Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 70 Boise State 55

Featured Replies

Turnovers still an issue as well as free throw shooting.

 

Another issue is players passing once then it's all about trying to make a play. Too many situations where the player was out of control or put their selves in a bad spot on the floor.

 

 

Seemed to play better overall though. WCS played very well and Young had a pretty good night.

 

:thumb: I agree on all statements.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice comments to see from a player that too many (not myself) feels like he doesn't give enough effort or care. He had a nice game last night.

 

Still things to improve on, but overall I think you have to be happy with the defensive effort.

 

I agree. Especially in the 2nd half.

Hate to hear so many complaints, not just you OR, but they are trying to improve. Give this team some time.

 

 

.

 

I didn't mean to sound like I was giving up on them. I personally am big on playing defense and rebounding, my comments were mostly based on the 1st half. Boise was constantly beating them off the dribble and driving to the basket. The passing did leave a lot to be desired imo. 2nd half play was far better, they played great defense and looked like a Kentucky Basketball team that we all love and are accustomed to.

Anyway, yes I agee that they are working, trying to improve. I have said that I think that come January we will see a far better team. Practice time is not as restricted and as in previous seasons, Cal will work them hard, very hard and have time to do it. I think that this is a good group with a good attitude and will get all worked out.

I guess that I am like most U.K. fans in that I catch myself expecting too much - too soon. :idunno: :lol2:

Lee not being there hurt the depth, but he has not given me much hope to believe he can contribute a whole lot. He is just a smaller, more nimble version of Dakari Johnson. Both are always out of position. Poythress seems to be giving the effort, just not able to find the bucket. I just hope Cal does not give up on him because UK badly needs him on the interior as a viable sub. I guess WCS played well. That is the type of opponent he can have a big game against because he is 7 inches taller than anyone he guards. Still perplexing how he can only grab 6 rebounds and score 7 points. UK still needs another wing defender or someone that can apply pressure up top. It will be their defensive downfall. I like Young but he just hangs around on the perimeter. He is a good slasher but refuses to do it.

 

Boise State is a good team, btw. That was a solid win for UK.

Edited by bugatti

They looked better in this game but they still have a lot of things to work on and improve. I'm concerned with their man defense when they play quick guards like Louisville's Russ Smith. I realize Cal doesn't like zone but that may be exactly what he might have to go to for the majority of the minutes in most games. I've not seen anyone, with the exception of Hawkins, who is quick enough to contain quicker guards. The junior college transfer for Baylor killed them all night long by getting a step on the defender and getting into the lane.

 

Heck, a zone is not the worst defense the world. Syracuse does pretty good with that style, even won a national championship. And it worked pretty good for Baylor against the Cats.

Lee not being there hurt the depth, but he has not given me much hope to believe he can contribute a whole lot. He is just a smaller, more nimble version of Dakari Johnson. Both are always out of position. Poythress seems to be giving the effort, just not able to find the bucket. I just hope Cal does not give up on him because UK badly needs him on the interior as a viable sub. I guess WCS played well. That is the type of opponent he can have a big game against because he is 7 inches taller than anyone he guards. Still perplexing how he can only grab 6 rebounds and score 7 points. UK still needs another wing defender or someone that can apply pressure up top. It will be their defensive downfall. I like Young but he just hangs around on the perimeter. He is a good slasher but refuses to do it.

 

Boise State is a good team, btw. That was a solid win for UK.

 

Exactly. Don't know why others don't see that.

 

Nice comments to see from a player that too many (not myself) feels like he doesn't give enough effort or care. He had a nice game last night.

 

Still things to improve on, but overall I think you have to be happy with the defensive effort.

 

Agree, why I posted about him. He does care, it is just going to take time. I think we may see a big improvement once finals are over and they can have more practice time.

  • Author
Boise State hasn't played anyone yet close to the caliper of even the young and raw UK squad. I say UK wins by 15 as the cats will be very angry over the loss in Texas.

 

 

I got this one right on the money in the prediction thread. Still much to improve on. Interesting to see how they play at UNC. Most time young teams play to the level of their opponent so I expect a good game.

Well done! :thumb:

Best thing I saw out of UK was more fight. They battled for rebounds more. They got on the floor going after balls. They still have a ways to go in that area, but if they had fought as hard for the ball against Baylor, they would have won that game. They need to step it up another notch in the next one.

I've concluded that this team with never be aesthetically pleasing to basketball purists. At this point their on-ball defense is bad and they have trouble with pick and rolls. They give up too many offensive rebounds. When they were losing to Baylor, it seemed like they didn't care. There are many other problems, most of which have been mentioned on BGP...............HOWEVER, and despite all of their problems, they may have enough talent to win ugly. If Cal can somehow get them to play with some passion, that would be a big help. I'm hopeful that some of their lethargy is due to not knowing exactly what to do. But the old saying is, you'd rather make a mistake of commission than omission. I hope they have the right chemistry. If so, they'll be tough to beat.

Exactly. Don't know why others don't see that.

 

 

 

Agree, why I posted about him. He does care, it is just going to take time. I think we may see a big improvement once finals are over and they can have more practice time.

 

Camp Cal haha!

  • Author

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42044[/ATTACH]
Lee not being there hurt the depth, but he has not given me much hope to believe he can contribute a whole lot. He is just a smaller, more nimble version of Dakari Johnson. Both are always out of position. Poythress seems to be giving the effort, just not able to find the bucket. I just hope Cal does not give up on him because UK badly needs him on the interior as a viable sub. I guess WCS played well. That is the type of opponent he can have a big game against because he is 7 inches taller than anyone he guards. Still perplexing how he can only grab 6 rebounds and score 7 points. UK still needs another wing defender or someone that can apply pressure up top. It will be their defensive downfall. I like Young but he just hangs around on the perimeter. He is a good slasher but refuses to do it.

 

Boise State is a good team, btw. That was a solid win for UK.

 

I asked this during the update thread. Why was WCS playing so far away from the basket on offense? I understand why on defense. BSU was doing a good job spreading the floor and drawing the bigs out from under the basket. That's going to hurt the Cats at some point this season, too.

 

If Willie could develop a decent hook shot, he'd be unstoppable.

  • Author
If Willie could develop a decent hook shot, he'd be unstoppable.

I've always been a fan of the hook. It's my only hope whenever I play...(!)

Bench was a complete non-factor though.

 

For the bench to be a factor, Cal needs to actually put in a sub here and there...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.