Highlands 8 Conner 2

I was in attendance for this one doing some advanced "scouting", and all I can say is the Birds were nothing short of IMPRESSIVE this evening. :notworthy:

Other than the Knock(PA) game in the Pete Noll last year, I've never seen Elizabeth Sims get hit the way she did tonight....Lord have mercy!!!! The ENTIRE Highlands line-up 1-9 stroked the ball, right to left to center, and all points in between. :eek: The Birds also executed some of the best bunts you will ever see. Big 1st inning for the Birds, with the sacks juiced and 2-out, Brennah Dutcher unloads on a 2-2 pitch to the fence in the alley in left-center. Birds missed another golden opportunity with bases loaded and none out, but came away empty handed. Conner had their chances, but the Highlands defense was there to stop them.

Spencer for Highlands did a great job in her 1st game in 10 days, however Biz was all over the place. I have never seen her this much off her game, and she didn't help herself with, from my count, 5 wild pitches which resulted in 2-runs scoring. Cougars also had a few head-scratching plays on offense and defense, however Coach Koors ALWAYS has one of the most fundamentally sound teams in the Region , and I'm sure this will get fixed. Sydney Himes for Conner looked like the Sydney Himes we all know, beautiful bunt and "slap" base hits tonight.

AllenR, hopefully you have pictures of Haley Coffey's diving back-hand stop in the hole at short, that was a thing of beauty. :thumb:

Hopefully this Birds team is not the one we see on Friday. Congrats to Coach Coffey and the Birds on a great win tonight.

I was in attendance for this one doing some advanced "scouting", and all I can say is the Birds were nothing short of IMPRESSIVE this evening. :notworthy:

AllenR, hopefully you have pictures of Haley Coffey's diving back-hand stop in the hole at short, that was a thing of beauty. :thumb:

Special thanks to Lawnboy for coming out tonight and bringing his rain with him...

I got Haley, but a fraction of a second late.

Have a very nice bat on ball shot of Dutcher's SHOT for a 3 RBI triple...

Will post in the morning

Special thanks to Lawnboy for coming out tonight and bringing his rain with him...

"I got Haley, but a fraction of a second late.

Have a very nice bat on ball shot of Dutcher's SHOT for a 3 RBI triple..."

Haley's defensive play is getting contagious... Dutcher even hit the dirt on an unassisted double play... Nice to see the outcome when you go error free. Fielding is beginning to come around. Quillen had a great play on a bunt to throw the runner out and the youngster Gabbard had a couple nice plays at second.

It was good to see Grosser re enter after that nasty ankle twist legging out an infield hit... Overheard her say "It's my Senior year and I'm not sitting out" Shortly there after she hits a triple past the right fielder.... Nice senior leadership

I got Haley, but a fraction of a second late.

Have a very nice bat on ball shot of Dutcher's SHOT for a 3 RBI triple...

Will post in the morning

I try to do my part. :lol2:

Unbelievable, paNDA would have got it. J/K, looking forward to your photos.

"I got Haley, but a fraction of a second late.

Have a very nice bat on ball shot of Dutcher's SHOT for a 3 RBI triple..."

Haley's defensive play is getting contagious... Dutcher even hit the dirt on an unassisted double play... Nice to see the outcome when you go error free. Fielding is beginning to come around. Quillen had a great play on a bunt to throw the runner out and the youngster Gabbard had a couple nice plays at second.

It was good to see Grosser re enter after that nasty ankle twist legging out an infield hit... Overheard her say "It's my Senior year and I'm not sitting out" Shortly there after she hits a triple past the right fielder.... Nice senior leadership

It doesn't get any better than this. :ylsuper:

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM

Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

The Highlands Ladybirds softball team sought a signature win.

Highlands found it Tuesday with a rain-shortened 8-3 victory over the Conner Lady Cougars in Hebron. The game was called in the bottom of the sixth.

Highlands (10-11) entered the game 0-4 against 33rd District opponents. Conner and Ryle battled for the 9th Region crown for years until Notre Dame won it last year.

Bailey Spencer picked up the pitching win for Highlands. She struck out two, walked two and allowed six hits.

Highlands garnered 13 hits. Haley Coffey, Shelby Graybill, Ashley Grosser, Brennah Dutcher, Rachel Gabbard and Josie Daley garnered two each. Dutcher tripled with the bases loaded and Grosser had the other triple with Graybill doubling. Dutcher finished with four runs batted in and Graybill had two. Coffey and pinch-runner Kara Fornash scored two runs each.

Highlands plays host to Campbell County on Thursday. Game time is 5 p.m.

Fort Thomas Sports: Highlands earns signature win over Conner

Dutcher's triple:

IMG_20140429_194421.jpg

Coffey dive sequence:

0429-172422-BIRD4177.jpg

0429-172422-BIRD4179.jpg

Dutcher dive. Called safe in the field. Field umpire behind the play. Home plate ump could see and called out. Notice Gabbard's field awareness calling to get the runner.

0429-181140-BIRD4647.jpg

0429-181142-BIRD4652.jpg

0429-181144-BIRD4655.jpg

0429-181144-BIRD4656.jpg

IMG_20140429_194130.jpg

0429-172422-BIRD4175.jpg

0429-172422-BIRD4176.jpg

0429-172422-BIRD4178.jpg

0429-181140-BIRD4644.jpg

0429-181140-BIRD4646.jpg

0429-181142-BIRD4648.jpg

0429-181142-BIRD4651.jpg

0429-181142-BIRD4653.jpg

0429-181144-BIRD4654.jpg

Freshman and first time softball player Kara F making a nice catch while covering for the injured Grosser.

IMG_20140429_200145.jpg

Shelby reaching out and drilling one that looked like it would have bounced off the plate.

IMG_20140429_200436.jpg

Grosser back on the field after rolling her ankle.IMG_20140429_200654.jpg

Fun Game to watch! Big Team effort by the Birds with some defensive and offensive gems to beat a very good Conner Team for the first time in a long time!

A win against one of the best teams in the Region is a big step for this group of girls that are really starting to believe in themselves and each other!

13 Hits off one of the top 2 or 3 Pitchers in Northern Kentucky is always a good day at the plate! That young lady throws a drop ball that is in the zone one second and is hitting behind the plate the next second. That's got to be a tough pitch for the umpire to call!

Allen R as always you take great pictures!