December 28, 201312 yr Maybe Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashians are more your speed...:lol2: They are both about how many train-wrecks can you gawk at in one show - just at different ends of the social spectrum.
December 28, 201312 yr Bill Scheft @billscheft 3h BREAKING: Phil Robertson suspension lifted. Pre-Jim Crow blacks sing spirituals of joy and gratitude.
December 28, 201312 yr I've not really weighed in on the A&E/Phil Robertson "controversy" yet but here is my take: A&E played the Christian Right like a fiddle. They knew full well that they wouldn't suspend Phil for any significant period of time because they knew exactly how the rest of the Robertson clan would react. They also knew that Christians would take to social media to defend Phil and their "right to free speech." They knew that would result in increased sales of Duck Dynasty merchandise and a ratings bump when Phil makes his triumphant return. It worked like a charm. Instead of being glad that Cracker Barrel pulled Duck Dynasty merchandise from their shelves Christians took to Facebook clamor that it be restocked and rushed out to buy it when it was. How many of you bought some kind of Phil Robertson Duck Dynasty merchandise after the suspension so you could "Stand With Phil"? All that did is put money in A&E's pocket. Instead, you should have been glad that the merchandise was removed, that would have hurt them worse. I'm sure everyone will be glued to their televisions on his first episode back. That'll give A&E a nice little bump in advertising revenue. As for the "suspension" itself: It was a contrived publicity stunt from the get go and you guys fell for it hook, line and sinker. Phil was never in any danger of being fired and the show was never in any danger of being cancelled or moved to another network. A&E knew they would cave before that happened. They were also smart enough to realize that Christians would quickly turn this into a free speech issue in regards to their faith--which it wasn't. They were, however, lucky that Christians chose to either not read the whole article or to simply focus on Phil's comments regarding homosexuality. Those comments, while a bit crude, did not condemn homosexuals any more than heterosexuals that commit adultery. I have no problem with that. What I did have a problem with, and why I can't see him being celebrated as a great Christian hero are some of his other comments. I can't believe that more Christians were not upset that he said that blacks in the south were "happier before they were entitled by the Civil Rights movement." I don't see how any Christian could think that was okay. I also don't understand the outrage when he condemned other religions for violence like when he said that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor because "they didn't have Jesus." All religions are guilty of this. There have been countless wars started and people murdered in the name of Christianity over the last 2000 years. Our hands are not clean in regards to this. In the end, it worked out just like I thought it would. A&E set the trap, Christians fell for it and A&E will laugh all the way to the bank while Christians celebrate their great "free speech triumph." I really wish people would wake up. Rant over.
December 28, 201312 yr I've not really weighed in on the A&E/Phil Robertson "controversy" yet but here is my take: A&E played the Christian Right like a fiddle. They knew full well that they wouldn't suspend Phil for any significant period of time because they knew exactly how the rest of the Robertson clan would react. They also knew that Christians would take to social media to defend Phil and their "right to free speech." They knew that would result in increased sales of Duck Dynasty merchandise and a ratings bump when Phil makes his triumphant return. It worked like a charm. Instead of being glad that Cracker Barrel pulled Duck Dynasty merchandise from their shelves Christians took to Facebook clamor that it be restocked and rushed out to buy it when it was. How many of you bought some kind of Phil Robertson Duck Dynasty merchandise after the suspension so you could "Stand With Phil"? All that did is put money in A&E's pocket. Instead, you should have been glad that the merchandise was removed, that would have hurt them worse. I'm sure everyone will be glued to their televisions on his first episode back. That'll give A&E a nice little bump in advertising revenue. As for the "suspension" itself: It was a contrived publicity stunt from the get go and you guys fell for it hook, line and sinker. Phil was never in any danger of being fired and the show was never in any danger of being cancelled or moved to another network. A&E knew they would cave before that happened. They were also smart enough to realize that Christians would quickly turn this into a free speech issue in regards to their faith--which it wasn't. They were, however, lucky that Christians chose to either not read the whole article or to simply focus on Phil's comments regarding homosexuality. Those comments, while a bit crude, did not condemn homosexuals any more than heterosexuals that commit adultery. I have no problem with that. What I did have a problem with, and why I can't see him being celebrated as a great Christian hero are some of his other comments. I can't believe that more Christians were not upset that he said that blacks in the south were "happier before they were entitled by the Civil Rights movement." I don't see how any Christian could think that was okay. I also don't understand the outrage when he condemned other religions for violence like when he said that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor because "they didn't have Jesus." All religions are guilty of this. There have been countless wars started and people murdered in the name of Christianity over the last 2000 years. Our hands are not clean in regards to this. In the end, it worked out just like I thought it would. A&E set the trap, Christians fell for it and A&E will laugh all the way to the bank while Christians celebrate their great "free speech triumph." I really wish people would wake up. Rant over. I think you are giving A&E WAAAAAAAY to much credit for planning this all as part of some Great Master Plan...they have at best handled this very ham handedly.
