October 7, 201312 yr What does everyone think about not using Bernard on that last series? I know he had the fumble the series before but if I am running it every down and the other team knows I am running it, I like my chances at getting a first down more with Bernard than the law firm. No doubt go with Bernard on first down and then use Ellis if you get to short yardage.
October 7, 201312 yr I know most will refuse to admit it because it doesn't fit their narrative, but outside of the inexcusable INT early, Dalton played a good game yesterday. He made some very big throws and put it right on the money right when he needed to. With the defense this team has, Dalton's job is to manage the game and not turn it over. He did that yesterday. He wasn't bad except for the pick. Not sure I would say he was that good though. They had 6 points in 3 quarters after posting 6 all week last week so it's not like he was good. You are right that they seemingly are built for him to just not be bad and they have a chance to win. When they put up the QB stats blurb on each team's first possession of the game, Dalton had almost the exact same yardage coming into the game as Brady and had a better completion percentage than Brady. Brady had 7 TD/1 INT and I believe Daltonj was at 5 TD/2 INT. I don't know what their actual QB ratings were coming in. Just mentioning because I thought it was interesting to see the stats so close with the opinions on each so far apart.
October 7, 201312 yr After every Bengals Game win or lose I like to read the coverage printed in the hometown newspaper of the team that they played . Here is the Boston Globe's coverage .Bengals end Brady's streak, beat Patriots 13-6 - Patriots - Boston.com and here is the Boston Herald's coverage . Patriots & NFL: New England Patriots | Boston Herald
October 7, 201312 yr I was at the game, and feel that Dalton outplayed Brady. I appreciate and agree that Dalton is just an average QB, but he dropped some absolute dimes yesterday. A couple of his passes actually displayed a very deft touch, which is not normally his strength. Brady missed some open receivers , that I'm not sure that you could see on TV; by "missed" I mean he didn't see them, as well as some poor passes. I thought that Dalton chose to run at appropriate times; although he did get sacked a couple times when he should've thrown it away. If he plays that well, they should win a lot of games.
October 7, 201312 yr After every Bengals Game win or lose I like to read the coverage printed in the hometown newspaper of the team that they played Ha, I do the exact same thing.
October 7, 201312 yr How many time outs did they burn in the second half? The game plan was great I'll give them that. Also cutting by far their best full back was dumb. Pecko is not a full back. When your leading against Tom Brady. You want to make sure that you don't even have one play where it looks like the Pats might have a formation that would hurt the called defensive play. I have no problems with the timeouts. The Pats were the ones who had to make sure they saved them, since they were trailing. The Bengals were in a position to use them to make sure they were 100% correct on what they wanted to do. If they don't use them when they did, then they leave the game with still 3 timeouts. I have no problem with how they used them yesterday. It wasn't like Chicago when they couldn't even get the right amount of guys in. They used them smartly this game.
October 7, 201312 yr I know most will refuse to admit it because it doesn't fit their narrative, but outside of the inexcusable INT early, Dalton played a good game yesterday. He made some very big throws and put it right on the money right when he needed to. With the defense this team has, Dalton's job is to manage the game and not turn it over. He did that yesterday. I have tried to depend Dalton in the pass, saying he needed more time to have a good judgement of him. However yesterday was an average day, not great but not bad. He still only led one touchdown drive and threw a pick in the red zone. I sit in the end zone for each home game, and you will be suprised how many guys end up with seperation that he either does not see, or chooses not to throw it and takes the check down instead. He did have some nice plays though, and was good enough to win. So I will stick to he played average. However they still need better than average if they want to make a run in the playoffs.
October 7, 201312 yr I was at the game and agree that Dalton played better, but I also agree he has a problem with progressions. He is either #1 or the checkdown, not much in-between. He missed a wide open uncovered Sanzenbacher on a one play that would have been an easy 6, but Dalton didn't even look that way. Regarding the monsoon...don't think I have ever been in a rain storm that hard that fast where I didn't make an effect to get out of it!
October 7, 201312 yr I was at the game and agree that Dalton played better, but I also agree he has a problem with progressions. He is either #1 or the checkdown, not much in-between. He missed a wide open uncovered Sanzenbacher on a one play that would have been an easy 6, but Dalton didn't even look that way. Regarding the monsoon...don't think I have ever been in a rain storm that hard that fast where I didn't make an effect to get out of it! I've said all along Dalton's main issues are he panics too quickly and he locks in on his targets too early, so I agree completely with your assessment.
October 7, 201312 yr When your leading against Tom Brady. You want to make sure that you don't even have one play where it looks like the Pats might have a formation that would hurt the called defensive play. I have no problems with the timeouts. The Pats were the ones who had to make sure they saved them, since they were trailing. The Bengals were in a position to use them to make sure they were 100% correct on what they wanted to do. If they don't use them when they did, then they leave the game with still 3 timeouts. I have no problem with how they used them yesterday. It wasn't like Chicago when they couldn't even get the right amount of guys in. They used them smartly this game. Called one b/c they had 10 guys in on a play according to the broadcast. Called another one after an unexplained stoppage where they had forever to call a play and the ref warned them they would start the play clock with 6 seconds. Also on that play they let it get down to 6 for no reason before the stoppage.
October 7, 201312 yr How good is Tom Brady any more? Is the seemingly big drop b/c of his weapons? There is zero doubt you would take Manning over him right now and that has been a pretty lengthy debate year by year. Also this isn't trying to downplay how well the Gals played yesterday and they did also make Rodgers look pedestrian.
October 7, 201312 yr How good is Tom Brady any more? Is the seemingly big drop b/c of his weapons? There is zero doubt you would take Manning over him right now and that has been a pretty lengthy debate year by year. Also this isn't trying to downplay how well the Gals played yesterday and they did also make Rodgers look pedestrian. How many drops did they have? Seemed like a lot.
October 7, 201312 yr How good is Tom Brady any more? Is the seemingly big drop b/c of his weapons? There is zero doubt you would take Manning over him right now and that has been a pretty lengthy debate year by year. Also this isn't trying to downplay how well the Gals played yesterday and they did also make Rodgers look pedestrian. 63% completion %, 4,827 yds, 34 TDs, 8 INTs.....That's his line last year. So to answer your question, yes, it's due to lack of weapons.
October 7, 201312 yr How many drops did they have? Seemed like a lot. I counted at least 5 yesterday, which was one of the "cleaner" games by the WRs all year.
October 7, 201312 yr I know most will refuse to admit it because it doesn't fit their narrative, but outside of the inexcusable INT early, Dalton played a good game yesterday. He made some very big throws and put it right on the money right when he needed to. With the defense this team has, Dalton's job is to manage the game and not turn it over. He did that yesterday. 20-27 completion is 70+ percent. He is doing fine. Some would just never be satisfied eeven if we had Brady
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.