March 9, 201412 yr If this team had a PG that actually cared about assists and making everyone around him look good, this team would be 10X better. Im hoping next year Ullis impresses and Hawkins improves enough to play meaningful minutes. The Andrew Harrison experiment failed this year. Maybe in the offseason he can develop into a better distributor, but I doubt that.
March 9, 201412 yr Also the thing that gets me was this team was on a great trajectory actually. After they lost to UF and pummeled Ole Miss it seemed like they were getting better and starting to figure it out. I don't know how the wheels fell off this bad.
March 9, 201412 yr Also the thing that gets me was this team was on a great trajectory actually. After they lost to UF and pummeled Ole Miss it seemed like they were getting better and starting to figure it out. I don't know how the wheels fell off this bad. This team is the ultimate "front runner". When things are going good they play with confidence. When things aren't great, they stop hustling, stop sharing the ball, and try to go 1 on 5.
March 9, 201412 yr Plus there is a good chance that 2 and done rule will be put in place this summer CBA doesn't expire till 2017.
March 9, 201412 yr I am not off the one and done recruiting but there has to be some balance. You need some upper class leadership. This year's team is just ridiculous on the freshman playing time versus upper class. I believe this team has the highest percent of playing time by freshmen ever. Also, you can't win at the level UK wants and expects to achieve with all forwards/centers, and NO GUARDS! The Harrison's are basicly small forwards, and IMO will never be efficient guards. Too slow, can't guard, can't shoot, and below average handling the ball. Passing isn't great either, nor decision making. I realize they're only freshmen but they could play all 4 years at UK and wouldn't get any quicker. That's a natural gift that can't be taught. UK is going to have to sign some true point guards, and preferably ones that can shoot to go along with their other skills. This is two consecutive years the Cats have been without a PG and without leadership. And we see the sad results.
March 9, 201412 yr If the guys that should return do return, this will actually be a team. Cal's first and third teams were so good because they had roles. Take 2012 for example, they had a defensive savant in Davis, an emotional leader that excelled as a lockdown defender in MKG, a PF that could score, a versatile weapon off the bench in Miller, a steady pg in Teague and shooters in Lamb and Wiltjer. Everyone had a role and accepted that role. This years team doesn't have that. The Twins should pick up alot of things that will help them over the summer. Young can learn how to play if he comes back. The sky is the roof for Dakari. Lee will get better. Poythress may end up being a Miller type of guy for UK though with different skills. Willis and Hawkins will be able to help. And we haven't even discussed the incoming guys. Since most of the players that you've mentioned have exhibited almost zero basketball intelligence what makes you think they will do the smart thing and return next season? I think you're looking at the Harrisons, Randle, Young, Cauley-Stein and Lee leaving either to enter the draft or through transfer and it wouldn't shock me to see Johnson leave as well.
March 9, 201412 yr Since most of the players that you've mentioned have exhibited almost zero basketball intelligence what makes you think they will do the smart thing and return next season? I think you're looking at the Harrisons, Randle, Young, Cauley-Stein and Lee leaving either to enter the draft or through transfer and it wouldn't shock me to see Johnson leave as well. Harrison's won't leave for the NBA cause they aren't even close to being ready. Young I'm 50-50 on. WCS and Randle are the only 2 I see leaving. Lee will stay and play more minutes next year and Dalari is going to be a beast next year. I could see this being Cals deepest team next year. But what matters is how the top guys play and as we've seen so far it's been little to be desired. If these guys can improve mentally there is no telling what's possible.
March 9, 201412 yr Harrison's won't leave for the NBA cause they aren't even close to being ready. Young I'm 50-50 on. WCS and Randle are the only 2 I see leaving. Lee will stay and play more minutes next year and Dalari is going to be a beast next year. I could see this being Cals deepest team next year. But what matters is how the top guys play and as we've seen so far it's been little to be desired. If these guys can improve mentally there is no telling what's possible. With the Harrison's body language and seeming disdain for Cal's coaching I could easily see them leaving, even if for the NBDL. I've heard from more than one person that Lee isn't happy, it would not surprise me at all to see him leave. And as for Dakari, well none of us thought Orton would leave either did we? I say at least 5 players from this year's team that are not seniors do not return next season.
March 9, 201412 yr It doesn't matter if Cal has depth this year or next year. Because you have to play them for it to be an advantage. I don't get it.
March 9, 201412 yr Since most of the players that you've mentioned have exhibited almost zero basketball intelligence what makes you think they will do the smart thing and return next season? I think you're looking at the Harrisons, Randle, Young, Cauley-Stein and Lee leaving either to enter the draft or through transfer and it wouldn't shock me to see Johnson leave as well. They probably won't but they should. There really isn't an NBA ready player on team in the fact that they would all be better served to come back. Even Randle is extremely limited for the NBA game at this time. He's a short, grounded PF that struggles with size. What the heck is he going to see in the NBA? With the Harrison's body language and seeming disdain for Cal's coaching I could easily see them leaving, even if for the NBDL. I've heard from more than one person that Lee isn't happy, it would not surprise me at all to see him leave. And as for Dakari, well none of us thought Orton would leave either did we? I say at least 5 players from this year's team that are not seniors do not return next season. Outside of Lee any of the others would be crazy to transfer. Why put up with two years guaranteed, when even if you hate UK and Cal you could potentially leave in one more? That would be the kind of decision some of these Einstein's could likely make though.
March 10, 201412 yr I'd rather have Cal's recruiting and Tubby's in game coaching. Tubby lost his job because he wasn't bringing in top talent, not because of his coaching abilities. I think Tubby was the best in game coach we've had in a long time. I absolutely agree with all of this statement (imo Pitino was a great game coach as well). I guess that great minds think alike. Edited March 10, 201412 yr by oldrambler
March 10, 201412 yr Harrison's won't leave for the NBA cause they aren't even close to being ready. Young I'm 50-50 on. WCS and Randle are the only 2 I see leaving. Lee will stay and play more minutes next year and Dalari is going to be a beast next year. I could see this being Cals deepest team next year. But what matters is how the top guys play and as we've seen so far it's been little to be desired. If these guys can improve mentally there is no telling what's possible.I think that Randle and WCS are the only ones that are ready to go. I don't believe they will be the only ones to go. I could see both of the twins possibly transferring and if they are not going to get with the program, attempt to do what Cal wants then i don't care if they go, both need to grow up a lot and right now are two 6'6" cry babies. I hope that Johnson stays, that no doubt would help him greatly, like another said about Orton - who knows ? Lee - not ready but i am not sure what he may do, could declare and come back, wouldn't shock me if he left the program/transferred. I think that Poythress will go. I think that Young may try to go - don't think he's ready but then again in previous years only A. Davis, M. K. Gilchrist, J. Wall and D. Cousins were ones that imo were ready and we saw how many did.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.