Next Tennessee coach?

It will be interesting to see who Tennessee targets and hires. I think some will depend on how much coin they are willing to pony up? In my opinion, it is a pretty good job.

Pearl had them on the rebound, but the hiring of Martin, was the polar opposite of what Pearl had done to excite the fan base, in particular, style of play.

With Mizzou open as well, there will be a bidding war for some of these top tier guys on both lists.

Who are the targets?

The first name that popped into my mind was Gregg Marshall. It would take a whole lot of $$$$ to get him. Is he holding out for a much higher profile job?

Mick Cronin? He is sniffing around, but most figure he is trying to use it as leverage for a better contract or pressure for facilities upgrades.

Travis Ford? He is quietly interested in the job. Making it known he would take job if offered, but not willing to do the song and dance.

Ben Howland? Would be the similar to what they had in Martin. Howland would do anything to have that SI story that ran last year be redacted from ever happening.

Archie Miller? Not sure if they can pry him after inking new deal.

Chris Mack? Been linked to practically most open power conference jobs. Has not gotten an extension or raise yet. One of the lowest paid coaches in the Big East, I believe.

Richard Pitino?

Any other Villa 7 coaches?

Fallbacks? If UT misses on their top tier guys, I would think Donnie Tyndall, who I think is a tremendous coach and would be a great hire for UT, would be one option. The other being Michael White from Louisiana Tech. Solid pedigree and his dad is AD at Duke.

By the way, is Buzz Williams has to be kicking himself for jumping gun and taking VPI job.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see who Tennessee targets and hires. I think some will depend on how much coin they are willing to pony up? In my opinion, it is a pretty good job.

Pearl had them on the rebound, but the hiring of Martin, was the polar opposite of what Pearl had done to excite the fan base, in particular, style of play.

With Mizzou open as well, there will be a bidding war for some of these top tier guys on both lists.

Who are the targets?

The first name that popped into my mind was Gregg Marshall. It would take a whole lot of $$$$ to get him. Is he holding out for a much higher profile job?

Mick Cronin? He is sniffing around, but most figure he is trying to use it as leverage for a better contract or pressure for facilities upgrades.

Travis Ford? He is quietly interested in the job. Making it known he would take job if offered, but not willing to do the song and dance.

Ben Howland? Would be the similar to what they had in Martin. Howland would do anything to have that SI story that ran last year be redacted from ever happening.

Archie Miller? Not sure if they can pry him after inking new deal.

Chris Mack? Been linked to practically most open power conference jobs. Has not gotten an extension or raise yet. One of the lowest paid coaches in the Big East, I believe.

Richard Pitino?

Any other Villa 7 coaches?

Fallbacks? If UT misses on their top tier guys, I would think Donnie Tyndall, who I think is a tremendous coach and would be a great hire for UT, would be one option. The other being Michael White from Louisiana Tech. Solid pedigree and his dad is AD at Duke.

By the way, is Buzz Williams has to be kicking himself for jumping gun and taking VPI job.

If I'm Greg Marshall, there's not a chance I leave a potential top 10 team in Wichita State for the mess that is called Tennessee. I'd hold out for another job. I see Richard Pitino as the more likely candidate.

Absolutely it is. As was said, it's much warmer..easier to recruit. Easier conference.

I agree it's likely warmer in Knoxville but it doesn't sit on the equator. Let's be honest, during the season neither destination is a place you want to be if you are seeking warmth. Plenty of good players in Minneapolis and the surrounding metropolitan areas plus they are the only D1 school in the state.