to the hole and scores, with much contact. Initial call was a charge, but after much discussion, refs decided to rule it a double foul — block+charge — with the basket counting. I was at the game first half, but wasn't there for the play in question.

 

If I can get it I'll share it with you guys.

 

When's the last time any of you saw a block-charge called that way?

 

The dreaded "blarge."

 

It occurs when one or both officials do not wait just a split second to make sure their partner hasn't already signaled. By rule you have to go with both. You can't pick. Both players get a foul. Ball goes back to the point of interruption. If the double foul happened while the shooter still possessed the ball the offense retains possession. If the contact happened after the ball was released you go to the arrow.

 

It probably happens more than you realize - unfortunately.

The dreaded "blarge."

 

It occurs when one or both officials do not wait just a split second to make sure their partner hasn't already signaled. By rule you have to go with both. You can't pick. Both players get a foul. Ball goes back to the point of interruption. If the double foul happened while the shooter still possessed the ball the offense retains possession. If the contact happened after the ball was released you go to the arrow.

 

It probably happens more than you realize - unfortunately.

 

You know how many games I see. I can't recall the last time I saw it in a game, if ever. Can't remember how the radio guys said the possession went. They were too flabbergasted that a block/charge was called.

You know how many games I see. I can't recall the last time I saw it in a game' date=' if ever. Can't remember how the radio guys said the possession went. They were too flabbergasted that a block/charge was called.[/quote']

 

It is a crazy rule for a situation with no good solution.

Doesnt have to be anything. If a defender gets hit in the arm and falls it is nothing.

 

More often than not its called a block. Therein lies the problem.

Key word is "theoretically."

 

Call me if you see it happen.

 

I've seen it for 12-15 feet.

What if the defender grabbed the the jersey of the player coming off of the screen? Let it go?

 

lol Apples and oranges. One gains an advantage, one does not. No sense in debating with you. I guess you are/were an official, and you appear to defend them at every opportunity.

The dreaded "blarge."

 

It occurs when one or both officials do not wait just a split second to make sure their partner hasn't already signaled. By rule you have to go with both. You can't pick. Both players get a foul. Ball goes back to the point of interruption. If the double foul happened while the shooter still possessed the ball the offense retains possession. If the contact happened after the ball was released you go to the arrow.

 

It probably happens more than you realize - unfortunately.

 

It occurs when incompetence is present. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be a block AND a charge at the same time. Common sense will tell you that.

lol Apples and oranges. One gains an advantage, one does not. No sense in debating with you. I guess you are/were an official, and you appear to defend them at every opportunity.

 

...and you appear to want to bash them at every opportunity.

I've seen it for 12-15 feet.

 

That would be rare but what's the issue? Should be easy for the D to get the ball if a player is tapping it.

lol Apples and oranges. One gains an advantage, one does not. No sense in debating with you. I guess you are/were an official, and you appear to defend them at every opportunity.

 

There was an advantage gained. The kid ran out of bounds when the rule says he cannot do that. So instead of him stopping and altering his path he did something illegal ie advantage gained.

 

In my example an advantage was also gained. No difference.

 

I defend the officials who make the right calls. However, if they screw up I also say it. The blarge call Jim posted is a perfect example. It should NEVER happen and it if does an official screwed up - which I said.

 

Your issue seems to be more with the rulebook and not calls so which do you want to debate? You still haven't told me how you would write the rules for a kid sliding on the floor.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.