December 28, 201312 yr I've not really weighed in on the A&E/Phil Robertson "controversy" yet but here is my take: A&E played the Christian Right like a fiddle. They knew full well that they wouldn't suspend Phil for any significant period of time because they knew exactly how the rest of the Robertson clan would react. They also knew that Christians would take to social media to defend Phil and their "right to free speech." They knew that would result in increased sales of Duck Dynasty merchandise and a ratings bump when Phil makes his triumphant return. It worked like a charm. Instead of being glad that Cracker Barrel pulled Duck Dynasty merchandise from their shelves Christians took to Facebook clamor that it be restocked and rushed out to buy it when it was. How many of you bought some kind of Phil Robertson Duck Dynasty merchandise after the suspension so you could "Stand With Phil"? All that did is put money in A&E's pocket. Instead, you should have been glad that the merchandise was removed, that would have hurt them worse. I'm sure everyone will be glued to their televisions on his first episode back. That'll give A&E a nice little bump in advertising revenue. As for the "suspension" itself: It was a contrived publicity stunt from the get go and you guys fell for it hook, line and sinker. Phil was never in any danger of being fired and the show was never in any danger of being cancelled or moved to another network. A&E knew they would cave before that happened. They were also smart enough to realize that Christians would quickly turn this into a free speech issue in regards to their faith--which it wasn't. They were, however, lucky that Christians chose to either not read the whole article or to simply focus on Phil's comments regarding homosexuality. Those comments, while a bit crude, did not condemn homosexuals any more than heterosexuals that commit adultery. I have no problem with that. What I did have a problem with, and why I can't see him being celebrated as a great Christian hero are some of his other comments. I can't believe that more Christians were not upset that he said that blacks in the south were "happier before they were entitled by the Civil Rights movement." I don't see how any Christian could think that was okay. I also don't understand the outrage when he condemned other religions for violence like when he said that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor because "they didn't have Jesus." All religions are guilty of this. There have been countless wars started and people murdered in the name of Christianity over the last 2000 years. Our hands are not clean in regards to this. In the end, it worked out just like I thought it would. A&E set the trap, Christians fell for it and A&E will laugh all the way to the bank while Christians celebrate their great "free speech triumph." I really wish people would wake up. Rant over. I think using that logic A&E played GLAD.
December 28, 201312 yr I think using that logic A&E played GLAD. They played anyone who wanted to play the game. GLAAD, Facebook, twitter, Christians, Blacks, Whites, Rights. All got played.
December 28, 201312 yr Bill Scheft @billscheft 3h BREAKING: Phil Robertson suspension lifted. Pre-Jim Crow blacks sing spirituals of joy and gratitude.
December 28, 201312 yr [ATTACH]42195[/ATTACH] PP just wondering, did you see that movie when you were young or not......or was it before your time?
December 28, 201312 yr PP just wondering, did you see that movie when you were young or not......or was it before your time? I don't recall seeing it but Uncle Remus is oddly familiar to me for some reason. I can hear his voice in my head. :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if I watched it around the 4-6 age.
December 28, 201312 yr I don't recall seeing it but Uncle Remus is oddly familiar to me for some reason. I can hear his voice in my head. :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if I watched it around the 4-6 age. I remember seeing it when I was 6-7 years old at a local theater...it used to be available in full length on YouTube, may still be. I'm like you Uncle Remus seems to have been somewhere other than just in that movie.
December 28, 201312 yr I think you are giving A&E WAAAAAAAY to much credit for planning this all as part of some Great Master Plan...they have at best handled this very ham handedly. You don't think they knew the demographics of their core audience and know exactly how those people would react to his suspension? A quick read through of any Facebook timeline from a person south of the Mason/Dixon line was already filled with numerous examples of the Robertson's Christian leadership BEFORE the controversy. They knew exactly what would happen and they also knew exactly how far they could let it ride. This way they could feign sensitivity while still increasing profits.
December 28, 201312 yr I don't recall seeing it but Uncle Remus is oddly familiar to me for some reason. I can hear his voice in my head. :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if I watched it around the 4-6 age. I remember seeing it when I was 6-7 years old at a local theater...it used to be available in full length on YouTube, may still be. I'm like you Uncle Remus seems to have been somewhere other than just in that movie. He was also the voice of one of the Crows in Dumbo.
December 28, 201312 yr You don't think they knew the demographics of their core audience and know exactly how those people would react to his suspension? A quick read through of any Facebook timeline from a person south of the Mason/Dixon line was already filled with numerous examples of the Robertson's Christian leadership BEFORE the controversy. They knew exactly what would happen and they also knew exactly how far they could let it ride. This way they could feign sensitivity while still increasing profits. I'm not saying that they didn't make lemonade from lemons I just don't think it was some great master plan...I think they just followed their emotions to begin with and suspended him and got in trouble with fans then followed the $$$ and got out of trouble. In hind sight everything you are saying is true I just don't think they thought all of this out ahead of time...
December 30, 201312 yr [ATTACH]42195[/ATTACH] PP92, I feel like total crap this morning from some little bug I've picked up. But that, my friend, made me laugh out loud! Edited December 30, 201312 yr by PurplePride92
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.