Is the KHSAA as feckless as many believe?

All Tell

I'm posting this here even though it concerns a soccer game because there was such a robust discussion here about the post-game handshake controversy.

I was at the championship game yesterday. Several times in the 2nd half the PA announcer warned people to stay off the field after the game or their school would be fined. At the conclusion of the shoot-out PLD's students rushed the field. Will (and should) the KHSAA follow-up on their threat and fine Dunbar?

I know for years they have announced to stay off the field at the conclusion of the game but in the state finals when a team wins and the student section rushes to celebrate with the team I don't really see a need to fine them. Unless something unsportsmen like happens. as long as it was just a celebration and congratulation of their class mates then I see no need for fines. Also if the school has done all it could do to prevent it then why fine the school for a celebration it goes against everything.

I know for years they have announced to stay off the field at the conclusion of the game but in the state finals when a team wins and the student section rushes to celebrate with the team I don't really see a need to fine them. Unless something unsportsmen like happens. as long as it was just a celebration and congratulation of their class mates then I see no need for fines. Also if the school has done all it could do to prevent it then why fine the school for a celebration it goes against everything.

If you are going to announce a penalty and fine, then do it, if you don't, then why announce that you are going to?

If you are going to announce a penalty and fine, then do it, if you don't, then why announce that you are going to?

Question is who do you fine? They can't fine individuals nor can the schol control individuals all they can do is try and control it. I guess that what I was trying to say is as long as there is no fights and no unsportsmanlike conduct occurring then there is no need for the fine as long as they have attempted to control the situation. Celebrations occur and will always occur and for them to sill make the announcement when they have basis all said earlier that they are not policing post game stuff such as handshakes to me means the announcements shouldn't be made modified but there is no way anyone is going to control fans, students, parents and other individuals from celebrating a championship unless you completely line the field with police officers.

Question is who do you fine? They can't fine individuals nor can the schol control individuals all they can do is try and control it. I guess that what I was trying to say is as long as there is no fights and no unsportsmanlike conduct occurring then there is no need for the fine as long as they have attempted to control the situation. Celebrations occur and will always occur and for them to sill make the announcement when they have basis all said earlier that they are not policing post game stuff such as handshakes to me means the announcements shouldn't be made modified but there is no way anyone is going to control fans, students, parents and other individuals from celebrating a championship unless you completely line the field with police officers.

School are indeed responsible for their students and if an announcement is made to the effect that if you come onto the field there will be a fine, then the school is responsible. Pretty easy really!